Why Diagnostic Tests are Worthless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you may have read in my other posts, I think diagnostic tests are completely worthless. Since I've seen numerous threads pop up on the subject (ex. “My diagnostic is horrible, can I do well on the real thing?”), I thought I'd give my reasons as to why I feel this way. To start, I will define what I consider a diagnostic test. When I talk about diagnostic tests, I am referring to a test that is taken prior to any major studying. Now that the term is out of the way, time to go into the reasons.

For the purpose of this analysis I will not mention any specific companies. However, I will say that people should not put much credence into them. These tests are typically designed for the taker to score low so the company can accomplish two things. First, an abnormally hard diagnostic helps a company fulfill their point guarantee. I know that even after I finished studying, I would still not score well if I took the diagnostic. Secondly, it demeans a student into believing they must take this course and/or study hard. While it’s true that the scare factor can help motivate people to study, I don’t think it’s necessary. If your drive to become a doctor isn’t enough to get you to buckle down, there’s a problem. Worse still, the diagnostic given may be in a completely different format from the actual MCAT.

Even if the diagnostic is an actual AAMC full length, it does not give the taker an accurate assessment of their weaknesses. This statement sounds surprising because this is supposed to be the goal of a diagnostic, but bear with me on this point. To describe my reason for this I'll give an example. Let's say you're really good at physics, but you haven't taken a course in awhile. At the same time you're bad at biology, but you just finished a course. On the practice test your biology score would probably be higher because it's fresh in your mind. That said, once you start studying, your physics skills will have the rust taken off of them and you'll start seeing huge gains. Unfortunately, since your practice test said your physics was weak, you've been focusing on that instead of biology, your real weakness. Thus, rather than detailing a student’s weaknesses, a diagnostic tells you what courses you’ve just taken.

Now you may say, “I know my weaknesses already. That example won’t happen to me because I would already know physics is my strength and biology my weakness” If this is truly the case, why take the diagnostic?

All that a diagnostic tells you is that you are not ready to take the test. Well, is that honestly a surprise? It's not like you have been studying for months before you took this test. The diagnostic tells you what you already know, you have to actually study for the MCAT. Take a practice test after you've gotten through at least half of the content, then you'll be able to gain a better understanding of your weaknesses. In the meantime, pound away at those TIMED practice problems and use them to help gauge your strengths and weakness. Just stay away from most of your full lengths until you've finished your content review.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think the diagnostic can be valuable if you consider yourself a good test taker from the start. I'll admit I'm a lazy student, but my only strength is in standardized test taking - I've been doing it forever (tons of Mu Alpha Theta competitions back in H.S.). For me, the Kaplan diagnostic was a great help - since I was already decent at test taking, it gave me a good indication of how much science I knew. So I think if you can control for certain factors when taking the diagnostic, it can be relatively valuable.

For example, I took one of the free Kaplan diagnostics in April 2007 and scored a 24, with a 5 in Bio. I hadn't taken Bio 2 yet, but when I did the Kaplan diagnostic after taking Bio 2, I jumped up to a 29, gaining 4 points in Bio Sci. Anyway, I guess my point is that it was pretty helpful to me.

Has anyone taken the kaplan online diagnostic test AFTER your MCAT preparation? (http://kaplan.base77.com/MCAT/)

Its definitely designed to yield lower scores. I just finished taking it, my verbal was an 8 (using a AAMC practice test, it was 10 BEFORE mcat preparation). The passages were easier to understand, but there were 45 questions and only 50 minutes.

How did everyone else do?

In 2006.... 17 on my diagnostic, 31R on the final...

I got a 3 on BS haha, I was just guessing....

I could see the viability in a diagnostic if it were merely to reveal what the MCAT is.... how the timing will go, give you a first shot at verbal.... and just give you an idea for the type of questions you're actually studying to answer because a passage based question tends to be different than any exam we take in university.

However, there shouldn't be a score.... nor answers. As mentioned above, they merely serve the purpose of making good on their guarantees and potentially to scare an student.... I luckily wasn't scared... I knew I knew nothing lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno - I realize how easy it is to exploit a diagnostic test, but I think determining baseline performance in any case is extremely useful.

If nothing else, treat them as extra practice problems. You should still start to develop a sense of where you are lacking.

My humble opinion.

I am assuming many people have a target for the MCAT score they'd like to receive. A diagnostic will help people understand where they stand in order to attain that goal. Motivation like the OP said. I do agree with the OP that the companies that dole out these diagnostics are extremely unlike the MCAT and are doing future test takers a disservice.

