General Admissions & OTCAS Why the OTD isn't for most.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

occupationalguy

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of debate about this, but I wanted to let people know that the OTD is a bit of a designer degree. If you're interested in academic positions - you will need a PhD.

An OTD is a clinican's degree to enable management skills and leadership. If the OTD will cost you the same as a MS I say go for it, but be aware that you will not make anymore money with an OTD compared to a MS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
My research indicates more and more schools are relinquishing MOTs and offering just OTDs (Sam Merritt and UCA this cycle, Midwestern next, Elmhurst, etc).

Are schools doing this in preparation for OTD becoming the entry level requirement? I believe by 2025, right? And, did that officially "pass?" If so, it's no longer a designer degree...Those who are applying before 2025 will be grandfathered in, but there are more than a few schools that are only offering OTD even though it's 9 years away.

What do you think accounts for this? The OTs I know in the field are all against it. They say it'll saddle students with more student loan debt than what their salaries are capable of reasonably paying back, and that many facilities won't hire these candidates because they CAN'T pay them. Everyone I've talked to across the board says they favor clinical reasoning and experience over fancy letters after one's name, yet this is moving forward. I guess I don't really understand why?

Reactions: 2 users
My research indicates more and more schools are relinquishing MOTs and offering just OTDs (Sam Merritt and UCA this cycle, Midwestern next, Elmhurst, etc).

Are schools doing this in preparation for OTD becoming the entry level requirement? I believe by 2025, right? And, did that officially "pass?" If so, it's no longer a designer degree...Those who are applying before 2025 will be grandfathered in, but there are more than a few schools that are only offering OTD even though it's 9 years away.

What do you think accounts for this? The OTs I know in the field are all against it. They say it'll saddle students with more student loan debt than what their salaries are capable of reasonably paying back, and that many facilities won't hire these candidates because they CAN'T pay them. Everyone I've talked to across the board says they favor clinical reasoning and experience over fancy letters after one's name, yet this is moving forward. I guess I don't really understand why?

It has been officially passed that all school be a dotoral program by 2025: Here is what I found on OTCAS
Q. Why consider the doctorate as the single entry-level degree?

The profession has “sanctioned” the entry-level doctoral programs since the first OTD program was accredited in 1998. At that time, the profession offered three different degree levels for entry to the profession. This position of the OTD was reinforced by the Representative Assembly in 1999 when it adopted Resolution J, making it the official policy of the Association that the entry to the professional level of practice in occupational therapy be at the post baccalaureate degree level. Currently there are 6 accredited and 13 applicant or candidate entry-level doctoral programs. The view of some that we should sanction the master’s degree as the entry level neglects to recognize that entry-level doctoral programs exist and are proliferating. While this is not a compelling argument in and of itself for moving to the OTD entry level, it is an important point of consideration in the discussion.

Master’s programs in occupational therapy have a high credit load compared to most master’s-level programs. Students in combined bachelor’s/master’s programs typically take a minimum of 5 to 5.5 years post-secondary study to complete the entry-level requirements. Students in graduate master’s programs typically take a minimum of 6 to 6.5 years of post-secondary study. The United States Department of Education defines a professional doctorate as “a doctorate that is conferred upon completion of a program providing the knowledge and skills for the recognition, credential, or license required to enter professional practice. The degree is awarded after a period of study such that the total time to the degree, including both pre-professional and professional preparation, equals at least six full-time equivalent academic years.” (retrievedhttp://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/news_room/trp_technical_review_02072006_18.asp). Many of the existing master’s programs meet or exceed the USDE minimal requirement for a professional doctorate.

The current high credit load in master’s programs makes it very difficult to add additional content, especially with the current trends in state policy to limit the credit loads of degrees to control costs. However, the educational programs are being asked to address changes in the health care delivery system, such as the increased focus on primary care, interprofessional care teams, and specialization in practice, all of which will require increased content in the entry-level academic programs (Institute of Medicine, 2010; Interprofessional Education Collaborative Expert Panel, 2011; National Committee for Quality Assurance (NQF), 2013). The practice community has argued that other areas of the curriculum do not currently meet the needs of their practice areas and are petitioning ACOTE for increased content.

