Why students go to PENN Dental? The blunt truth about going to PENN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfectlyhonest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The simple answer: to finally get the chance to attend an ivy league institution.

For the the grand majority of Penn Dental's first year class, the University of Pennsylvania (UPENN) will be the first ivy league institution they had the opportunity to attend. Approximately only 10 out of the 120 student class would have attended an ivy league institution prior, over half of which attended UPENN as undergraduates themselves.

Because there is no clear documented numerical ranking for dental schools as there is for medical and other graduate programs such as Law, many assume that the Ivy league schools must be the better institutions. Only three ivy league institutions have dental programs: Harvard, Columbia and UPENN. Of the three Harvard has the most world wide recognition, but is extremely difficult to get into because of its small class size, and because it is extremely selective, only interviewing and accepting the creme de la creme of pre-dental applicants. Columbia, while not a big a name as Harvard globally, still has great notoriety, especially due to its location in one of the most exciting cities on earth, New York City. Columbia like Harvard is also very selective, only choosing the students with the highest science GPA's and DAT scores. Of the three ivy dental institutions, UPENN has the largest class size and is the least selective of the three. Most Penn students applied and were not accepted to Harvard and Columbia, leaving UPENN as their only ivy league option, a secret most UPENN students will not admit to, and is the reason most attend. Its the only ivy school they could get into.

The funny thing is, until researching schools for dental school, the grand majority of these students did not even know what UPENN was, and were even more shocked to know that it is an ivy league institution. UPENN is a HUGE name in the city of Philadelphia because it is the largest employer of the city of Philadelphia. However outside of the Philadelphia community, most people get it mixed up with Pennsylvania State University where the majority of college educated native Pennsylvanians attended, much to the annoyance and chagrin of UPENN dental students who pay over $100,000 a year in tuition only have their name mixed up with a "lowly" "state" school.....even though many attended state schools as undergraduates themselves.

It also seems as though many students abandon the school pride of their former undergraduate institutions upon attending. You will rarely see a Tufts University Sweater or a Sacred Heart University Sweatpants past the first couple weeks of the semester. A rat race soon ensues to buy and wear the most Penn dental merchandise possible from sweatshirts and sweatpants to scrubs and beanies as if to announce to the entire UPENN campus (which is shared by both the undergrad and all grad schools) "HEY! I GO TO UPENN TOO!" It is a funny sight to see an entire class of first year dental students decked from head to toe in penn dental apparel in a lecture hall. They have more Penn pride than a 4th year senior about to graduate. I guess if you pay over a $100,000 a year in tuition, you must have a lot/justify your school pride!

Now one would think that with students paying $100,000 in tuition a semester that UPENN's dental school would have the nicest facilities of all the american dental schools, but it does not. Whilst The Robert Schattner center or main entrance of the school is a new and modern space that houses the admissions office, the billing office where patients check in and check out, as well as the faculty clinics and OS department, the rest of the school, where students spend the majority of their time are old and average at best. Like moles, students spend the grand majority of their time underground in the school's basement in windowless lecture halls, or the schools dentistry lab which is often described as a dungeon due to the untidy and dilapidated work space. The basement is also notorious for its leaky pipes, and the rotten egg smell coming from the drains.

So if the facilities are not the greatest, does the school make this up with an awesome faculty? While you have a small handful of really great professors, the rest are just average, and then you have some which are just straight a**holes. The worst are the foreign dentists who teach the general restorative lab course where first and second year dental student learn and hone their dental skills. Often hailing from the eastern Europe or South East Asia, these foreign dentists teach or rather torture dental students hand skills and techniques. They do not do it for the love of teaching, but rather a pay check as they legally cannot practice dentistry here in the United States. Their criticism is rather corrosive and harsh, and it is not unusual for student to break down in tears during and after lab sessions. One would think this sort of the thing would be frowned down upon by an institution of this caliber, but Penn dental seems to believe this tough love drill sergeant mentality creates better dental students. However it is this exact tough love mentality while Penn Dental has such few alumni donations, because students even decades afterwards are still bitter at what they had to go through to earn their dental degrees.

