Why did you pick your medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymoose1640

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only thread I could find on this topic was pretty old, so here goes:

I'm a longtime lurker but I made an account to ask this question: why did you pick your medical school? I'm genuinely curious to hear the different reasons people have for choosing a particular school. If you have more than one reason, please list the main reason you chose X school. Any and all answers are welcome (e.g. because it was the only school I got into, prestige, financial reasons, the curriculum, the students, etc.).

I'm currently applying this cycle, so any insight people have is much appreciated!! also, if you want you can also add whether you regret your choice or not or whether you feel like your reason was a good enough reason to pick a certain school.

I'm also not looking for school specific information, you don't even need to list your school if you don't want. I'm more looking to see what people eventually chose to weigh as their number 1 reason to pick X school over Y school.

Thanks guys! sorry for the long winded question :/

Edit: deleted information that seemed to be derailing the thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It was the most well regarded/highest ranked one that I interviewed at

Instead of asking this weird open-ended question you should just tell us the 3 schools and get it over with

Reactions: 6 users
Location, location, location, It was the school my wife attends.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Location. I wanted to be in a very specific location, applied to the 2 schools that could give me that in addition to my others, and I was fortunate enough to get into one of them. The fact that it wound up being my cheapest option (and my highest-ranked option) didn't hurt any, either, but that was the main reason. Just depends on what you value most.

you should just tell us the 3 schools and get it over with

Seriously. This "anonymity" facade is just a poor attempt at feigned humility (in this and similar threads). If one is so worried about being identified, then one should not post more revealing information in other comments in other threads.

Liked the student solidarity/camaraderie I saw on my interview

I don't see a problem with keeping the question open-ended; this thread may be more useful to future readers if it's kept vague. Haven't decided on a school yet, but I'll update when I do!

Reactions: 7 users
It was close to home, and they gave me scholarship money

Thanks to everyone who gave a real reply to this question! Seems like location is the most popular reason with scholarship $ a close second. I appreciate seeing that at least one person (@YogaBe@r) chose their school for the camaraderie, to you I ask - was the impression of the students at your interview how it is in real life? I've had both very positive and very negative views of students at some of my interviews but I can't decide if I should pass judgment on the school given I only saw a small sampling of the students, I would love to hear about your experience!

Seriously. This "anonymity" facade is just a poor attempt at feigned humility (in this and similar threads). If one is so worried about being identified, then one should not post more revealing information in other comments in other threads.
the reason I didn't include the schools I was accepted at was because I'm not looking for help choosing among the schools yet. I have until April 30th to make a decision and I'm still waiting to hear from many other schools. This post was to satisfy my curiosity - what reasons do other people have for choosing a particular medical school and do they regret making the decision they did? But thank you for your insight, I will keep that in mind when I post to SDN in the future.

I don't see a problem with keeping the question open-ended; this thread may be more useful to future readers if it's kept vague. Haven't decided on a school yet, but I'll update when I do!
thanks for saying this parachichi, this is exactly why I wanted to keep the thread open-ended and I appreciate you backing me up :) good luck with your decision and good luck with the rest of your cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Low cost and a nice environment! Also, the school just clicked really well with me

The price was right, was impressed by the institution and clinical training opportunities, the folks treated me right on interview day, students seemed happy and enthusiastic, students destroy the Step exams and match very well, etc, etc, etc. Did not pick it for location. Never was wild about the location.

Thanks to everyone who gave a real reply to this question! Seems like location is the most popular reason with scholarship $ a close second. I appreciate seeing that at least one person (@YogaBe@r) chose their school for the camaraderie, to you I ask - was the impression of the students at your interview how it is in real life? I've had both very positive and very negative views of students at some of my interviews but I can't decide if I should pass judgment on the school given I only saw a small sampling of the students, I would love to hear about your experience!

the reason I didn't include the schools I was accepted at was because I'm not looking for help choosing among the schools yet. I have until April 30th to make a decision and I'm still waiting to hear from many other schools. This post was to satisfy my curiosity - what reasons do other people have for choosing a particular medical school and do they regret making the decision they did? But thank you for your insight, I will keep that in mind when I post to SDN in the future.

thanks for saying this parachichi, this is exactly why I wanted to keep the thread open-ended and I appreciate you backing me up :) good luck with your decision and good luck with the rest of your cycle!