The majority of health professions are either at the doctoral level, transitioning to the doctorate, or are debating the issue. The studies on the development of the professions have identified that as professions have “matured” they have moved to higher degree levels (http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/previous-work/professional-graduate-education). More often than not, the primary issues are related to autonomy and perceived power.

When considering whether to recommend doctoral as the entry-level degree, we examined what has changed since we moved to the master’s entry level and considered what might have happened if we had not done this. At that time concerns were raised regarding costs, access, diversity, and faculty shortages, with little perceived gain in competency as an entry-level therapist. Then, as now, we saw the advantages of a more advanced degree in terms of where the health care system and the profession were going. The profession ultimately made the transition successfully and holds a respected position as a member of health care teams, which is reflected in both public policy and practice. However, we know the health care system continues to change with the evolution of new delivery models and approaches to care, and this environment presents both opportunities and dangers. For example, occupational therapy was initially excluded from an important national initiative to develop an assessment on interprofessional behaviors because we were not a “doctoral” profession. While this is but one example, we are deeply concerned that we could be seriously disadvantaged in the emerging health care environment if we don’t have the educational equivalent of our peers in other health care professions.

Source: American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) (2014). 2012-2013Aggregate Program Data: PT Programs. Author: Alexandria, VA. Retrieved fromhttp://www.capteonline.org/AggregateProgramData/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Then this can't really be considered a "designer degree" can it, if it will be THE standard by 2025?
I'm just applying now, so I have a lot to learn, and am definitely interested in the topic. Thank you for the links.

You will be grandfathered in up to the year 2025 with a masters

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Then this can't really be considered a "designer degree" can it,proceed to the most affordable MOT program you can find with decent pass rates on the NBCOT. if it will be THE standard by 2025?
I'm just applying now, so I have a lot to learn, and am definitely interested in the topic. Thank you for the links.

Since you do not need a OTD to practice currently, and any practitioner who gets their degree before 2025 will be grandfathered in, I would ask you why you want an OTD vs a MOT?
The OTD as it is currently structured is a program to give experienced practitioners skills set for management and I assume research skills as well. It is not likely that an OTD will aide an entry level clinician in much of any way; if you are paying extra for this degree I would caution any student who enters an OTD program and pays extra for little benefit as an entry level clinician.

I would ask any student these questions:

1- Do you wish to engage in research and be an academic? IF YES -> Proceed to the MOT program you can find with the academic you wish to engage in research with and establish professional links with. While an OTD program may cut muster for academic positions, in order to be most marketable in academica you should plan on a PhD program. Most of my professors had a regular old MS degree. I personally think that to be most marketable one would have a MS in OT and a combined PhD in a related field e.g. gerontology, psychology, public health etc.

2- Do you wish to be an entry level clinician? If YES -> Proceed to the most affordable MOT program you can find with decent pass rates on the NBCOT.

3- Do you wish to be in management? IF YES --> proceed to the most affordable MOT program you can find with decent pass rates on the NBCOT. Gain experience. Plan on possibly earning an OTD after 5-10 years of work experience. Even then you don't need an OTD to be in admin, and nearly every director of rehab I have met has a BS degree.

"My research indicates more and more schools are relinquishing MOTs and offering just OTDs (Sam Merritt and UCA this cycle, Midwestern next, Elmhurst, etc)."

for the record Samuel Merrit, and Midwestern are among the very most expensive OT programs in the country. Most OTs are against the move to the OTD because there isn't a real reason to go to an OTD. The schools you cite are some of the most expensive schools in the country. Samuel Merrit's degree costs 6 figures; an OT salary is nowhere near 6 figures on average. An OTD will only add to these costs. I would severely caution any student entering our field with notions of higher pay and greater job mobility due to getting an OTD.

It is very hard for me survive on the level of debt I have incurred from my modestly priced MOT program. I cannot understand how programs are charging 100k+ for MOT programs; added to undergraduate debt this is a mountain of debt that the typical OT will have great difficulty paying off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I would severely caution any student entering our field with notions of higher pay and greater job mobility due to getting an OTD.

