Why do people complain about $50/hr wage? That is $100k a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PirellitTyres

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
People are saying pay for pharmacy is bad, but a six figure salary for a medium stress job is pretty good, especially since a residency is not required. For example, investment bankers in New York are only getting paid $150k, but work nearly double the number of hours in a high cost of living area. My friends graduating with comp sci and engineering degrees are only making $70k, MD residents are getting paid less than minimum wage when taking into account hours worked+overtime

Members don't see this ad.

People are saying pay for pharmacy is bad, but a six figure salary for a medium stress job is pretty good, especially since a residency is not required. For example, investment bankers in New York are only getting paid $150k, but work nearly double the number of hours in a high cost of living area. My friends graduating with comp sci and engineering degrees are only making $70k, MD residents are getting paid less than minimum wage when taking into account hours worked+overtime
#trollalert

edit- doesn't appear to be a troll, just someone detached from reality after reading previous threads

Reactions: 7 users
#trollalert

edit- doesn't appear to be a troll, just someone detached from reality after reading previous threads
Yup obvious troll is obvious. Literally all of my in laws are in Dev ops or cybersecurity working better hours, lower stress and making more money than me. Even the ones who are just starting at 110k in low COL areas with less education than a pharmacist.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
cost of degree for pharmacy school is significantly more expensive than compsci/engineering degrees. Also, the ceiling for salary for software engineers,etc. is a lot higher than pharmacists... I have a few friends who started with 100K salary straight out of school then jumped to 200-250K after switching to a new job a few years later.

Reactions: 3 users
Those in software engineering have been working from home during the pandemic while we have not been able to. Before that, they had lavish perks, I.e. catered gourmet meals, on-site gym, laundry, daycares, masseuses, etc. where even a bathroom break is a luxury for us. They have the opportunity to walk away from employers who make them return to the office while we barely have any opportunities to walk away from downright abusive employers.

Reactions: 3 users
They have the opportunity to walk away from employers who make them return to the office while we barely have any opportunities to walk away from downright abusive employers.
Exactly. When employers threatened a return to the office, employees threatened mass resignations. I’m working my way into Cybersecurity. I’m done with the mess that pharmacy is and I’m only 4.5 years out of school. Mind you I have a “cushy” work from home PBM job and I’m still saying this. That says a lot about the state of pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah anybody that thinks $50/hr is a fair wage for pharmacy (a job with "medium stress"-LOL) has clearly never worked a day in a pharmacy. Or has worked too many days in a pharmacy and gone completely psychotic. One or the other....

Reactions: 9 users
If you guys check out the Overemployed subreddit, you'll see people who are working multiple jobs at one time. These are all full time jobs, but because it's remote they are able to multi task between them. One guy posted that he's doing 2 jobs, one for $150k and another for $155k. Some of them work 4 or 5 jobs at one time. Most of these are tech jobs.

While we're slaving away with 30 min lunch breaks on 12 hour shifts for $125k (if you're fortunate), getting abused and disrespected, dealing with all sorts of unpredictable issues, these guys can literally do multiple jobs at one time from their own home with each job paying more than what we make.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
If you guys check out the Overemployed subreddit, you'll see people who are working multiple jobs at one time. These are all full time jobs, but because it's remote they are able to multi task between them. One guy posted that he's doing 2 jobs, one for $150k and another for $155k. Some of them work 4 or 5 jobs at one time. Most of these are tech jobs.

While we're slaving away with 30 min lunch breaks on 12 hour shifts for $125k (if you're fortunate), getting abused and disrespected, dealing with all sorts of unpredictable issues, these guys can literally do multiple jobs at one time from their own home with each job paying more than what we make.
lol can you post a link? 1 job as dev/engineer is already hard enough especially when you need to code on your days off. trying to take on 2 where you are applying business logic to applications in possibly 1 week sprints on stories that require several meetings throughout the day due to dependencies/issues/technical questions/etc seems impossible

lol can you post a link? 1 job as dev/engineer is already hard enough especially when you need to code on your days off. trying to take on 2 where you are applying business logic to applications in possibly 1 week sprints on stories that require several meetings throughout the day due to dependencies/issues/technical questions/etc seems impossible

Here's one example:

Admittedly it doesn't appear to be related to software development/engineering specifically, but the point remains: why go to pharmacy school, accrue all that debt, waste all that time, only to find yourself in a woefully insecure job market, when you could position yourself towards something like this in the tech industry?

