WILKES UNIVERSITY Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RealUnreaL

Work Smarter, Not Harder!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Just want to put t his in here who is looking for information about wilkes university pharmacy school.
I was there couple days ago, it is 2 hours away from Philadelphia PA
the town name is wilkes-Barre.
University is basically central of the town.
it is a small university
they have pretty good pharmacy program.
for transfer students , it is hard to get in, they usually take like 6-7 transfer students.
Admission officers were very friendly. They took me to school tour.
if you did your pre pharm courses in a different schools which would be a CC
as long as if you take 18 credits from wilkes, they will consider you as a wilkes student.
What I meant for saying consider as a wilkes university?
if you apply to wilkes right out from high shool , you will get accepted by wilkes pharm program. but if you do all your pre pharm courses in a different school , they will not consider you as a wilkes student. so why do you want to be consider as wilkes student.
When you apply to pharm D program at wilkes, they will first accept their own students. then they will accept transfer students.
thats why you have a little bit more chance than the other people.
their GPA req is 2.0 for transfer students.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the complete opposite experience. I thought the admissions officers were very rude. We tried scheduling a pre-pharmacy club visit to the pharmacy school due to it only being 30-40 minutes away. We were basically rejected all requested and hung up on. We got a tour from someone in the club from a previous year who transferred into the program.
Also I read that their pharmacy program is ranked one of the worst in the country.

I have to disagree. The Wilkes Pharmacy Program is actually quite good. It's relatively a new school (10 years old), so our program is very current. It's a very professional program that is centered on turning it's students into the best clinicians of tomorrow. I would know since I went through it. I visited other schools of pharmacy (i applied to over 10 since I was a transfer!!), and I picked them for a reason. I was happy with my choice too, no regrets! It's hard to get into, many many pre-pharm students fail out of their gauranteed students and for silly classes like economics or org. chem lab. It's a tough program, but the professors are always available to their students. The benefit of it being small is that every professor will always know your name, and are willing to help. You really see the difference in your final year (p4) year when you are out and about for clinical rotations. Hospitals and other sites LOVE wilkes students since we are definitely a level or two above P4 students from other schools of pharmacy. Infact some sites have stopped accepting students from other schools and only take wilkes students. An example is SUNY Buffalo medical center. BIG PROBLEM WITH OTHER SCHOOLS ----->Other schools like USP in philly tell their students to find their own experiential sites, while wilkes does all that for us. Trust me, this is a HUGE issue. The board has mandated students get experience in each year of school and not just the final year and most other schools have decided they don't care to find you a site. It's hard for students to do so, and it's a waste of time. Wilkes employs people just to do it all for us and plan it out. There are some sites that are not perfect, but they are working at it. ALl my sites were wonderful, and I learned a lot! That being said wilkes-barre city is a dump, but I still had the time of my life, I met all my bestests there, and there are definitely places to go out in both WB and Scranton. Hope this helps!!

Members don't see this ad :)
im currently in my first year of college in the doctor of pharmacy program at massachusetts college of pharmacy and health sciences and i am trying to transfer for next year. i have been looked at by the soccer team at wilkes university but never considered going there until now. Does it help my chances of being accepted as a transfer student coming from a pharmacy school and that i have only been through one year of pre-pharmacy?

I have to disagree. The Wilkes Pharmacy Program is actually quite good. It's relatively a new school (10 years old), so our program is very current. It's a very professional program that is centered on turning it's students into the best clinicians of tomorrow. I would know since I went through it. I visited other schools of pharmacy (i applied to over 10 since I was a transfer!!), and I picked them for a reason. I was happy with my choice too, no regrets! It's hard to get into, many many pre-pharm students fail out of their gauranteed students and for silly classes like economics or org. chem lab. It's a tough program, but the professors are always available to their students. The benefit of it being small is that every professor will always know your name, and are willing to help. You really see the difference in your final year (p4) year when you are out and about for clinical rotations. Hospitals and other sites LOVE wilkes students since we are definitely a level or two above P4 students from other schools of pharmacy. Infact some sites have stopped accepting students from other schools and only take wilkes students. An example is SUNY Buffalo medical center. BIG PROBLEM WITH OTHER SCHOOLS ----->Other schools like USP in philly tell their students to find their own experiential sites, while wilkes does all that for us. Trust me, this is a HUGE issue. The board has mandated students get experience in each year of school and not just the final year and most other schools have decided they don't care to find you a site. It's hard for students to do so, and it's a waste of time. Wilkes employs people just to do it all for us and plan it out. There are some sites that are not perfect, but they are working at it. ALl my sites were wonderful, and I learned a lot! That being said wilkes-barre city is a dump, but I still had the time of my life, I met all my bestests there, and there are definitely places to go out in both WB and Scranton. Hope this helps!!
My son also considered this pharmacy school. How do you handle the huge tuition? It is pricy even after the $17,000 merit scholarship (on its web site) for 6 years. It will cost $17,000 + lodging and meals. I am in harrisburg, pa.
What is the real gpa and sat score to get into the program? The minimum requirements is too low.
I don't like they did not provide the saturday admission interview because my son had a perfect attendance at high school so far.
The application is free.