We (PTs) had similar discussions when the PT degree went from a Master's to a Doctorate. If you look in the big DPT Facebook group (there are several - I'm talking about the main one), you will find lots of folks who say "I should be making 100K+ because I have a Doctorate." Famous last words...

I have been tracking PT new-grads' pay since 2012. From what I have seen, the bulk of the offers has stayed around 60K-65K from then up to now.

Reactions: 3 users
We (PTs) had similar discussions when the PT degree went from a Master's to a Doctorate. If you look in the big DPT Facebook group (there are several - I'm talking about the main one), you will find lots of folks who say "I should be making 100K+ because I have a Doctorate." Famous last words...

I have been tracking PT new-grads' pay since 2012. From what I have seen, the bulk of the offers has stayed around 60K-65K from then up to now.

That is about what our starting salaries are also. 60-65k. A degree from some schools cost up to 120k; I have difficulty advising any student to take on such debt when held up against our average salaries.

The OTD will be a requirement, it isn't one now. I think that programs which cost in excess of 100k and are marketing an OTD to entry level clinicians are selling students a bag of goods which borders on fraud.

Reactions: 2 users
That is about what our starting salaries are also. 60-65k. A degree from some schools cost up to 120k; I have difficulty advising any student to take on such debt when held up against our average salaries.

The OTD will be a requirement, it isn't one now. I think that programs which cost in excess of 100k and are marketing an OTD to entry level clinicians are selling students a bag of goods which borders on fraud.

My program is pushing the OTD. Some classmates are going for it.

lol.

I will add places where an OTD is helpful:
1- Govt work: you will get considered with no experience for govt jobs with the doctorate level degree
2- School districts will pay you a bit more for having a doctorate compared to a masters

These are the two areas where I see the OTD actually giving you a slight edge. If you are interested in working in a hospital, outpatient, or a clinic situation: the OTD doesn't get you more money or make you more marketable necessarily.

I will add places where an OTD is helpful:
1- Govt work: you will get considered with no experience for govt jobs with the doctorate level degree
2- School districts will pay you a bit more for having a doctorate compared to a masters

These are the two areas where I see the OTD actually giving you a slight edge. If you are interested in working in a hospital, outpatient, or a clinic situation: the OTD doesn't get you more money or make you more marketable necessarily.

So what if the OTD program is cheaper than the MOT program??? I don't want to make a choice based on cost but I also don't want to be in a program that I'm not sure will fit me...mainly my lack of love for research. But, I am staring at a pile of debt from undergrad as well as a COTA program...bridge program isn't an option for me, and what I want to do I need to be an OT and not a COTA although I do plan on trying to work PRN as a COTA while in OT school to try to off set the cost. Seriously torn...

Anyone know how long it takes to turn a MSOT to an OTD through a bridge program? Or how many credits?

So what if the OTD program is cheaper than the MOT program??? I don't want to make a choice based on cost but I also don't want to be in a program that I'm not sure will fit me...mainly my lack of love for research. But, I am staring at a pile of debt from undergrad as well as a COTA program...bridge program isn't an option for me, and what I want to do I need to be an OT and not a COTA although I do plan on trying to work PRN as a COTA while in OT school to try to off set the cost. Seriously torn...

I strongly suggest you do what is best for you. Only you can judge. I do think you may benefit from asking clinicians in the field what they think about the OTD vs the MS degree.
I can only say that most people tend to weigh the benefits in a cost vs benefit perspective; I've not met any clinicians that are supportive of the move we have to a OTD in our field. I've never once heard a hiring manager prefer a OTD vs say a BS hire. In fact most of your DOR's are going to be bachelor's degrees due to age.

If you care about the goodness of fit you have good reason to: you're there for two years, and if you get a poor education and the pass rates are bad, that won't be a good thing. Then again, you're stuck with student loans for life. I'd weigh my options carefully. Personally I went to the cheapest program I could find nationally with the highest pass rates. Not once has anyone asked me my GPA, the rank of my school or if I have a OTD or a BS degree. They've asked me if I have experience and if I am licensed in the state, and if I have my immunizations. It's important to remember this isn't law school; rank and gpa and degree type matter very little if you plan on being a clinician. In fact, I would go so far as to say they matter next to not at all.

Reactions: 1 users