why do physicians pay out of pocket for psychiatric treatment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in the mental health field and have seen many physicians pay out of pocket for treatment even though it is very costly and I am sure their insurance must cover it. Why? Do State medical licensing boards have access to insurance records?

Members don't see this ad.

State medical boards do not have access to insurance records. Also, you could argue that paying cash for services you will get better care. If someone has money they are going to pay money to get better care. A lot of people will pay top dollar for good psychiatric care. Because in most cases places that accept insurance care isn't good such as 15-minute visits.

Reactions: 1 user
I work in the mental health field and have seen many physicians pay out of pocket for treatment even though it is very costly and I am sure their insurance must cover it. Why? Do State medical licensing boards have access to insurance records?

Do you mean they don't submit for reimbursement for out of network benefits? That's actually not very common. Typically the issue has to do with paranoia about physicians thinking that a mental illness diagnosis might affect this or that (credentialing, licensure, etc.) This is actually explicitly forbidden by ADA. Things that can be affected such as life insurance may have a paper trail anyway, because insurance companies have other records such as prescription drug use, etc.

If you are asking why people who have insurance can't find an in-network psychiatrist: that's not a problem only physicians have.

Members don't see this ad :)

I believe because medical licensing boards ask about it. To pay out of pocket may protect fibbing?

Reactions: 1 users
I believe because medical licensing boards ask about it. To pay out of pocket may protect fibbing?

They ask if you any any condition that can prevent you from practicing..... say no. They do not have proof unless you're condition caused you to be arrested or in the news....then you are screwed.

They ask if you any any condition that can prevent you from practicing..... say no. They do not have proof unless you're condition caused you to be arrested or in the news....then you are screwed.

Some states don't limit themselves to conditions causing impairment but ask about any diagnosis. This is probably illegal but who wants to be the test case?

Reactions: 1 users
it is illegal. always answer no unless you really believe you are impaired

That's not good enough, imo. Enough physicians need to stand up to the medical boards and work to get legislation passed that explicitly makes these questions illegal.

That's not good enough, imo. Enough physicians need to stand up to the medical boards and work to get legislation passed that explicitly makes these questions illegal.
The law is quite explicitly clear that these questions are illegal. The American Medical Association, American Psychiatric Association and American Bar Association have also all released position statements regarding these questions on medical and bar licensure

The law is quite explicitly clear that these questions are illegal. The American Medical Association, American Psychiatric Association and American Bar Association have also all released position statements regarding these questions on medical and bar licensure

Then there are states that are quite explicitly * illegally * enforcing laws with the ability to revoke licenses...

I believe that the law is written in a way that the "public safety" issue makes this not so much a black and white issue. There are EEO guidelines to this effect.

I work in an academic medical center and I know many physicians will not come here for psychiatric care, even though it is top notch. They don't want their personal information in the EMR where someone they know could potentially see it, they don't want to see people they know in the waiting areas, and they don't want to run into their psychiatrist at a faculty dinner. And outside of the big academic centers not too many psychiatrists take insurance around here, it's mostly cash pay.