I absolutely LOVE MY SCHOOL! Lol could not be happier with my decision. When I spoke to the students, they seemed genuinely happy and sincere when they spoke about the school. The staff support I have here is amazing and exactly how it was described to me on my interview day. I just felt like I belonged at my school. I love my classmates and no one is a true gunner (no one sabotages anyone) and that makes all the difference. I love being in medical school. I might be miserable studying some days, but I'm happy to get the chance to feel miserable and I'm in great company for it. :) choose the school you felt like you belonged with.

Any school will for the most part give you an amazing education. But it's the people there that will make your 4 years either happy or miserable.

Feel free to shoot me any questions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I absolutely LOVE MY SCHOOL! Lol could not be happier with my decision. When I spoke to the students, they seemed genuinely happy and sincere when they spoke about the school. The staff support I have here is amazing and exactly how it was described to me on my interview day. I just felt like I belonged at my school. I love my classmates and no one is a true gunner (no one sabotages anyone) and that makes all the difference. I love being in medical school. I might be miserable studying some days, but I'm happy to get the chance to feel miserable and I'm in great company for it. :) choose the school you felt like you belonged with.

Any school will for the most part give you an amazing education. But it's the people there that will make your 4 years either happy or miserable.

Feel free to shoot me any questions :)
this is really awesome to hear! thank you for sharing!! I have a feeling my ultimate choice is going to come down to the students and the environment at the school so I'm glad to hear that an interview/second look can really give you a true impression of the school.

I was accepted to only one.

The benefit is that it was one of the higher ranked schools that I applied to all four cycles and certainly the highest ranked of the last two cycles. It was also the least expensive and had some other positive things that wowed me.

There is only one thing I really hate about the school (outside of certain staff members) is it's location.

alot of people are saying location and i think that's a huge part of the decision. However, you would never say that during an interview which i find is kinda dumb. Location is such a valid reason >.>

I was accepted to only one.

The benefit is that it was one of the higher ranked schools that I applied to all four cycles and certainly the highest ranked of the last two cycles. It was also the least expensive and had some other positive things that wowed me.

There is only one thing I really hate about the school (outside of certain staff members) is it's location.

can't win em all

It was the cheapest. Price should be the most important factor (unless you're loaded), then location, then prestige. Many people who say cost doesn't matter haven't started repaying their loans.

Reactions: 6 users
It was the cheapest. Price should be the most important factor (unless you're loaded), then location, then prestige. Many people who say cost doesn't matter haven't started repaying their loans.
Cost is definitely something I'm extremely concerned about but I have a question for you - how much of a cost difference would be "negligible" in the long run, in your opinion? For example, you have two schools where location and prestige are much more favorable than one school but that school is $50,000 more over 4 years (this is hypothetical so sorry I can't think of two schools off the top of my head). Is $50,000 more in loans "worth it" or would it still be better to always pick your cheaper option?

This thread has been really helpful, thank you to everyone for your responses!

So far, the one I'm planning on going to is the best located and best reputation of the ones I've been admitted to. At this point, nothing aside from a huge scholarship would make me budge on that.

I chose which schools I applied to based on location, whether they accepted OOS students, and whether or not they would make me retake Physics.

I chose my school over my other acceptance because:
1. I got a good vibe on interview day.
2. Shortened pre-clinical curriculum.
3. Plenty of opportunities had I wanted to do research, community service, etc.

That's really a personal prioritization. Some want extremely competitive residencies, in which case prestige and research opportunities trump everything else. Others have little geographic preference, making location meaningless. Some might be engaged to a significant other that can't relocate or have close ties to a place that makes moving extremely difficult. Finally, some people don't really view the debt as all that concerning in light of their future budgetary needs and thus the debt is a minimal factor.

Only OP can decide what matters to them in the end.

I wanted to be happy and learn in an environment I could thrive in, plus free time/optional class is the best.

They accepted me

But if I was able to interview at a few so I think I can make some judgment on things I thought were important.

Location is a big one...you'll likely spend 4 years there, so you want to enjoy the place.

Cost, I doubt I would have gone OOS/Private over an IS school. Your talking 20k a year difference in tuition.