Many students try to justify the dental schools shortcomings and high price tag thinking upon graduation they will have superior clinical and hand skills than their other dental school counterparts, or are more likely to get into a specialty program of their choice or they will have more patients because they went to a name brand school and are "better" educated. The fact of the matter is the grand majority of patients do not care, and do not even ask where their dentist attend university? How many of you know what University the last dentist you had seen attended? Most people either choose a dentist via a recommendation from a family member, friend or dentist that he/she is highly skilled and capable provider, or they go to a clinic with the most affordable cost of their required procedure or where their insurance will allow. While attending Penn dental will make you attractive to a residency program, you will find that the majority of your residency class is made up of non-penn/ivy dental graduates, and you will learn that it is not as essential as you thought to getting into a resident program as the university would make you believe. Lastly while you enjoyed boasting and bragging to your dental and medical friends that you attended Penn Dental for the last four years receiving all the accolades that came along with it, in the real world outside of the dental bubble no one cares ad recognizes that you went to Penn Dental. No one knows that its a "top" school, or that its ivy league or even heard of its name. The name won't elicit awe them the same way the name Harvard or Columbia would and frankly never will. So if you go to Penn dental, don't be annoyed and angered that you paid half a million dollars to the tuition only for it to be mixed up with a state school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
"Why students go to PENN?"
-Because it's a dam dental school.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I dropped Columbia for Penn, dunno what world you're living in haha. And didn't apply to Harvard so meh.

I can see right through your post (and your joined date and post count lmao). You're a pre-dental dying to get into Penn this year, but was waitlisted and wishing a lousy post like this will dissuade people from attending (which will never work btw), or you're just holding a grudge from rejection. Take your pick ;)

#Exposed

Reactions: 12 users
I dropped Columbia for Penn, dunno what world you're living in haha

I can see right through your post. You're a pre-dental dying to get into Penn this year, but was waitlisted and wishing a lousy post like this will dissuade people from attending (which will never work btw), or you're just holding a grudge from rejection. Take your pick ;)

You will see when you attend penn this fall. And dropping Columbia was your first mistake. But don't take my word for it.

You will see when you attend penn this fall. And dropping Columbia was your first mistake. But don't take my word for it.
More than anything, your butthurt-ness is making me more excited to attend an institution that people want to attend so much that they take time out of their day to write such essays on an anonymous forum. Ouch ><

Reactions: 4 users
More than anything, your butthurt-ness is making me more excited to attend an institution that people want to attend so much that they take time out of their day to write such essays on an anonymous forum. Ouch ><

all the best to you.

SOMEONE BRING POPCORN!

Reactions: 10 users
this thread is neat. i've also been drinking bourbon while cranking out my soc 101 final...online...minutes before the midnight due date...all to get into the harvard of the west.

i won't subscribe to this, but i'll check it out if it pops back up to the top. good luck OP!

Reactions: 2 users
2404949-kobe_u_mad.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
You need some mo' sugar in yo' diet cuz you are bitter!

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though this seems to be written by a butthurt reject, there is a fair amount of truth in it. But hey, some students get a great scholarship and it's a solid school in a cool city.

op has high sodium levels right now

high sodium levels =depolarization = action potential rise= ??
Haha this was funny. High sodium levels as in op is salty...aka a hater.

Reactions: 5 users
Who doesn't know that UPenn is an ivy? What planet are they living on?

well alright then

Lol. I'm pretty sure most people know all 8 of the Ivies, especially people who want to go to an Ivy school.

Lol. I'm pretty sure most people know all 8 of the Ivies, especially people who want to go to an Ivy school.

Haha. You're kidding right? You're overestimating people. Most people know Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, but I'd be surprised if the average person could name all of the ivy league schools. At least the average American won't know.