Last edited:
I don't think any reasonable person would debate that a pharmacy education is an abysmal return on investment these days. That was not always the case, but it certainly is now.

Here's one example:

Admittedly it doesn't appear to be related to software development/engineering specifically, but the point remains: why go to pharmacy school, accrue all that debt, waste all that time, only to find yourself in a woefully insecure job market, when you could position yourself towards something like this in the tech industry?

Just wanted to see if you were actually someone working in the field. Im just getting sick of the few posters here that paint this picture of how easy it is to work in tech industry

Nope, not in there yet, but I still haven't given up trying to get in. I'm sure it's got downsides too, though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

It's not just the fact that you are starting out at $50/hr. And should be plenty happy with $100K. Back in 1998, I would laugh at, then reject $50/hr pay. And I did! And this was in 1998 dollars (when minimum wage was $4.25). We are outraged because we have moved backwards in terms of pay. That is why we are saying pharmacy sucks. If you don't have this frame of reference, you are either a troll or clueless.
I am playing long ball here: Every other professional that graduated with me, is now well past me in income. Close friend, Electrical Engineer, making over $250K with 37 years of experience.
We, the ones that are Pharm.D.'s start out strong, but lose out in the long term. If we have a job.

Nope, not in there yet, but I still haven't given up trying to get in. I'm sure it's got downsides too, though.
Yea I really hope you didn't take the advice of that 1 poster here that said all you need to do is tell talent recruiters you "have knowledge" to land the job.
Just to make things clear
Degree > Certificates > Personal Github Projects > Playing Video Games for 5 hours straight > "I have knowledge"

• Haha
Yea I really hope you didn't take the advice of that 1 poster here that said all you need to do is tell talent recruiters you "have knowledge" to land the job.
Just to make things clear
Degree > Certificates > Personal Github Projects > Playing Video Games for 5 hours straight > "I have knowledge"

Yeah, my plan is to build a GitHub portfolio. I really want to avoid going back to school if I can. But on the bright side, I did just get a new job in a long term care pharmacy and I've left Walgreens. If I find I'm not satisfied with my new job after 6 months, I think I will bite the bullet and go back to school. At the very least, the work I've done on my own time will make my time in school that much easier.

Yeah, my plan is to build a GitHub portfolio. I really want to avoid going back to school if I can. But on the bright side, I did just get a new job in a long term care pharmacy and I've left Walgreens. If I find I'm not satisfied with my new job after 6 months, I think I will bite the bullet and go back to school. At the very least, the work I've done on my own time will make my time in school that much easier.
Good for you leaving Walgreens! Congrats!

I suggest you do a full stack project. You will show you have experience in real world projects if you can actually completely build one by yourself. And make sure to include a database and 1 or 2 api's to show you know how to communicate between different softwares. I would like to think this 1 project is all you need for someone to be confident in hiring you but you need to make sure you know what you are doing and are not just copy/pasting code.

People are saying pay for pharmacy is bad, but a six figure salary for a medium stress job is pretty good, especially since a residency is not required. For example, investment bankers in New York are only getting paid $150k,
This is at the beginning of their career. Bankers floor is a pharmacist’s ceiling in terms of salary

Dental hygienists are making $60/hr lol. Pharmacists are so underpaid for the amount of responsibility and workload they take on.

Care to back this claim up? Because that’s not what I’m seeing.
BLS is too slow to pick up what is going on due to the pandemic and inflation. Here are some reddit threads where you can see dentists are struggling to find help and what they are having to pay to get them to stay. There are people saying they are paying 75-100/hr. Pharmacists are burning themselves out for what is now a pedestrian wage. One caveat is that I'm guessing most of them don't get health insurance as a benefit.

