Why is methoxy considered electron donating group??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
shouldn't it be an EWG because the electronegativity of oxygen??

Members don't see this ad.

The methyl part of the methoxy group is electron donating. The inductive effect of oxygen exacerbates the electron-donating tendency of the -CH3 part.

shouldn't it be an EWG because the electronegativity of oxygen??
The way Chad (from coursesaver) explained it, was that the electron donating effect of the lone pair (via resonance) trumps the effect due to electronegativity of oxygen (via induction).

The way Chad (from coursesaver) explained it, was that the electron donating effect of the lone pair (via resonance) trumps the effect due to electronegativity of oxygen (via induction).
I am subscribed to Chad. Do you know which video he goes over this? Or a general idea which video??

I am subscribed to Chad. Do you know which video he goes over this? Or a general idea which video??
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the topic in Organic Chemistry on Alcohols... specifically when he talks about phenol acidity and how specific EDG or EWG's and their positions (ortho, meta, para) effect the acidity.