Why are some med schools longer than others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhD2MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was under then general assumption that Med school was 4 years long. I was looking around and saw that some schools, especially those in the carribean are longer. WHy is that?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have to differentiate between the offshore schools and UWI, which is designed to train doctors for the Caribbean. UWI (in Trinidad and Jamaica) is I believe 6 years because the English Caribbean follows the British education system and people enter medical school after A-levels, as opposed to after finishing a first degree. Keep in mind A levels are basically at the level of early university courses. Most British med schools are like this and its only recently that a few programs of shorter length have been developed there.

From what I know, the only offshore schools that are over 4 years take people without the usual prereq's, so these students need time to complete them or do other coursework.

The previous poster is right. I come from a the Dom. Rep. There, you start studying medicine right after high school and it takes longer than "med school" in the USA. I moved to this country right after high school graduation, my high school friends that decided to go for med are already doctors and are now in their intership/residency stage. I will start med school in august...

Karina