Last edited:
BLS is too slow to pick up what is going on due to the pandemic and inflation. Here are some reddit threads where you can see dentists are struggling to find help and what they are having to pay to get them to stay. There are people saying they are paying 75-100/hr. Pharmacists are burning themselves out for what is now a pedestrian wage. One caveat is that I'm guessing most of them don't get health insurance as a benefit.

I feel like this is likely a transient thing. I’m willing to bet things will normalize to the wages I quoted.

I feel like this is likely a transient thing. I’m willing to bet things will normalize to the wages I quoted.
Maybe, but it's not like pharmacists wages are stable or growing much. Would you really be shocked if 5 years from now pharmacists and dental hygienists had the same average wage?

Maybe, but it's not like pharmacists wages are stable or growing much. Would you really be shocked if 5 years from now pharmacists and dental hygienists had the same average wage?
From what I have seen the last 37 years in the profession, NOTHING that happens 5 years from now will shock me.

I think I am qualified to speak on this issue. My wife is a Dental Hygienist, for the last 30 years. She works on commission only, sets her own hours, only sees only the repeat patients she likes (the others she throws over to the new hygienist). Makes about $70-80 per hours worked. And this is not due to the pandemic!

Oldest son, now 31. Attended college on a DAD full scholarship. Graduated with a BS in history (us thinking he was going to LAW School. NOT!) Through my contacts (husband of a coworker), got a job at a Tech Company, SAGE Corp. He started @ $60K/yr, not great pay, but good for a History BS. Quickly got a bunch of tech certifications. Got to be Sales Force Admin. Jumped to IBM, he is now making more than me (I make about $80/hr) within just 3 years at IBM. AND it's not due to COVID!
I think he owes me for his college tuition now.

From what I have seen the last 37 years in the profession, NOTHING that happens 5 years from now will shock me.

I think I am qualified to speak on this issue. My wife is a Dental Hygienist, for the last 30 years. She works on commission only, sets her own hours, only sees only the repeat patients she likes (the others she throws over to the new hygienist). Makes about $70-80 per hours worked. And this is not due to the pandemic!
That’s nice your wife makes that kind of money but a case study dose not constitute the field.

That’s nice your wife makes that kind of money but a case study dose not constitute the field.
Well thanks for that! You are quoting facts from a random government website. I am giving you information from a living, breathing hygienist AND many many other hygienist in this market. This isn't surge salaries, there is a huge shortage and nobody we know will work for $37.50/hr.
Now, maybe it will go back to normal. Maybe it is a transient thing. Maybe we will make double what a DH makes, 5 years from now. Or half what a DH makes. The only sure thing is, nobody knows, not the government website or you and I.

Well thanks for that! You are quoting facts from a random government website. I am giving you information from a living, breathing hygienist AND many many other hygienist in this market. This isn't surge salaries, there is a huge shortage and nobody we know will work for $37.50/hr.
Now, maybe it will go back to normal. Maybe it is a transient thing. Maybe we will make double what a DH makes, 5 years from now. Or half what a DH makes. The only sure thing is, nobody knows, not the government website or you and I
Now, maybe it will go back to normal. Maybe it is a transient thing. Maybe we will make double what a DH makes, 5 years from now. Or half what a DH makes. The only sure thing is, nobody knows, not the government website or you and I.
I’ve heard from you, a living breathing pharmacist who built an amazing life for him and his family as a pharmacist. You, a living breathing pharmacist told me this! All hail the field of pharmacy and it’s potential!

Edit: So if we’re ignoring BLS and people experience then maybe all the people b*thing about pharmacy can just be ignored since nothing is relevant anymore.

Source: Dude just trust me bro

“Random government website”

LOL that’s funny. Yeah BLS is the random data source here not the anonymous spouse of the anonymous poster.

I’ve heard from you, a living breathing pharmacist who built an amazing life for him and his family as a pharmacist. You, a living breathing pharmacist told me this! All hail the field of pharmacy and it’s potential!