Haha. You're kidding right? You're overestimating people. Most people know Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, but I'd be surprised if the average person could name all of the ivy league schools. At least the average American won't know.
I agree. Most people know the big Harvard, Columbia, Yale, but not the rest. When I was applying in undergrad, my parents didn't know Penn or Brown or Dartmouth....I think unless you are in touch with the science community, there are some schools that many people don't know about such as Washington University or UCSF or Penn. Just my opinion though

I agree. Most people know the big Harvard, Columbia, Yale, but not the rest. When I was applying in undergrad, my parents didn't know Penn or Brown or Dartmouth....I think unless you are in touch with the science community, there are some schools that many people don't know about such as Washington University or UCSF or Penn. Just my opinion though

Nah, It's pretty much HYPSM. I was telling some of my relatives I'm headed to Columbia and they thought Columbia is some school in the East with a nice law school lol...But for the superelitism that everyone will recognize it's always been HYPSM.

Most contemporary "students" know all 8 Ivies though, to be fair :p

You sound butthurt OP. Do you realize that there are pros and cons to attending every single school? Do you realize that these people at Penn Dental school are becoming competent dentists while you're complaining on an internet forum??

Dude you're an a-hole. Why would you post this? Why do you care about someone else's life choices? Say you convince them. Great, now you've made them regret their life decision. Nobody benefits from anything. I hope you ain't in my class bro. All of us are capable to think on our own and make this decision ourselves and I don't remember SDN asking for your jackass opinions. Who do you think you are that you would feel high and mighty to give us your two cents, thinking it would apply to everyone else's circumstances, and totally disparage another school. Why do you think so little of us that you would accuse everyone at Penn of choosing Penn for the name alone. They send so many students to Ortho and OMFS with the 1-11 ranking and have great research and extracurricular activities not found at many other schools. Of all the Ivies, Penn has the most balanced didactic to clinical experience ratio. Yet you, obviously vain and intentionally biased, only see the superficial flaws such as people wearing school swag, old buildings, and what other people think about someone based on school name. You are not a very thoughtful person and are most likely an unpleasant person as well.

Last edited:
Wow OP, just wow. I was rejected from Penn myself not too long ago, and yeah it hurts, but you just took desperation to a WHOLE new level.................we all know Penn is a dream Ivy League school so your post is just bitter desperation and sadness all around. I personally would pick Penn over any school if given the opportunity to be brutally honest, but I'm settling for the next best thing because in the end we all graduate as dentists. To think that people like you are entering this noble profession is quite unsettling :thumbdown:

Dude you're an a-hole. Why would you post this? Why do you care about someone else's life choices? Say you convince them. Great, now you've made them regret their life decision. Nobody benefits from anything. I hope you ain't in my class bro. All of us are capable to think on our own and make this decision ourselves and I don't remember SDN asking for your jackass opinions. Who do you think you are that you would feel high and mighty to give us your two cents, thinking it would apply to everyone else's circumstances, and totally disparage another school. Why do you think so little of us that you would accuse everyone at Penn of choosing Penn for the name alone. They send so many students to Ortho and OMFS with the 1-11 ranking and have great research and extracurricular activities not found at many other schools. Of all the Ivies, Penn has the most balanced didactic to clinical experience ratio. Yet you, obviously vain and intentionally biased, only see the superficial flaws such as people wearing school swag, old buildings, and what other people think about someone based on school name. You are not a very thoughtful person and are most likely an unpleasant person as well.

+1.

I actually really really really really REGRET not applying to Penn. I think I had been too swayed by stupid SDN lore about it being "sooooooo expensive" when schools like Tufts, Columbia, MWU-AZ (which cost a lot more than Penn), and others don't get knocked around for their cost. UPenn also includes everything in their costs, while some schools don't. When I get some free time, I'm going to make a spreadsheet for SDNers that depicts the true, accurate costs of lots of schools (so that others don't get put in my situation - I missed out on 2 or 3 schools because I got swayed by stupid SDN rhetoric that wasn't grounded in reality) Personally I don't really give a jack about specializing, but I still would have gone to UPenn because I know there is an opportunity to do an MBA combined program and I'm interested in business so Wharton would be sick. I hate big cities, but Philly is one of the few I actually like.

