Will a solid MCAT make up for a low GPA? 3.12 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 513 MCAT. Apply DO or Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnyenchilada

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I want to know if I should enroll in post-bacc upper level science classes this Fall or if I should just press ahead apply to MD or DO while continuing to work full time as a clinical research coordinator.

Background:
26 yrs old, ORM (white), Texas resident
3.12 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 513 MCAT (129 C/P, 127 CARS, 127 B/B, 130 P/S).

Took two years off after my freshman year to volunteer for my church in Russia. Mostly did humanitarian work (hospice care, service projects, taught English).

So I have about 2500 hours of non-clinical volunteering (including mission trip, teaching anatomy at elementary schools, recent work with afghanistan refugees). Also speak fluent Russian, if that helps.
I have around 1000 hours working in clinical research (no pubs, but a lot of time working in the OR and with patients)
115 hours of shadowing (ortho, neurosurgery, derm, internal medicine)
Some good LORs, one from the head of neurosurgery at a T10

Also curious if I could possibly apply and take classes at the same time, and then update schools later with my grades.

Any help at all is really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are fine to apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
WCU-COM
ARCOM
BCOM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM (new school)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Basically I want to know if I should enroll in post-bacc upper level science classes this Fall or if I should just press ahead apply to MD or DO while continuing to work full time as a clinical research coordinator.

Background:
26 yrs old, ORM (white), Texas resident
3.12 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 513 MCAT (129 C/P, 127 CARS, 127 B/B, 130 P/S).

Took two years off after my freshman year to volunteer for my church in Russia. Mostly did humanitarian work (hospice care, service projects, taught English).

So I have about 2500 hours of non-clinical volunteering (including mission trip, teaching anatomy at elementary schools, recent work with afghanistan refugees). Also speak fluent Russian, if that helps.
I have around 1000 hours working in clinical research (no pubs, but a lot of time working in the OR and with patients)
115 hours of shadowing (ortho, neurosurgery, derm, internal medicine)
Some good LORs, one from the head of neurosurgery at a T10

Also curious if I could possibly apply and take classes at the same time, and then update schools later with my grades.

Any help at all is really appreciated!
Hard to tell but do you have clinical volunteer experience here in the US ?