Edit: So if we’re ignoring BLS and people experience then maybe all the people b*thing about pharmacy can just be ignored since nothing is relevant anymore.
Hey Projerkverb, Hate much? Who pi$$d in your Corn Flakes this morning?
Be my guest, btch away! All hail to the mighty BLS.

• Haha
Hey Projerkverb, Hate much? Who pi$$d in your Corn Flakes this morning?
Be my guest, btch away! All hail to the mighty BLS.
I dunno man, your snarky response was perfectly acceptable, but god forbid I use the same time with you grandpa. And FYI BLS confirms pharmacy outlook is trash. So they’re much more reliable than you are at this point.

Personally I'd be more likely to believe pharmacy outlook is trash for no other reason than....well...it's pharmacy!

Last edited:
I know BLS is not perfect and has been wrong before, but I'd still trust a source of aggregate data over hearsay. Job markets also vary by geographic location.

Nope, since it’s the case now, i would expect hygienists to make more in 5 years. New grads are 45-50/hr, that’s 75-80k, hygienists already make that with 6-8 years less schooling and 150k less debt. By the time the pharmacists enters the workforce (assuming they can get a job), the hygienist would have 500-700k in their pocket.

I dunno man, your snarky response was perfectly acceptable, but god forbid I use the same time with you grandpa. And FYI BLS confirms pharmacy outlook is trash. So they’re much more reliable than you are at this point.

This.

Re: pharmacy. It’s not just BLS, HRSA backs it up too (significant surplus than demand, 60,000 surplus by 2030 even after accounting for the made up provider status and “clinical roles” the schools keep BSing these clueless kids about), and real world data is the cherry on top.

Re: hygienist, it’s true, i know quite a few doing this, i don’t know any of them to be making less than 90-95k the past few years, with just 2 years schooling and about 30-50k in loans.

Oldest son, now 31. Attended college on a DAD full scholarship. Graduated with a BS in history (us thinking he was going to LAW School. NOT!) Through my contacts (husband of a coworker), got a job at a Tech Company, SAGE Corp. He started @ $60K/yr, not great pay, but good for a History BS. Quickly got a bunch of tech certifications. Got to be Sales Force Admin. Jumped to IBM, he is now making more than me (I make about $80/hr) within just 3 years at IBM. AND it's not due to COVID!
I think he owes me for his college tuition now.

Yes, this is common and why tech is appealing, you can go from 50k in one job to 200k in the next within months, very common and often times can be done with a reputable boot camp/no IT degree.

Yes, this is common and why tech is appealing, you can go from 50k in one job to 200k in the next within months, very common and often times can be done with a reputable boot camp/no IT degree.
More like within years of not getting a promotion. I still wouldn't consider someone a mid level developer/engineer/IT/etc. after just 1 year. And bootcamps aren't a guarantee either especially with more students coming out with degrees + internships.
Unless you find a company that gives you a deal where you need to finish a bootcamp or if the bootcamp offers a deal such as tuition payment after employment, I wouldn't try to get accepted into one. And thats another thing, you can't just apply to a bootcamp and get in. You need to pass their requirements to get in too.
Literally don't believe anyone on this website that talks about tech industry. Everyone always wants to paint this picture of how easy it is to get a job and how easy it is to get an extremely high starting salary with no real skills. Some guy here was trying to convince me he got hired by Google or something just for traversing a binary tree.

Care to back this claim up? Because that’s not what I’m seeing.

Dentist in a large metro here, I can back this up. I have been trying to hire a dental hygienist for the past few months but couldn't get a single one to bite since the demand for hygienists is so high. Most of them prefer to work for temp agency and make $70-80/hr as independent contractors since they can truly set their own hours and take days off whenever they want. They are also very picky with their job locations, most refuse to drive any more than 15 minutes to work since they can literally walk into any office close to where they live, hand their resume and be hired on the spot. Most hygienists only have an associate degree from a 2-year college, some have a bachelor's degree (similar to a BSN). Sometimes I even think it's not worth it for me to become a dentist and make only $200k while the hygienists are making close to what I make. I finally got one that accepted my job offer at $60/hr with full benefits (401k, medical, sick pay etc). As someone in the dental field I can tell y'all that this hygienist shortage is not going to get any better, hygienist wages will only go up from here.