But I will say this, a lot of average Americans (and as comedian Bill Maher rightfully states, most Americans are dumb and uneducated), don't know about UPenn being an ivy league. They keep getting it mixed up with Penn State lol.

Things are heating up too much on this thread lol. Here is the thing I was talking about Bill Maher:

+1.

I actually really really really really REGRET not applying to Penn. I think I had been too swayed by stupid SDN lore about it being "sooooooo expensive" when schools like Tufts, Columbia, MWU-AZ (which cost a lot more than Penn), and others don't get knocked around for their cost. UPenn also includes everything in their costs, while some schools don't. When I get some free time, I'm going to make a spreadsheet for SDNers that depicts the true, accurate costs of lots of schools (so that others don't get put in my situation - I missed out on 2 or 3 schools because I got swayed by stupid SDN rhetoric that wasn't grounded in reality) Personally I don't really give a jack about specializing, but I still would have gone to UPenn because I know there is an opportunity to do an MBA combined program and I'm interested in business so Wharton would be sick. I hate big cities, but Philly is one of the few I actually like.

But I will say this, a lot of average Americans (and as comedian Bill Maher rightfully states, most Americans are dumb and uneducated), don't know about UPenn being an ivy league. They keep getting it mixed up with Penn State lol.

Things are heating up too much on this thread lol. Here is the thing I was talking about Bill Maher:

naw i still think Penn is too expensive...that doesn't mean Penn isn't worth $400k for you tho.

naw i still think Penn is too expensive...that doesn't mean Penn isn't worth $400k for you tho.
True. I would advocate for students to attend the cheapest school they can get into. But UPenn gets beaten up more than any other school I have ever seen, while Tufts, UOP, MWU-AZ/IL, WesternU, and others aren't beat up nearly anywhere to the extent that Penn is. Maybe UPenn has a really big waitlist as the OP is showing.

You've summed up just about every dental school, but ivy schools def. have horrible skills. I've seen restorations done by columbia students and they would've been better off if they had just stuck a turd into the typodont.

Crown preps by most ivy students also look like indian teepees. I'm pretty sure that they don't even touch a hand piece until they're fourth years….Look, these are hand pieces…you need to learn how to use these for your boards.

Last edited:
I am going to be the dissenting view it would seem, but I think the OP might be genuine. His/her level of understanding the suckiness of foreign-trained masters level professors for essential dental classes would typically only be known by a dental student rather than a pre-dent. I would read the OP with an open mind if I were considering going to Penn as there are some good truths in it, even if it is made up.

I am going to be the dissenting view it would seem, but I think the OP might be genuine. His/her level of understanding the suckiness of foreign-trained masters level professors for essential dental classes would typically only be known by a dental student rather than a pre-dent. I would read the OP with an open mind if I were considering going to Penn as there are some good truths in it, even if it is made up.

Let's just say I know FOR SURE now that he's not a student at Penn lol...Wow, can't believe he's actually trolling some people for real...And by the way, the things he said are generalizations I could have easily written up after my interview day at most other schools.

For future students that are considering Penn and seeing this thread, OP IS NOT A STUDENT AT PENN.

Last edited:
I...don't know all 8 Ivys....:( I never cared to go to those schools so I don't know much about them. All I can say is the really smart people go to the cheapest school they can get into and don't care if its an Ivy. When you start working in a corporate dental office they treat you like you graduated from the University of Phoenix. If you own your own office the patients could care less, they just want to know if you could do the job and if you are running a special...

People are so quick to attack the OP and for all we know, she's a dentist too. No matter the school, things should always be called out on.

Yep you're right. Got rejected from Harvard and Columbia and now attending Penn in the fall. I didn't consider any other options, pros or cons, just like every other sdn pre-dental members. OP speaks 100% truth. Keep preaching. I'm so enlightened.

Attachments

• 1396800570463.jpg
    1396800570463.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 170
The simple answer: to finally get the chance to attend an ivy league institution.