How do the students feel? Is everybody happy and enjoying the process? All of the schools I went to seemed to have a good atmosphere so I'm not sure what a bad one feels like but I guess you'd know. Grading. Pass/Fail is nice.

Facilities and what not...do they have things you'd use etc. That's the only thing I think my current school lacks compared to one I interviewed at, at one school the Medical school was more of its own thing and had quite a bit of designated area for lounge and group study. We have one kitchen we share, some group study rooms that are often occupied by other activities...so there could be more.

Where your rotations will be and if it works with what you want. Different pro's and cons to these things so I won't make a definitive statement on whats best.

Opportunities. Could be for anything. Research, EC stuff, Interest groups, whatever.

Theres some curriculum type stuff I would think about, but its really hard to get a gauge on this until your actually in school...I don't know how other schools are but sometimes lectures leave a lot to be desired.

1. Strong department for the field I'm interested in
2. Highly ranked, very well regarded, tons of resources
3. Cheapest
4. Location ain't bad
5. Clicked very well with the other potential students at the second look event
6. It was basically offering everything I was interested in
7. Was one of my top choices going in and post interview for nebulous "fit" reasons

These are in no particular order

Cost is definitely something I'm extremely concerned about but I have a question for you - how much of a cost difference would be "negligible" in the long run, in your opinion? For example, you have two schools where location and prestige are much more favorable than one school but that school is $50,000 more over 4 years (this is hypothetical so sorry I can't think of two schools off the top of my head). Is $50,000 more in loans "worth it" or would it still be better to always pick your cheaper option?

Depends on your specialty. I am EM. For me, it would have been more advantageous to go to a more prestigious school in a good location to secure a good residency position for my specialty due to its competitive nature. I would say this would be worth anywhere from 50-100,000$ over 4 years for a specialty like EM. Even more for something like plastics or derm. But, keep in mind, this would only be true if you are comparing ivy league versus bottom of the barrel. If both schools are middle of the road, the cheaper school would win easily.

If you are looking at matching into primary care or something that averages between $200,000-300,000, you would be much better off going to the cheaper medical school, regardless. $50,000+ in primary care is a lot of money. Keep in mind that all the loans you pay off will be with post tax money and you will be unable to write off any of the interest because you make too much money.

Depends on your specialty. I am EM. For me, it would have been more advantageous to go to a more prestigious school in a good location to secure a good residency position for my specialty due to its competitive nature. I would say this would be worth anywhere from 50-100,000$ over 4 years for a specialty like EM. Even more for something like plastics or derm. But, keep in mind, this would only be true if you are comparing ivy league versus bottom of the barrel. If both schools are middle of the road, the cheaper school would win easily.

If you are looking at matching into primary care or something that averages between $200,000-300,000, you would be much better off going to the cheaper medical school, regardless. $50,000+ in primary care is a lot of money. Keep in mind that all the loans you pay off will be with post tax money and you will be unable to write off any of the interest because you make too much money.
This is great advice! I don't have anyone in my family in medicine so I'm pretty uninformed about this aspect of medicine, so I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this. Thank you!

1. It was my #1 choice going into the cycle.
2. It has a strong presence in the community that I ultimately plan to serve.
3. Scholarship money
4. Near my friends and loved ones (which makes the whole medical school thing more manageable), and location, location, LOCATION.

=)

+1 with my EM colleague. Loans blow balls but the effects of prestige differential in medicine can be very real, for better or worse. My general rule of thumb is to put the threshold at around $50-60k for prestige. (Location/fit is so much harder and personal there is no fair price.) $50k is a good ballpark because in the unlikely event you end up in straight PC, it is tough but so totally manageable. If you can get any mid-paying specialty, $50k is as close to pocket change as there can be if there ever were such thing. People who pile on $100-200k debt with plans to pay it off in derm, rads, ortho or whatever are taking on way too much risk. Many people talk a lot of plastics and opth as an MS2 but get real quiet after Step 1.

Also the point about mid vs. mid (or even top vs. top) is so true. Way too much brainpower wasted over "Tulane vs. Drexel????" "NYMC vs. BU?????" "Chicago vs. Penn?????" lol, pick the cheapest one if the location isn't suffocating and move on.

Location, scholarship, support system

I had some options, and I went where I felt I would be happiest. So far it has shown in my performance.