Last edited:
Dentist in a large metro here, I can back this up. I have been trying to hire a dental hygienist for the past few months but couldn't get a single one to bite since the demand for hygienists is so high. Most of them prefer to work for temp agency and make $70-80/hr as independent contractors since they can truly set their own hours and take days off whenever they want. They are also very picky with their job locations, most refuse to drive any more than 15 minutes to work since they can literally walk into any office close to where they live, hand their resume and be hired on the spot. Most hygienists only have an associate degree from a 2-year college, some have a bachelor's degree (similar to a BSN). Sometimes I even think it's not worth it for me to become a dentist and make only $200k while the hygienists are making close to what I make. I finally got one that accepted my job offer at $60/hr with full benefits (401k, medical, sick pay etc). As someone in the dental field I can tell y'all that this hygienist shortage is not going to get any better, hygienist wages will only go up from here.
No! No! You are just a random dentist, just an anonymous poster here. What could you possibly know about Dental Hygienists salaries. All our fellow random posters above bow down to the all mighty BLS - I think that B stands for Bible!
Well, that's what they told me when I pointed out what my random wife made as random dental hygienist.

Hey PROJECTVerb, here I am making another observation! I really have to stop. So random! So sorry.

AONLINE, keep up the good work. My BFF of 40 years, is a Dentist, in private practice. He makes a ton of money, but only after 36 years in the same office. 7 chairs - 2FT / 1 PT Dental Hygienist, 2 asst., 5 front office. Ownes his building. doesn't take on any new patients. Works 4 days a week, Only comes in on Fridays for the Big Money cash cases. He just did a masterful job of bone graft plus implant plus crown (for support next to implant) on me. For free, as I am a charity case! He always keeps a bottle of Nitrous Oxide for my visits. I get a hit, he gets a hit. Fun!
Also in our state, Dental Hygienist can now work independently from a dentist being present. Providing them with additional income source. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
No! No! You are just a random dentist, just an anonymous poster here. What could you possibly know about Dental Hygienists salaries. All our fellow random posters above bow down to the all mighty BLS - I think that B stands for Bible!
Well, that's what they told me when I pointed out what my random wife made as random dental hygienist.

Hey PROJECTVerb, here I am making another observation! I really have to stop. So random! So sorry.

AONLINE, keep up the good work. My BFF of 40 years, is a Dentist, in private practice. He makes a ton of money, but only after 36 years in the same office. 7 chairs - 2FT / 1 PT Dental Hygienist, 2 asst., 5 front office. Ownes his building. doesn't take on any new patients. Works 4 days a week, Only comes in on Fridays for the Big Money cash cases. He just did a masterful job of bone graft plus implant plus crown (for support next to implant) on me. For free, as I am a charity case! He always keeps a bottle of Nitrous Oxide for my visits. I get a hit, he gets a hit. Fun!
Also in our state, Dental Hygienist can now work independently from a dentist being present. Providing them with additional income source. Ask me how I know.

While I admit I may have been wrong in this case, what do we usually really on? Case studies or large multi center studies that take a cross sectional representation of the whole population? Two posters: case studies. BLS: large studies.

Literally don't believe anyone on this website that talks about tech industry. Everyone always wants to paint this picture of how easy it is to get a job and how easy it is to get an extremely high starting salary with no real skills. Some guy here was trying to convince me he got hired by Google or something just for traversing a binary tree.
I'd personally beg to differ as I actually do that sort of work on the side and am recognized for the competency on an international level for both government and side work, but I'm the one who also comments on what a mercenary place IT is.

But more or less, I have an advanced mathematics degree as a postgraduate, and it was slow going building up a consultancy base.

I made $50+ an hour 15 years ago, that's why.