For the the grand majority of Penn Dental's first year class, the University of Pennsylvania (UPENN) will be the first ivy league institution they had the opportunity to attend. Approximately only 10 out of the 120 student class would have attended an ivy league institution prior, over half of which attended UPENN as undergraduates themselves.

Because there is no clear documented numerical ranking for dental schools as there is for medical and other graduate programs such as Law, many assume that the Ivy league schools must be the better institutions. Only three ivy league institutions have dental programs: Harvard, Columbia and UPENN. Of the three Harvard has the most world wide recognition, but is extremely difficult to get into because of its small class size, and because it is extremely selective, only interviewing and accepting the creme de la creme of pre-dental applicants. Columbia, while not a big a name as Harvard globally, still has great notoriety, especially due to its location in one of the most exciting cities on earth, New York City. Columbia like Harvard is also very selective, only choosing the students with the highest science GPA's and DAT scores. Of the three ivy dental institutions, UPENN has the largest class size and is the least selective of the three. Most Penn students applied and were not accepted to Harvard and Columbia, leaving UPENN as their only ivy league option, a secret most UPENN students will not admit to, and is the reason most attend. Its the only ivy school they could get into.

The funny thing is, until researching schools for dental school, the grand majority of these students did not even know what UPENN was, and were even more shocked to know that it is an ivy league institution. UPENN is a HUGE name in the city of Philadelphia because it is the largest employer of the city of Philadelphia. However outside of the Philadelphia community, most people get it mixed up with Pennsylvania State University where the majority of college educated native Pennsylvanians attended, much to the annoyance and chagrin of UPENN dental students who pay over $100,000 a year in tuition only have their name mixed up with a "lowly" "state" school.....even though many attended state schools as undergraduates themselves.

It also seems as though many students abandon the school pride of their former undergraduate institutions upon attending. You will rarely see a Tufts University Sweater or a Sacred Heart University Sweatpants past the first couple weeks of the semester. A rat race soon ensues to buy and wear the most Penn dental merchandise possible from sweatshirts and sweatpants to scrubs and beanies as if to announce to the entire UPENN campus (which is shared by both the undergrad and all grad schools) "HEY! I GO TO UPENN TOO!" It is a funny sight to see an entire class of first year dental students decked from head to toe in penn dental apparel in a lecture hall. They have more Penn pride than a 4th year senior about to graduate. I guess if you pay over a $100,000 a year in tuition, you must have a lot/justify your school pride!

Now one would think that with students paying $100,000 in tuition a semester that UPENN's dental school would have the nicest facilities of all the american dental schools, but it does not. Whilst The Robert Schattner center or main entrance of the school is a new and modern space that houses the admissions office, the billing office where patients check in and check out, as well as the faculty clinics and OS department, the rest of the school, where students spend the majority of their time are old and average at best. Like moles, students spend the grand majority of their time underground in the school's basement in windowless lecture halls, or the schools dentistry lab which is often described as a dungeon due to the untidy and dilapidated work space. The basement is also notorious for its leaky pipes, and the rotten egg smell coming from the drains.

So if the facilities are not the greatest, does the school make this up with an awesome faculty? While you have a small handful of really great professors, the rest are just average, and then you have some which are just straight a**holes. The worst are the foreign dentists who teach the general restorative lab course where first and second year dental student learn and hone their dental skills. Often hailing from the eastern Europe or South East Asia, these foreign dentists teach or rather torture dental students hand skills and techniques. They do not do it for the love of teaching, but rather a pay check as they legally cannot practice dentistry here in the United States. Their criticism is rather corrosive and harsh, and it is not unusual for student to break down in tears during and after lab sessions. One would think this sort of the thing would be frowned down upon by an institution of this caliber, but Penn dental seems to believe this tough love drill sergeant mentality creates better dental students. However it is this exact tough love mentality while Penn Dental has such few alumni donations, because students even decades afterwards are still bitter at what they had to go through to earn their dental degrees.

