Why Does Endo Not Participate in MATCH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allDAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why endo programs do not participate in MATCH?

Members don't see this ad.

It is more advantageous to the programs. Programs in less desireable locations can snag strong candidates if they have earlier interview dates. Seems the interview cycle is beginning earlier every year as a result.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does it really matter?
Depends who is asking. If you are applying to endodontic residencies then it definitely matters. It’s a crappy process. People turn down multiple interviews every year because they get an early acceptance and are told they either have to accept or decline on the spot. And of course you accept. A bird in the hand...

Reactions: 1 user
Does it really matter?

It sorta does matter. I'm just curious if anyone knows why because I don't necessarily know the answer. I suspect that this is their choice because programs are competing for a small group of highly competitive applicants from the pool and want their pick of the bunch as Torshammer mentioned. It does put the applicant at a significant disadvantage though, and I find it interesting that endo has opted out of a process other specialities have chosen to participate in.

Multiple program directors apologized during interviews about this. They said right now about 80% of directors want a match, but the other 20% would steal a large portion of the applicants (probably north of 50% based on the number of applicants this year). Until the number is over 90% they said it just cant happen.

Reactions: 1 user
The
Multiple program directors apologized during interviews about this. They said right now about 80% of directors want a match, but the other 20% would steal a large portion of the applicants (probably north of 50% based on the number of applicants this year). Until the number is over 90% they said it just cant happen.
They need to do what many ortho programs are now doing. More and more ortho programs will only accept applications from individuals applying exclusively to Match programs.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure if I understand the numbers you laid out. Majority of the programs only accept 3-4 applicants. So how would 20% of the programs steal all the applicants? It sounds more like that 20% would just get an unfair shot at more desirable applicants. But that happens anyways with Pass.

You are correct and that is what is currently happening. I guess some programs who would participate in match are happy to interview early, so they are the ones who dont want to lose out.