Reactions: 5 users
More like within years of not getting a promotion. I still wouldn't consider someone a mid level developer/engineer/IT/etc. after just 1 year. And bootcamps aren't a guarantee either especially with more students coming out with degrees + internships.
Unless you find a company that gives you a deal where you need to finish a bootcamp or if the bootcamp offers a deal such as tuition payment after employment, I wouldn't try to get accepted into one. And thats another thing, you can't just apply to a bootcamp and get in. You need to pass their requirements to get in too.
DagS132: Your skepticism is well placed. There are a few blowhard posters here, bragging about the success, the money and the fame! I have blocked them due to my severe allergy to BS. I have been a pharmacist for over 37 years, I have a good understanding of the limited scope of our degree, and it's few applications. We have a very limited skill set, more so than most other healthcare professions. There are alternatives, some real success stories. My oldest son, went to a State University (on a D.A.D. scholarship) Got his BA in History (thinking Law School). Graduated in 5 years, had no employment prospects, looking at food service entry jobs. Through some high level contacts that I had at a software company, he was hired as customer service, and immediately went forward with certain certifications they wanted him to get and paid for. He had NO background in IT, software or CS. Of course, he was smart enough to get through the certs. He was now Systems Administrator for SalesForce software applications used by 1000s of companies. He jumped to IBM, where he is consultant for SalesForce applications, loaned out to other companies, billing @ $400/hr, his time, IBM gets the money. Some more experienced consultants Bill $800-1000/hr for their time. And NO, he doesn't make $300 to $500 K (like the blowhards here), but he makes more than me(working for 37yrs) after 5 yrs of work.
Believe it or not!

I'd personally beg to differ as I actually do that sort of work on the side and am recognized for the competency on an international level for both government and side work, but I'm the one who also comments on what a mercenary place IT is.

But more or less, I have an advanced mathematics degree as a postgraduate, and it was slow going building up a consultancy base.
I am gonna be honest, I have no idea what IT techs do. A lot of things were new to me when I started and I am constantly learning how to use new tools and how to implement such tools into java. I breezed through school no problem but real world work was extremely difficult, so thats why I don't believe the 1 or 2 users here that was suggesting to everyone to watch a few youtube videos and just apply to positions that offer 6 figures or more. Its just highly unbelievable when someone says they started at senior level because they talked about how to go from one node to another.

DagS132: Your skepticism is well placed. There are a few blowhard posters here, bragging about the success, the money and the fame! I have blocked them due to my severe allergy to BS. I have been a pharmacist for over 37 years, I have a good understanding of the limited scope of our degree, and it's few applications. We have a very limited skill set, more so than most other healthcare professions. There are alternatives, some real success stories. My oldest son, went to a State University (on a D.A.D. scholarship) Got his BA in History (thinking Law School). Graduated in 5 years, had no employment prospects, looking at food service entry jobs. Through some high level contacts that I had at a software company, he was hired as customer service, and immediately went forward with certain certifications they wanted him to get and paid for. He had NO background in IT, software or CS. Of course, he was smart enough to get through the certs. He was now Systems Administrator for SalesForce software applications used by 1000s of companies. He jumped to IBM, where he is consultant for SalesForce applications, loaned out to other companies, billing @ $400/hr, his time, IBM gets the money. Some more experienced consultants Bill $800-1000/hr for their time. And NO, he doesn't make $300 to $500 K (like the blowhards here), but he makes more than me(working for 37yrs) after 5 yrs of work.
Believe it or not!
My problem was that the users here kept talking about how everyone in tech are under 30 years old and how easy it is to get senior level position without any degree or certs. Most people I work with are older than 30 and the people at the senior positions are all much older. Aint no way some 20 year old kid out of undergrad is going to jump into a company and just start knocking off all the stories

Just wanted to see if you were actually someone working in the field. Im just getting sick of the few posters here that paint this picture of how easy it is to work in tech industry
Now these tech workers are getting laid off. But pharmacy is still needed

• Haha
Now these tech workers are getting laid off. But pharmacy is still needed

They’re going from one of the cushiest work conditions in the world to a pretty terrible one for half the pay and $200k+ more debt. Wonder how long they would last at CVS