Why can't Pharmacies have high school interns?

FantasyVesperia

Always pushing forward...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always wanted to know this, but why don't pharmacies have high school interns? I remembered when I wanted to become a pharmacist/pharmacy tech and they wouldn't let high school students intern only undergraduates, or pharmacy students.

Members don't see this ad.

I always wanted to know this, but why don't pharmacies have high school interns? I remembered when I wanted to become a pharmacist/pharmacy tech and they wouldn't let high school students intern only undergraduates, or pharmacy students.

It may have more to do with being under 18, but I don't really know beyond that.

One of my friends from high school works at a pharmacy. He is a pharmacy technician, and he was able to work during high school. It is probably more the policy of that pharmacy rather than in the industry.

Members don't see this ad :)

In the pharmacy world, intern refers to a student who has been accepted to and is enrolled in a Doctor of Pharmacy program and is licensed as a pharmacy intern in their state. You have to be enrolled in a Pharm.D. program to be eligible for licensure.

In the pharmacy world, intern refers to a student who has been accepted to and is enrolled in a Doctor of Pharmacy program and is licensed as a pharmacy intern in their state. You have to be enrolled in a Pharm.D. program to be eligible for licensure.

Oh okay that makes sense. It'll be cool for high school students to help out though. You never know, I probably would've been more interested in pharmacy if I got the proper experience at a retail etc.

Oh okay that makes sense. It'll be cool for high school students to help out though. You never know, I probably would've been more interested in pharmacy if I got the proper experience at a retail etc.
You might try a hospital pharmacy.

You might try a hospital pharmacy.

I'll check there. But I have another question, (sorry) I'm already interning at a vet hospital, and interested in going into vet. medicine, is it common for students to venture out of their chosen field to experience something else. What I'm trying to say is, I would like to intern for a pharmacist to see if I'm still interested, is this okay?

I actually work at Walgreens as a Pharmacy Technician and I'm still in High School.

Sent from my iPod touch using SDN Mobile app

I'll check there. But I have another question, (sorry) I'm already interning at a vet hospital, and interested in going into vet. medicine, is it common for students to venture out of their chosen field to experience something else. What I'm trying to say is, I would like to intern for a pharmacist to see if I'm still interested, is this okay?

They won't know unless you tell them, and they likely won't care even if they do

I actually work at Walgreens as a Pharmacy Technician and I'm still in High School.

How old are you and how did you ask them?

How old are you and how did you ask them?

I'm 18 now but I was 17 when they gave me the job. My teacher knew the pharmacy manager and told me about a job opening.

I'm 18 now but I was 17 when they gave me the job. My teacher knew the pharmacy manager and told me about a job opening.

So I should just call a bunch of pharmacies and ask them if they have a job opening as a pharmacy technician? Should I tell them my age?

I thought pharmacy technicians need 2 years of training, and a high school diploma?

I checked Walgreens and they allow high school interns a pharmacy technician. I'll probably get into this after my vet. internship.

So I should just call a bunch of pharmacies and ask them if they have a job opening as a pharmacy technician? Should I tell them my age?

Yes I would do both. I would also go talk to them in person.

I thought pharmacy technicians need 2 years of training, and a high school diploma?

I checked Walgreens and they allow high school interns a pharmacy technician. I'll probably get into this after my vet. internship.

Not necessarily, all you need is a pharmacy technician license from your states board of pharmacy to legally work behind the counter. You need your diploma for certification but you don't necessarily need certification to work in a pharmacy.

I would say it's better to figure out what you like and dislike now than later.
Since you still have at least another year or two left in high school, if I'm not mistaken, then you're way ahead of the curve by figuring out what you'd like to do this early. Most people in my class had no idea what they wanted to do by graduation.

Almost every experience is a good one; explore your interests!

I would say it's better to figure out what you like and dislike now than later.
Since you still have at least another year or two left in high school, if I'm not mistaken, then you're way ahead of the curve by figuring out what you'd like to do this early. Most people in my class had no idea what they wanted to do by graduation.

Almost every experience is a good one; explore your interests!

Thanks so much.