Students may be better served using AAMC 3 or another AAMC test as a diagnostic tool rather than a freebie from a private company. AAMC3 is free anyway right?

My humble opinion.

I am assuming many people have a target for the MCAT score they'd like to receive. A diagnostic will help people understand where they stand in order to attain that goal. Motivation like the OP said. I do agree with the OP that the companies that dole out these diagnostics are extremely unlike the MCAT and are doing future test takers a disservice.

Students may be better served using AAMC 3 or another AAMC test as a diagnostic tool rather than a freebie from a private company. AAMC3 is free anyway right?

I did not think that the Kaplan diagnostic was any different from Kaplan's other exams (Kaplan 2 - 11). All the Kaplan tests in general are pretty difficult - but the scoring is normalized so you should end up with a reasonable estimate of what you'd get on an actual MCAT.

Also, as someone who has taken a ton of MCAT practice exams when preparing, and who has taught Kaplan - I can tell you that no test prep company can give you completely accurate versions of MCAT practice tests - they are supposed to use their own resources to come up with something similar. I have used questions from the following companies and NONE of them are completely like the AAMC 1 - 10:

Kaplan
Gold Standard
EK

I agree with the OP about the diagnostic setups of many of these exams. They murder you so your grade will rise. Basically.

However, I suggest future MCATers take a diagnostic because it helped me with two points

1) Scared me to death and got me in full MCAT mode. I seriously think that had I not taken this diagnostic when I did, I'd have delayed a bit. I'm a non trad and have work and school and it's always easier to focus on task at hand rather than a test 6 months away. Or 3 now. :)

2) The CBT Princeton Review test, the one I took, seems to sell itself as the exact format of the MCAT. So, I'll take a bunch of these CBTs so that on the day of the exam, I don't have to use time paging through instructions that will be needless. Also, though, this applies to practice tests themselves, not necessarily the first cold diagnostic. My friends are getting TOTALs of 9s (TOTAL) on their diagnostics. The AAMC one that is free online now. I've yet to take it. My first diagnostic was significantly better than that score, however, if it were that good, I'd post the grade! ;) Which I won't. I'll hopefully be one of those ~18-26-31MCAT grade folks. Nuff said.

So, the diagnostic itself I think has some less than obvious benefits, the greatest being to light that fire. Even if fear gets it going.

good luck all!

I'm MCAT 5/1 or 5/27, I still haven't reconciled in my mind which I should take. I'd like a month of non-school time to study up in May, yet I don't wanna delay my app!

Keep it up!
D712

I took a (free) TPR diagnostic test and got a 24. The next week I took the (free) AAMC CBT test and got a 30. (I've already been properly chastised for wasting it, so no comments there!)

Nothing changed between the two tests. Obviously, the first was scaled to be more difficult than the real test, and when researched this on the internet, it is definitely not a single incidence. TPR seems to yield scores 1-2 points lower in each section, while Kaplan seems to be slightly inflated. I can't say for the other review companies.

i actually took a kaplan diagnostic (i guess it's a diagnostic. it was shortened. was one of two tests on a kaplan CD i borrowed from 2003) - i thought the diags were supposed to be harsher to scare you but on this one you could miss 10 questions or more and still make over a 10 in the section (and there were only 45q per section!). good practice and i'm glad to get in the computer testing with a countdownclock zone, but the score itself i'm not puttin much trust in...

The #1 reason I refuse to take a diagnostic is because I am confident about my study schedule and currently have a really positive attitude toward studying. I don't want any chance of being discouraged by an artificially low diag score.

The kaplan diagnostic test is harder than the real test, so that they can make sure that ur score "improves on the real one" so that u dont come back to them and ask for a refund.

If this is the case - if one achieves an exceptional score on the Kaplan diagnostic, then would this be an indication that they would handle the MCAT with relative ease, and earn a competitive MCAT score?

Thanks!

I'll bump this, too.
I just took a Kaplan diagnostic that goes along with the course, and I got a 20. I've been studying for 3.5 months now.
I feel derailed, but I am really hoping it's artificially low.

I am trying to follow the SN2ed schedule and it says to use the EK bio book but do the problems from Berkeley. Should I still use the diagnostics as a practice "after I've studied everything" rather than before just for practice?

I have already practiced the AAMC exams before as well as 1001 examkrackers and 101 verbal, I dont know what is the best replacement? Should I buy the Princeton Review verbal workbook and just do that or do that as well as Berkeley verbal? (Verbal is my weakest area).

For SN2ed schedule, should should I replace 1001 questions with other passages?

Should I still practice the AAMC exams towards the end just to experience the real MCAT format etc? Thank you.