Why is the salary so low for LPCs? What is with this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentcounselor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there living comfortably on this salary? Homeowners, foreign cars? Lol I am hopeful that the national reported salary is not a true guideline considering the many different levels of counselors?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone out there living comfortably on this salary? Homeowners, foreign cars? Lol I am hopeful that the national reported salary is not a true guideline considering the many different levels of counselors?
Yes you can make a nice living. You need to more than likely own a group practice though...

The average is around 60k, which is about 33% more than the average worker in the US. As an intern who drives a decent performance car (could have gotten a 3 series instead but nah) and owns my own home on around 50k/yr, yeah you can live a pretty normal middle class life on that salary unless you're in a big city or extremely high COL area. A spouse will make your life far better financially if they are working and making a similar income.

All of the high earning LPCs I know are very savvy marketers and self employed. They are the far tail of the distribution though, and that is not to suggest that everyone can or should emulate them.

I think there are multiple factors at play with the income issue, including many many master’s programs out there and several pathways to do the same thing (LPC, LCSW, LMFT, Ph.D., Psy.D., and some states even offer a master’s in clinical psychology), so very high supply and not always on par with demand, despite the optimistic projected job growth stats. State/federal/grant funding for community mental health centers, etc. isn’t necessarily increasing at the same rate as the supply. I’m sure there’s more to it that, but supply & demand is part of the issue, I think.

I don’t think I realized how saturated the field was until I explored licensing in my state and saw how many degrees lead to practice in the field—at least five different graduate degrees, six if you count a doctorate in education (my state allows practice with this degree as long as it comes with clinical training). Most universities offer at least one of these paths, so these programs are everywhere.