Many students try to justify the dental schools shortcomings and high price tag thinking upon graduation they will have superior clinical and hand skills than their other dental school counterparts, or are more likely to get into a specialty program of their choice or they will have more patients because they went to a name brand school and are "better" educated. The fact of the matter is the grand majority of patients do not care, and do not even ask where their dentist attend university? How many of you know what University the last dentist you had seen attended? Most people either choose a dentist via a recommendation from a family member, friend or dentist that he/she is highly skilled and capable provider, or they go to a clinic with the most affordable cost of their required procedure or where their insurance will allow. While attending Penn dental will make you attractive to a residency program, you will find that the majority of your residency class is made up of non-penn/ivy dental graduates, and you will learn that it is not as essential as you thought to getting into a resident program as the university would make you believe. Lastly while you enjoyed boasting and bragging to your dental and medical friends that you attended Penn Dental for the last four years receiving all the accolades that came along with it, in the real world outside of the dental bubble no one cares ad recognizes that you went to Penn Dental. No one knows that its a "top" school, or that its ivy league or even heard of its name. The name won't elicit awe them the same way the name Harvard or Columbia would and frankly never will. So if you go to Penn dental, don't be annoyed and angered that you paid half a million dollars to the tuition only for it to be mixed up with a state school.
Do you go to UPenn? It sounds like you sure have a lot of knowledge about the school.

As I was reading this, I thought to myself 'I wish someone would write something like this about NYU'. (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nyu-college-of-dentistry-a-students-perspective.1046052/ .....just fyi)
Almost all of the repliers here were quick to call the op a douche and whatever...but it sounds like op did attend the school. Of course, it's still your responsibility to filter what you read.
Yea, if someone wrote **** about NYUCD, I would get defensive. But a little part of me would also be like, well it was good to know that before hand.

And I'm sorry, but the thing op said about mixing up UPENN and PENN State is true around here.

but like @toothtooth000 said in another thread i was apart of, "if you are blessed enough to have gotten an acceptance to ANY dental school, be grateful. everyone here was once a pre-dent wanting desperatley to GET IN, now once were in we become ratchet divas criticizing the crap out of every school."

OP could be genuine and just want to convey what he's learned to his SDN brothers and sisters, but I will post this regardless because it made my week!

Reactions: 8 users
Maybe the OP is genuine. He can clear any doubt, very simply.

OP, if you are still reading this, you can make yourself seem a lot more real if you upload some official UPenn letter or some sort of correspondence, something that shows you truly attend UPenn Dental. Print screen whatever you can from you computer, paste into Microsoft Paint, crop the picture to include the only relevant stuff, black out your name and other sensitive info, and then upload it here. That it would do us all a huge service.

Maybe the OP is genuine. He can clear any doubt, very simply.

OP, if you are still reading this, you can make yourself seem a lot more real if you upload some official UPenn letter or some sort of correspondence, something that shows you truly attend UPenn Dental. Print screen whatever you can from you computer, paste into Microsoft Paint, crop the picture to include the only relevant stuff, black out your name and other sensitive info, and then upload it here. That it would do us all a huge service.
Assuming that was his ulterior motive in the first place :eyebrow:

Thanks for the insight. But UPenn would never be on my radar...or Ivy League school's in general. Sure, it's nice to say I went to Harvard. But unless it's medicine, politics, law, or business, I fail to see how connections there would make me a better dentist or provide a faster route to my own practice, generally speaking.

All things considered equal, residency directors would likely take an Ivy graduate over a non-Ivy graduate. Why would they not? I know the common theme among SDN is that which school you go to doesn't matter, but for residency application purposes, I don't see how it can't. Residency directors all over the country will know and acknowledge the name, period. It makes their programs look good, keeps their prestige high. Take a look at the most competitive specialty in medicine (arguably PRS), and year after year, objectively speaking, residency programs glut over Ivy/Stanford/JHU/etc graduates. My friend was recently on an interview trail for orthopedic surgery (albeit not as competitive as PRS), and she was almost disgusted by how many Ivy grads she met on the way. Why wouldn't the same apply to the most competitive dental specialties (ortho, OMFS, etc)?

