Who works a hella lot of hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

how may hours per week do you work

• 0 hours/wk

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • 1-5 hours/wk

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • 6-10 hours/wk

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • 11-20 hours/wk

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • 21-30 hours/wk

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • 31-40 hours/wk

Votes: 23 16.0%
  • 41-60 hours/wk

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • 61-80 hours/wk

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • 81+ hours/wk

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
put down how many hours you work per week

Members don't see this ad.

usually 40-50 and don't get OT when every other tech does.....fair?

actual hours or hours I get paid for?

my stipend is a set 15 hours/week, but I actually do MAYBE 7-8 hours of work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put in only the paid hours but it doesn't matter.

Nice to see that SDN members are rather productive members of society,

I pull in at least 75 hours per week nowa days.:scared:

I don't get overtime pay either for tutoring because I'm self employed but isn't there a law against that if you are employed, I think it's illegal for them to work you more than 40 hours without overtime pay.

RT job: depends on the schedule and whether I feel like overtime or not, so between 24-60 hrs per week
Continuing education writing job: flexible hours, as it's a freelance gig, but usually <10 hrs per week
Volunteer EMS/Fire: depends on call volume and availability, but I try to be available about 24-36 hrs per week
Research/Writing: depends on what I'm working on but lately, 16-20 hrs per week would probably be pretty close

I don't get overtime pay either for tutoring because I'm self employed but isn't there a law against that if you are employed, I think it's illegal for them to work you more than 40 hours without overtime pay.
It depends on the type of work you're doing and I believe it varies from state to state as well.

someone from Cali does (maybe Oakland) hehe. :cool:

For those of you with tech jobs, what certifications did you have to get them or did you train/certify afterwards? Did you apply online or ask people you knew?

"Exempt employee" (most salaried employees) are "exempt" from certain wage and hour laws including OT.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you with tech jobs, what certifications did you have to get them or did you train/certify afterwards? Did you apply online or ask people you knew?

Common cert for entry level engineer is EIT. It's not that big of a deal but it gives you a little bit more credibility when applying for a job and maybe a small bonus or raise.

right now 20 hrs a week as limited by work-study. in undergrad, there were weeks i worked 40hrs with class/assignments/tests as a consultant. when i didn't have school, 50hrs a week.

full-time undergrad plus 25-hour workweeks (32 last week) plus 8-10 hours doing research each week.

Throughout my degree I've worked as many as 32 hours a week while taking 16 upper division science credits. Average is probably around 15 hrs/wk with 15 upper division science credits

I don't get OT as a tech, it's BS. They took it away to give to the nurses and LPNs!!!!!!!!!!! Bah! I work the same . . . about 50...but I also volly on a fire dpt for about 10 hrs a week..so like murphy said...it seems to be a little subjective.

Common cert for entry level engineer is EIT. It's not that big of a deal but it gives you a little bit more credibility when applying for a job and maybe a small bonus or raise.

Sorry, not that. I've had a job offer for entry level engineering. I need paid clinical experience

70 hours in 7 days. 7 on, 7 off. :D

50 hours of real work (biopharm. company) and full time Masters program (18 credits) on top of that plus thesis write up. Hubby is a busy guy. At least he's not doing all of that AND studying for his MCAT like last year! Phew!

60-64 hrs. over 7 days, so its not too bad, but that just means no weekend for KaraKiz.. more :sleep: would be nice...