Why are amino acids called that and not amino bases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

__AVI8R__

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Amino acids contain carboxyl and amino groups which are acidic and basic respectively. In that case, why exactly are amino acids called amino acids and not amino bases or neither? Is one functional group more "dominant"? Or does the word "acid" in amino acid refering to something else?

Note: I am NOT referring to acidic or basic amino acids in which the words "acidic" and "basic" refer to the side chain characteristic.

Members don't see this ad.

Amino acids contain carboxyl and amino groups which are acidic and basic respectively. In that case, why exactly are amino acids called amino acids and not amino bases or neither? Is one functional group more "dominant"? Or does the word "acid" in amino acid refering to something else?

Note: I am NOT referring to acidic or basic amino acids in which the words "acidic" and "basic" refer to the side chain characteristic.

The amino group is considered to be basic, so saying "amino base" is redundant. Amino acid = amine + carboxylic acid.

The amino group is considered to be basic, so saying "amino base" is redundant. Amino acid = amine + carboxylic acid.

Wouldn't it also be redundant to call carboxylic acid "acidic"?

I know this isn't necessary for the MCAT. It's just a little thing that's bugging me and I've got to find out why.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it also be redundant to call carboxylic acid "acidic"?

Carboxylic acids get their name to show their acidic properties in water (basically giving up protons and lowering the pH). I guess amines can be called amino bases to show their basic properties in water (gaining protons and increasing pH), but the word "base" is rarely used after a name of a compound. Bases are generally simply called amines (derived from ammonia), hydroxides (think sodium hydroxide etc.), and acid conjugates (think sodium acetate etc.)

Amino acids get their name because they consist of an amino group and a carboxyl group. The amino group is derived from an amine (or ammonia) and is basic. The carboxyl group is derived from a carboxylic acid and is acidic. So the word amino acid inherently shows it has both acidic and basic properties due to their functional groups.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Carboxylic acids get their name to show their acidic properties in water (basically giving up protons and lowering the pH). I guess amines can be called amino bases to show their basic properties in water (gaining protons and increasing pH), but the word "base" is rarely used after a name of a compound. Bases are generally simply called amines (derived from ammonia), hydroxides (think sodium hydroxide etc.), and acid conjugates (think sodium acetate etc.)

Amino acids get their name because they consist of an amino group and a carboxyl group. The amino group is derived from an amine (or ammonia) and is basic. The carboxyl group is derived from a carboxylic acid and is acidic. So the word amino acid inherently shows it has both acidic and basic properties due to their functional groups.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense now.

The etymology of scientific terms is actually quite interesting. If you trace the word "amino" all the way back, it is thought to be a form of ammonia, which came from "Ammon." Ammonia was named after Ammon because apparently the Romans discovered huge deposits of ammonium chloride salts near the temple of Ammon. It's always been associated with ammonia, which has always been associated with bases in general. You could call an amino acid a carboxylic base, I suppose but that would just be confusing because carboxylates are acidic and not basic.

Reactions: 1 user