will a felony stop me from pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacyboi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I justed started my pre-pharm classes in champaign illinois and my grades are good but I was worried about the felony i have on my background from four years ago. Do you think that this would stop me form getting into pharmacy school even though the grades are good and volunteer work has been done. Also conidering the fact its not drug related and should be about 6-7 years old upon my admission.

Members don't see this ad.

A felony will not hinder you from entering pharmacy school. The schools do not perform any background checks and this is the least of your problems. You will have problems getting licensed and finding employment. Talk to a lawyer and see if you can get an expungement.

JackBeanstalk said:
A felony will not hinder you from entering pharmacy school. The schools do not perform any background checks and this is the least of your problems. You will have problems getting licensed and finding employment. Talk to a lawyer and see if you can get an expungement.

I thought they did...? at least that's why they explained to us that that is part of the reason our supplemental fee is $70, esp when we didn't have to write another essay..

Members don't see this ad :)
JackBeanstalk said:

At UF they do. It wouldn't stop you from getting in, but it could make it difficult to get an internship license which is necessary to do rotations.

JackBeanstalk said:

I not sure if a felony will hinder admissions to a pharmacy school, but I know that during our week of orientation my entire class had to have a criminal background check, since we have to do mandatory volunteer service in the community.

I think all pharm schools do hence you have this waiver form. It wouldn't make sense that they admit a felon and then the person can't practice after leaving school [pharmacy being a health profession] as that person would default on loans even those that he got from the school.

I not sure if a felony will hinder admissions to a pharmacy school, but I know that during our week of orientation my entire class had to have a criminal background check, since we have to do mandatory volunteer service in the community.

lol, "mandatory" volunteer work.

Best kind of volunteer work if I ever saw it. :laugh:

You might want to look at the state board of pharmacy website and determine what their penalty for such offense is. Some offenses are considered immediate denial while others put you in probationary status.

I justed started my pre-pharm classes in champaign illinois and my grades are good but I was worried about the felony i have on my background from four years ago. Do you think that this would stop me form getting into pharmacy school even though the grades are good and volunteer work has been done. Also conidering the fact its not drug related and should be about 6-7 years old upon my admission.

Any felony should be a heavy concern especially if commited >18 years old. The only way you can find out is check with your state board of pharmacy. Some felonies automatically disqualifies you to be a pharmacist ie drug abuse, while other puts you in bad standing ie DUI.

This is a thread from 2005.

Well since we're partying like its 2005, it should be noted that schools generally do perform background checks and a felony, depending on what it is for, could certainly hurt your chances of admittance.

This is a thread from 2005.

Ha ha. 2005. Funny.

Lets put it this way, there are licensed professionals, pharmacists, doctors, surgeons, pediatrix, etc that I hear about getting in trouble all the time. Try looking up your state pharmacy board. in my state, you can look up the "minutes" from meetings and see what people have been in trouble. I was reading about an intern that went before the state board here and he had 2 dui's and he was just on probation. 1st was before pharm school and 2nd was during his 2nd year. they had him under a 5 year alcohol treatment plan and he had to go to meetings 2 times a week as well as meet with someone from the state board. So i suggest looking it up and even visiting the state board office. They're always helpful.

Also, some schools may not let you in, but that means of course some will. There is a reason why they dont immediately deny you for having a misd. or fel. Plus like someone said, it wouldnt make sense for them to let you go through school and then not get licensed. I know the system doesn't make sense sometimes but that would just be crazy. :laugh:

By the way, did this guy ever say what felony he committed? Looks like he only left 2 posts and disappeared.

I'm curious if anyone reading this has gotten a fel/misd and is now licensed...?

The only felony I see barring someone from pharmacy school is drug-related offenses.

A murderer could get into pharmacy school...once they get out of jail.

Take a look around and check out pharmacy board "minutes". You'd be suprised how many medical professionals get in trouble after being licensed and the 2nd and 3rd chances they get.

Guess I should show an example. Follow this link:
http://www.azpharmacy.gov/0405MINUTES.html

I suggest people with any "possible" issues check out your local pharmacy board and their minutes. Really insightful.