Why are so many pharmacy schools extending their deadlines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HPAbby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of them have extended their deadlines to May/ June for Fall 2018. Do they not have enough applicants? Do they want to collect more money from applications? I this fairly typical?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if this is typical or not.

But, I've been hearing on here and from a couple schools that overall number of applications are down, the lowest since 2008. So schools are having a hard time filling seats and they're extending the deadlines to hopefully get stragglers or those more qualified than those on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
However, the decrease isn't necessarily global for all schools.

Like I'm going to CU Skaggs. They said applications overall are down, but their personal applications are up, like 15%. So maybe less are applying overall, but people are being more picky about what schools they apply to (i.e. applying to those in their region or top-ranked schools?)

Yeah, I just thought it was strange because only a handful of schools are sticking to their original deadline.

Most of them have extended their deadlines to May/ June for Fall 2018. Do they not have enough applicants? Do they want to collect more money from applications? I this fairly typical?

You hit the nail on the head. They don't have enough victims students to fill thier seats. They want to get as many students so they can get maximum fed money. For some reason the last two years have been terrible for pharmacy schools. This is mostly due to the US's lower birthrate and students realizing that pharmacy is not a great occupation anymore compared to other occupations. The sad part is schools have already lowered their standards and they still are not able to get students. Once the fed starts being more selective with the hundreds of millions of dollars is it giving out many schools will go belly up.

Reactions: 2 users
However, the decrease isn't necessarily global for all schools.

Like I'm going to CU Skaggs. They said applications overall are down, but their personal applications are up, like 15%.

They extended their application deadline too though

they added a new pcat date in feb this year so extending the deadline is for those students getting the pcat scores in, but also bc of low applicant rate

Let's be honest during the recession most business and tech degrees looked bleak. Now that industries are making money again the pharmacy degree looks way overpriced with its limited opportunities.