You could make the argument that Penn attracts students likely to pursue competitive specialties in the first place, but I could make a counter-argument saying that that environment is worth its weight in $$$; if it edges you out over other applicants, then so be it.

That said, I had to turn down Penn for Columbia, and this was purely a financial decision because I will have free housing with my brother in NYC (also a Columbia student). It was extremely painful to withdraw and I literally hesitated like 10 times before sending the email lol :(

Different priorities for different people. If you're just shooting for general dentistry, GPR, or AEGD, school name probably won't matter. But for competitive specialties, history doesn't lie - Penn will give you an advantage.

Last edited:
All things considered equal, residency directors would likely take an Ivy graduate over a non-Ivy graduate. Why would they not? I know the common theme among SDN is that which school you go to doesn't matter, but for residency application purposes, I don't see how it can't. Residency directors all over the country will know and acknowledge the name, period. It makes their programs look good, keeps their prestige high. Take a look at the most competitive specialty in medicine (arguably PRS), and year after year, objectively speaking, residency programs glut over Ivy/Stanford/JHU/etc graduates. My friend was recently on an interview trail for orthopedic surgery (albeit not as competitive as PRS), and she was almost disgusted by how many Ivy grads she met on the way. Why wouldn't the same apply to the most competitive dental specialties (ortho, OMFS, etc)?

You could make the argument that Penn attracts students likely to pursue competitive specialties in the first place, but I could make a counter-argument saying that that environment is worth its weight in $$$; if it edges you out over other applicants, then so be it.

That said, I had to turn down Penn for Columbia, and this was purely a financial decision because I will have free housing with my brother in NYC (also a Columbia student). It was extremely painful to withdraw and I literally hesitated like 10 times before sending the email lol :(

Different priorities for different people. If you're just shooting for general dentistry, GPR, or AEGD, school name probably won't matter. But for competitive specialties, history doesn't lie - Penn will give you an advantage.

Personally, I'll take the financial advantage of going to a well-regarded public dental school over IVY dental any day. Making it into a specialty is much more dependent what you do in school, not where you go to school. I can't stress this enough, if you have what it takes to specialize it doesn't matter what school you go to. People specialize from every dental school. Having $250k vs $400k debt from D school is a bigger advantage in life than going to an IVY IMO. I am aware some people get the Dean's scholarship to Penn or something that makes an IVY cheaper-- that's legit for them and makes more sense to me. Not trying to knock Columbia BTW, congrats on your acceptance!

Personally, I'll take the financial advantage of going to a well-regarded public dental school over IVY dental any day. Making it into a specialty is much more dependent what you do in school, not where you go to school. I can't stress this enough, if you have what it takes to specialize it doesn't matter what school you go to. People specialize from every dental school. Having $250k vs $400k debt from D school is a bigger advantage in life than going to an IVY IMO. I am aware some people get the Dean's scholarship to Penn or something that makes an IVY cheaper-- that's legit for them and makes more sense to me. Not trying to knock Columbia BTW, congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks! And you're right, it's largely dependent on the individual for competitive specialties. And that's why I said different priorities for different people. Even at Penn, where it's graded and ranked, you can treat it like a P/F school if you don't plan for specialties.
And again take, for example, Penn in question. It's one of the few schools (along with Columbia) that dedicates a full 4 weeks to externships as part of their curriculum. For most other schools, they don't have such externship integration and would instead have to allocate their summer/winter breaks to externships. Meanwhile Columbia/Penn students could instead use that s/w break time to study for GRE/CBSE or research or even take on more externships, knowing ahead of time that they wouldn't have to dedicate time outside of school for externships. Also, Columbia ranks by thirds, Penn doesn't rank past #10, Harvard doesn't rank. Huge advantage in my books.
It's these little perks that really mean most in the end. When times are as competitive as it is now, every little opportunity matters (to those that take advantage of them, at least).

deleted

Last edited: