Why Medical School.

I apologize if I offended you at all, I am genuinely sorry about your parents relationship, I hope your dad is alright now.

You didn't offend me... just made me a bit mad. He's not; I hope he might be one day.

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't offend me... just made me a bit mad. He's not; I hope he might be one day.

I feel like such an ******* now. I will pray for him. I hope you mean he is "not" in the emotional sense, and not the physical sense. You said he crashed his car. I hope he is alright from the crash...

I feel like such an ******* now. I will pray for him. I hope you mean he is "not" in the emotional sense, and not the physical sense. You said he crashed his car. I hope he is alright from the crash...

Thank you, that means a lot to me.

He's fine physically. Porsche's are made for crashing into things so basically he distroyed the front end of his car; the radiator and transmission got the worst of it I think. The chasie and axels are still intact. If it had been a newer model it wouldn't have been totalled but it's about 16 years old. It's (haha ironic much) monetarily and emotionally that he's in trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, that means a lot to me.

He's fine physically. Porsche's are made for crashing into things so basically he distroyed the front end of his car; the radiator and transmission got the worst of it I think. The chasie and axels are still intact. If it had been a newer model it wouldn't have been totalled but it's about 16 years old. It's (haha ironic much) monetarily and emotionally that he's in trouble.

At least he still has his health. Hopefully he turns his life around and gets a new job.

I have actually, when I was younger. My dad, as I have mentioned was an accountant at the time when him and my mom had me and my sister. Two kids. He did not make much more than 40k a year, and my mom stayed home and raised us. After about 8 or so years he saved up enough money to move us all down here to a wealthy area of NJ.

Obviously our household income is high now.

You also have to look at where Cscull lives. He/she probably lives in an area where the cost of living is not nearly as high as it is in NJ.

I was obviously too quick to judge, but, I didn't really. All I said was "good luck supporting a family on 40k a year." It is hard, yes, maybe in YOUR area you can support a family on 40k a year but where I live, you can forget about it.

Could this be why you are so concerned with money?

While in some of the larger cities, a wage of 40K would not be enough, a majority of the United States could live confortably on this salary. Also, in the larger cities, wages increase because the cost of living increases.

Could this be why you are so concerned with money?

While in some of the larger cities, a wage of 40K would not be enough, a majority of the United States could live confortably on this salary. Also, in the larger cities, wages increase because the cost of living increases.

Yes.

There are a lot of people who aren't paid what they're worth. If I'm happily supporting myself, and possibly my future family, I wouldn't really mind.

You will be taken advantage of with this attitude. Employers are looking to pay you the least amount of money possible. If I was your employer, and you came in and underbid yourself by 50%, I'd wonder what else I could hang over you, and then I'd try it. To say you'd be okay making 50k as a physician is ridiculous. There are people in far less stressful jobs making 50k-I would know, I worked one of them. You live in a capitalistic society, your salary should match your job duties and education. Just because other people are getting screwed doesn't make it right.

Maybe not a family, but that's how much my Mom supports my family on (my sister and I). I prefer it to my parents living together and fighting constantly when we lived in Northern Va and my parents made two hundred thousand dollars a year combined.

It turned around very fast for my Dad, he learned fast that a well paying job means little when you've lost your family. Then he got a DUI, totaled his Porsche, and lost his job (maybe not in that exact order but you get the idea). Go figure.

And there are also families with six figure incomes living happy lives.

Alright then. Just know that while this did happen to your family, it does not happen to a vast amount of people. Just because you are not a doctor does not mean you will not be able to make a wage that will give you more than enough money. I do think you have a small interest in the field, as you have said, but just make sure you go into the field for the interest, not the possible income in the end.

You will be taken advantage of with this attitude. Employers are looking to pay you the least amount of money possible. If I was your employer, and you came in and underbid yourself by 50%, I'd wonder what else I could hang over you, and then I'd try it. To say you'd be okay making 50k as a physician is ridiculous. There are people in far less stressful jobs making 50k-I would know, I worked one of them. You live in a capitalistic society, your salary should match your job duties and education. Just because other people are getting screwed doesn't make it right.

You are missing the point ILikeFood. The point she and I were both trying to make is that even without the ridiculously large income, you should be happy with what you are doing. I do agree that we are paid within a decent range, for we dedicate anywhere from 7-20 years of our lives to this career and, thus, are paid well.

I'm not saying I would prefer to make 50k a year, if I'm offered two of the same jobs and one pays a hundred or eighty thousand dollars a year and one that pays fifty, I'll obviously take the higher paying one. My point is that money doesn't buy happiness (a tad cliche I know :rolleyes:), and that I'm planning to enjoy my job, regardless of pay.

You are missing the point ILikeFood. The point she and I were both trying to make is that even without the ridiculously large income, you should be happy with what you are doing. I do agree that we are paid within a decent range, for we dedicate anywhere from 7-20 years of our lives to this career and, thus, are paid well.

Exactly. :)

Alright then. Just know that while this did happen to your family, it does not happen to a vast amount of people. Just because you are not a doctor does not mean you will not be able to make a wage that will give you more than enough money. I do think you have a small interest in the field, as you have said, but just make sure you go into the field for the interest, not the possible income in the end.

7-20?

Try 8 yrs and a residency 3+yrs, then you can do a subspecialty.

Take the 4 years for college off, most people on this forum are going through/have been through college by default.

Thus medicine requires at least seven more years of commitment compared to many other careers.

Members don't see this ad :)
7-20?

Try 8 yrs and a residency 3+yrs, then you can do a subspecialty.

Sorry bud, I said 7-20 for a specific reason. Some do not go into undergrad planning to do med school, thus if they graduate and decide to try it out, it would be four years of med, three years for their residency minimum. I personally will be working for 13 years until I complete all of my training. Others need more than that depending on residency, and amount/type of subspecialty.

Take the 4 years for college off, most people on this forum are going through/have been through college by default.

Thus medicine requires at least seven more years of commitment compared to many other careers.

Haha, exactly :thumbup:. Thanks :laugh:.

Sorry bud, I said 7-20 for a specific reason. Some do not go into undergrad planning to do med school, thus if they graduate and decide to try it out, it would be four years of med, three years for their residency minimum. I personally will be working for 13 years until I complete all of my training. Others need more than that depending on residency, and amount/type of subspecialty.

It's kinda funny because he pretty much agreed with you aside from including residencies...

Oh, and another point missed... :rolleyes:

It's kinda funny because he pretty much agreed with you aside from including residencies...

Oh, and another point missed... :rolleyes:

Hehe, I love people who try to correct others when they have no clue what they are talking about. It makes for a good time. :thumbup:

Hehe, I love people who try to correct others when they have no clue what they are talking about. It makes for a good time. :thumbup:

Hehe, totally... will not get off topic, will not get off topic, will not get off topic...

Gah! Me saying I'm not going to get off topic does not make me off topic Kemp! Pft.

Stop it!

I'm ignoring you; you topic distracter! Hmph.

Sorry about that. Don't call me "bud"...you sound like my father.
:rolleyes: