Will I ever be able to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreVetGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior Animal Science major at a top university and have a 3.1 university GPA and a 4.0 GPA through 35hrs of dual-credit through a local community college. I have lots of veterinary and 4-H experience growing up and through high school and I've remained active in multiple organizations. However....

The bad part. Ochem and I do not get along. I have taken the class twice and received two D's and I also withdrew from the class twice. In addition, I've withdrawn from one other class and received two C's in both of my physics class. All of the rest of my classes however are all A's and B's.

I went through a period of not knowing if I wanted to be a vet and my grades suffered because of it. I had no motivation and sometimes, I still don't. BUT, I've spent the past year thinking about it and I know I will not be satisfied unless I receive my DVM one day.

After graduation, I plan on taking Ochem and Biochem at another university and WILL receive an A. I'm determined.

Honestly though, have I shot my chances of getting into vet school? I overheard some students today saying that vet school considers all class withdraws as automatic F's. Is this true??? The vet school I want to apply to is Colorado State. Do they do this???

Also, I plan on completing a rigid science-oriented master's program before I APPLY to vet school. Would this increase my chances of getting accepted or will my undergrad grades count me out all together?

Thank you to everyone in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well for one, you're going to have to pass organic chemistry. A D is not passing as far as all the schools i'm aware of are concerned, you'll need a C or higher.

edit: I see you addressed that - you can still get in if you do well in the classes and are able to discuss why you did so poorly the first time and such.

Are you OOS or IS for CSU??? CSU doesn't take many OOS students so they're pretty selective. Average cum GPA is a 3.6 for most of the past years and avg hours is over a 1000 for both animal and veterinary.

Also, it depends on whether or not the school averages your grades or does grade replacement. The master's might help, but you'd have to do well in it. I can't remember what CSU does even though I applied there.

It might be a good idea to look at schools that look more at the big picture or don't place as much emphasis on GPA. You would also need to rock your GREs. Excellent GRE scores can help make up for the GPA bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a junior Animal Science major at a top university and have a 3.1 university GPA and a 4.0 GPA through 35hrs of dual-credit through a local community college. I have lots of veterinary and 4-H experience growing up and through high school and I've remained active in multiple organizations. However....

The bad part. Ochem and I do not get along. I have taken the class twice and received two D's and I also withdrew from the class twice. In addition, I've withdrawn from one other class and received two C's in both of my physics class. All of the rest of my classes however are all A's and B's.

I went through a period of not knowing if I wanted to be a vet and my grades suffered because of it. I had no motivation and sometimes, I still don't. BUT, I've spent the past year thinking about it and I know I will not be satisfied unless I receive my DVM one day.

After graduation, I plan on taking Ochem and Biochem at another university and WILL receive an A. I'm determined.

Honestly though, have I shot my chances of getting into vet school? I overheard some students today saying that vet school considers all class withdraws as automatic F's. Is this true??? The vet school I want to apply to is Colorado State. Do they do this???

Also, I plan on completing a rigid science-oriented master's program before I APPLY to vet school. Would this increase my chances of getting accepted or will my undergrad grades count me out all together?

Thank you to everyone in advance. :)

As far as I know, a "W" is a "W", not an "F" as they don't count it in your GPA. I had a W on my transcript and a C in Ochem and I got onto the OOS waitlist at Colorado State this year (if that helps) and was accepted to my IS. You will obviously have a tougher time getting in then if you hadn't gotten Ds and Cs, but I wouldn't count yourself out completely. You can make some of these things up with the GRE. I would suggest not applying to schools that take your physics and Ochem and make a GPA out of them (like Auburn does). Maybe post your stats on the "What are my chances" thread and get a better idea.
It helps to know your veterinary and animal hours and your GRE score if you took it....

I am OOS but I am looking at one of CSU's master's programs, which upon completion (and after living in Colorado for a year) would qualify me as IS.

I have not taken the GRE yet and plan on doing so after I graduate next May. I will need the year after I graduate to work and save up some money anyways, so I figured I'd have plenty of time to study for the GRE.

I have well over 1000hrs of animal experience (raised on a farm and competed in horse and livestock shows for ten years) and my best guess is 800 or so hours of veterinary experience.

I am OOS but I am looking at one of CSU's master's programs, which upon completion (and after living in Colorado for a year) would qualify me as IS.

I have not taken the GRE yet and plan on doing so after I graduate next May. I will need the year after I graduate to work and save up some money anyways, so I figured I'd have plenty of time to study for the GRE.

I have well over 1000hrs of animal experience (raised on a farm and competed in horse and livestock shows for ten years) and my best guess is 800 or so hours of veterinary experience.

Just as something to compare your stats to, I also applied for the dual degree this year with a 3.6 cum GPA and a GRE score of 1250 and got rejected flat out for the dual degree. It is even more competitive than the vet school alone. Not trying to bum you out, just be aware.

Do you actually qualify as IS even though your living there for educational purposes? Most schools say you have to live in the state and earn x amount of dollars the year before application to be qualified as IS. I'm just asking cause I'd hate for you to move out there and then not be able to claim IS.

Experience wise, you seem to be right on track, so I think as long as you retake those classes and do well in them, do well in your master's program and do well on the GRE, I don't see why you couldn't have a chance at getting in.

Just as something to compare your stats to, I also applied for the dual degree this year with a 3.6 cum GPA and a GRE score of 1250 and got rejected flat out for the dual degree. It is even more competitive than the vet school alone. Not trying to bum you out, just be aware.

Poo. It looks like I missed the wait list based on experience...or maybe a LOR or one of my PPI's wasn't strong...which would surprise me because I trusted my people. Wish CSU did actual file reviews though. But at least you're giving me your wait list spot, right? Hehehe.

I don't plan on applying for the dual-degree. I'd prefer to complete one of their master's programs alone and THEN apply to the vet school. The program I'm considering is completely separate from the vet school, but still very science-oriented.

As far as I know, a "W" is a "W", not an "F" as they don't count it in your GPA. I had a W on my transcript and a C in Ochem and I got onto the OOS waitlist at Colorado State this year (if that helps) and was accepted to my IS. You will obviously have a tougher time getting in then if you hadn't gotten Ds and Cs, but I wouldn't count yourself out completely. You can make some of these things up with the GRE. I would suggest not applying to schools that take your physics and Ochem and make a GPA out of them (like Auburn does). Maybe post your stats on the "What are my chances" thread and get a better idea.
It helps to know your veterinary and animal hours and your GRE score if you took it....

I got TWO Ws in ochem 2, then took it again and got an A. was waitlisted at CSU with a 3.42. (however, my last 45 is 3.7)

CSU is very different about how they judge your grades. They like a positive trend towards the end. In my jr year I had a 3.1. There's still room for improvement, and you might have to sit out a year. But it's not the end of the world!!!

I don't plan on applying for the dual-degree. I'd prefer to complete one of their master's programs alone and THEN apply to the vet school. The program I'm considering is completely separate from the vet school, but still very science-oriented.

Yeah, I applied for the MPH degree.

O yeah. I'm OOS and also got into my IS, which is hard to do.

I have very cool extracurriculars though. It has always made me different :D

Poo. It looks like I missed the wait list based on experience...or maybe a LOR or one of my PPI's wasn't strong...which would surprise me because I trusted my people. Wish CSU did actual file reviews though. But at least you're giving me your wait list spot, right? Hehehe.

Maybe between Tigerwillow and I you'll end up with it! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hehe! I'm going to visit CSU this friday bc of my non refundable plane ticket but maybe i can tell them in person "give my spot to orca!!!"

I was a professional tap dancer (actually made money performing with a live jazz band) and a dance teacher for little kids (tap, jazz, ballet, hip hop, modern). So my file review stated that as lots of patience and leadership experience. Also played violin for 7 years and did many plays and musicals. Oh and cheer leading. Pretty sure I did a whole bunch of other crap at the same time.

In college I worked part time in the deans office and I also was president of the newly formed Health Care Business Club. In a sorority and was the GAMMA and DECA representative. But I mostly worked. And worked. Further worked two part time jobs after college while taking more pre reqs

Oh I danced and was in many competition groups from age 5-18. Cant do the math lol

I was a professional tap dancer (actually made money performing with a live jazz band) and a dance teacher for little kids (tap, jazz, ballet, hip hop, modern). So my file review stated that as lots of patience and leadership experience. Also played violin for 7 years and did many plays and musicals. Oh and cheer leading. Pretty sure I did a whole bunch of other crap at the same time.

In college I worked part time in the deans office and I also was president of the newly formed Health Care Business Club. In a sorority and was the GAMMA and DECA representative. But I mostly worked. And worked. Further worked two part time jobs after college while taking more pre reqs
That's awesome! And people say pre-vet students and vets are only talented with animals...

So do you think I should put down that I worked in the preschool that was part of my high school for three years, because it means I'm patient. Would it count as leadership? ;)

(Even if not, I hope it'll get me the daycare/preschool job I am applying to right now..)

So do you think I should put down that I worked in the preschool that was part of my high school for three years, because it means I'm patient. Would it count as leadership? ;)

(Even if not, I hope it'll get me the daycare/preschool job I am applying to right now..)

Sure. I used my life guarding job as what made me unique (at least I think it was the essay topic) because I taught swim lessons to three year olds which required me to approach certain skills from a variety of angles to make them less scary and fun. I said how it would allow me to be more creative in my approach to patients and allow me to work with with people from a variety of backgrounds and situations.

Haha okk. I'm thinking about making a Word document and recording every single thing I do and how I would make it look the best on a application in three years. hahaha

Awesome, TW. Yeah, having a variety of experiences makes you an awesome applicant. I know my ballet, science teaching, and fluency in American Sign Language helped make up for my dismal undergraduate grades. I had a W in ochem 2, took it again and got a B. Took ochem 1 and got a D then again to get a C. I only got in at St. George's so far, so I may not be the best person to compare to, but I know how you feel! I refused to apply after graduation because I didn't want to face rejection. 5 years later, I knew I had I do it, and here I am! If you know this is what you want, you will absolutely do it. Whether it happens right away or in ten years :p

I think the question right now should be refocused to: what is going wrong, and how will I overcome it BOTH now and for vet school? Many people struggle with Ochem but I think you need to get to the root cause here... test anxiety? not putting in enough time? trying to memorize instead of conceptualize? undiagnosed learning diability? need a better foundation in gen chem? The first step to doing well is to figure out the actual problem that's holding you back... obviously you've done well in most other classes so it should be surmountable if you can pin it down.

I know it's super easy to think "once I get in to vet school, everything will be ok." But if you have something going on, it WILL come up in vet school and it's so much easier to figure it out now before you're in that crazy environment. Vet school is like a pressure cooker... it will bring out whatever weaknesses students have, and probably create new ones (I have test anxiety now and tests never bothered me in undergrad, for example). I'm not trying to be an ass or scare you, but I know firsthand what it's like to start vet school and realize that you have no idea how to study for this type of material and to have no time to figure it out. If you get things straight now, it will make your experience in vet school a million times easier.

And to answer your question: yes, I think if you figure out what is going on and fix it, you will be able to get to (and through) vet school. Good luck:luck:

Do you actually qualify as IS even though your living there for educational purposes? Most schools say you have to live in the state and earn x amount of dollars the year before application to be qualified as IS. I'm just asking cause I'd hate for you to move out there and then not be able to claim IS.

In Colorado it doesn't matter if you are a student. You are not required to have a job to qualify for IS. Age does matter, however. You are not considered to be an emancipated adult until you are 23 or older. If you are 23 or older, you only need to get a Colorado driver's license, get a Colorado license plates, sign a lease or buy a home, and (of course) live in the state one year prior to matriculation.

CSU is very different about how they judge your grades. They like a positive trend towards the end. In my jr year I had a 3.1. There's still room for improvement, and you might have to sit out a year. But it's not the end of the world!!!

I absolutly agree with this! They love improvement!

Hehe! I'm going to visit CSU this friday bc of my non refundable plane ticket but maybe i can tell them in person "give my spot to orca!!!"

Ohoh! You should come and visit me! I can show you the baby foals at the equine repro center!

Definitly! You should put everything you can remeber doing!

PreVetGirl- I just want to warn you that alot of people do the PlanB masters program at CSU as a way to get into the vet program. You need to really show an improvemnet in your grades during the masters program for it to do you any good. It is dificult to stand out as an applicant with this degree becasue so many applicants have it. However, a large number of applicants from this program (and the toxicology masters-which can be a nice backup if the plan B doens't work out) do get in. I think about 20 last year from both. I also recommend continuing to get experience while in the program. They really like to see that you are challenging yourself. Good luck, and definitly don't count yourself out!

I personally know a vet who went to CSU for undergrad and stayed for a Masters in Anatomy (4.0 for the Masters) and still did not get in. Regardless, I do think you have a chance, especially if you stick to this very thought out plan you seem to have about how you can make your application better. Since you are planning on waiting to apply - get a lot more than 800 hours on your app. Sadly, 800 hours is not very competitive if it's only at one or two places. And if you wait years to apply, they will want to make sure you've still been working with vets. I also think being more reaistic and looking at other schools than CSU will help. Schools release their stats of who gets accepted every year. Apply to some schools that accept lower GPA's some times, etc. Vet school is what you make of it. You're going to be a great vet if you want to be, no matter where you go.

Haha okk. I'm thinking about making a Word document and recording every single thing I do and how I would make it look the best on a application in three years. hahaha

That's actually a really good idea. It can get very difficult to remember everything you've done EVER, especially for community activities or non-animal work. And it gets even more difficult when it's two weeks before the VMCAs deadline and you're super stressed!

I'm still suddenly remembering experiences I've had -- even animal/vet experiences -- that I forgot to include. Hey, P. ferox in October, remember that exhausting summer day a couple years back, when you spent twelve solid hours examining/heartworm testing/vaccinating several hundred puppies from the huge hoarding rescue? No? You totally forgot about that? That's okay, it'll come back to you in FEBRUARY. :idea: :laugh:

I think the question right now should be refocused to: what is going wrong, and how will I overcome it BOTH now and for vet school? Many people struggle with Ochem but I think you need to get to the root cause here... test anxiety? not putting in enough time? trying to memorize instead of conceptualize? undiagnosed learning diability? need a better foundation in gen chem? The first step to doing well is to figure out the actual problem that's holding you back... obviously you've done well in most other classes so it should be surmountable if you can pin it down.

I know it's super easy to think "once I get in to vet school, everything will be ok." But if you have something going on, it WILL come up in vet school and it's so much easier to figure it out now before you're in that crazy environment. Vet school is like a pressure cooker... it will bring out whatever weaknesses students have, and probably create new ones (I have test anxiety now and tests never bothered me in undergrad, for example). I'm not trying to be an ass or scare you, but I know firsthand what it's like to start vet school and realize that you have no idea how to study for this type of material and to have no time to figure it out. If you get things straight now, it will make your experience in vet school a million times easier.

And to answer your question: yes, I think if you figure out what is going on and fix it, you will be able to get to (and through) vet school. Good luck:luck:

+1. Great reply by Bunnity, I heartily agree.

+1. Great reply by Bunnity, I heartily agree.

I second this.

As long as you're able to explain your situation, I don't see why it should be an issue as long as you find a way to pass, preferably with at least a B. I'm just finishing up my undergrad at CSU, and my first semester, I flat-out failed General Chemistry II. As in, I have an F on my transcript, failed.

On my application, I told them how I had a hard time transitioning from high school (as well as the fact that all forms of chemistry exist in an entirely different dimension of "suck", and can go straight to hell). Apparently, they were OK with my circumstances, as I was accepted...

I think, as long as you are sure you're a strong applicant in most other areas, you should be a good candidate. If you're a good writer, you can incorporate this into your PS or something and really make yourself stand out from the stereotypical 4.0 GPA, perfect GRE score candidate.

Do the schools you're applying to require Biochem?

You're going to need to understand the fundamentals of Ochem in order to survive Biochem. And even if they don't require it, I'd bet you get hit with some form of medical biochemistry within the first year of the vet program.

I second (third? fourth?) what bunnity said; figure out what's bringing you down now, because no one is going to stop to clarify it for you later down the road.

You're going to need to understand the fundamentals of Ochem in order to survive Biochem. And even if they don't require it, I'd bet you get hit with some form of medical biochemistry within the first year of the vet program.

I second (third? fourth?) what bunnity said; figure out what's bringing you down now, because no one is going to stop to clarify it for you later down the road.

Actually at CSU Ochem and Biochem seem to have very little to do with each other. I can't remember ever needing any ochem knowledge to get by on a test. Ochem is more visual/spacial thinking and biochem is more kinetics and thus equations/math. I took it with Shoulders though. Maybe it's different with Shri?

I actually took biochem before I finished my ochem series. I wouldn't say it's completely necessary. It definitely helps, though!

I actually took biochem before I finished my ochem series. I wouldn't say it's completely necessary. It definitely helps, though!

Oh, word.

Biochem at my UG required OChem as a prereq and they were serious about that. x.x I had the barest grasp on OChem and that class kicked my butt. :laugh:

Thanks everyone! I've definitely received a lot of beneficial information and I plan to use it!!!

Now I'm looking into various ways to gain new animal and veterinary experience. I decided to enroll in a hands-on class this summer at an exotic animal sanctuary taught by a veterinarian who is also one of my current professors. I'm pretty excited! I also took in two foster cats (mother and 3-week old kitten) from the local animal shelter and am having fun watching the kitten develop into a little ball of energy. Lastly, I signed up to help shear alpacas at a local ranch a few days from now. Can't wait for that one!

Overall, I'm going to study hard, make my grades, get as much animal and vet experience as possible, and enjoy the process of getting into vet school.

Yes, I said "getting into vet school." If it takes me 10 years, I'm going to get in. :)

Actually at CSU Ochem and Biochem seem to have very little to do with each other. I can't remember ever needing any ochem knowledge to get by on a test. Ochem is more visual/spacial thinking and biochem is more kinetics and thus equations/math. I took it with Shoulders though. Maybe it's different with Shri?

My biochem course was almost ENTIRELY ochem in nature. It just depends on where you take it and who is teaching it.

I got a C in my first semester of gen chem, withdrew from the second semester, then got a C in that. I got a C my first semester of ochem and Failed the second semester, retook that for a C. And I had plenty of other Bs and Cs to go along with them in my other prereqs and I got my acceptance to another university this spring :) [but OOS rejection from CSU]

And I know others have posted contrary to what I'm about to say, but this summer I had looked into doing my clinical year in CO to get residency before applying, but if you read their residency rules carefully it does say that you can't get residency if you're coming to the state as a student. I have also seen on these forums that it can be frowned upon to come to CO to try to get residency the year before applying (I have no fact to base this on, only repeating what I have read). I would advise you to make a few calls to clear up your plans on getting residency before you commit to them.

Finally, finish up your grades on a strong note and do everything you can to gain stellar experiences, honors, extracurriculars, etc to make up for your lower GPA and apply to some other universities that don't put as much emphasis on grades in their selection process. Hope some of that is helpful!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I decided to take organic chemistry 1 and 2 in back to back 4-week courses this summer at the local CC. I've never studied so much in my life but....I got A's in both classes!!!!!! Just thought I'd share, I'm pretty proud of myself right now lol :D Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!

Now its just making A's my senior year and upping my university GPA!

Another question though, would it be worth it to take a 5th year as an undergrad even though I should be graduating on time? I know it wouldnt raise my 3.1 university GPA that much, but would vet school (CSU specifically) look at good grades in upper level sciences as a 5th year as a positive thing? Or should I go for a masters degree instead?

I have no smilies on my phone.... but CONGRATULATIONS ON THE A GRADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a fifth year is probably better than a masters depending on where you are applying. Especially if you are parttime and hold a cool research job or something.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I decided to take organic chemistry 1 and 2 in back to back 4-week courses this summer at the local CC. I've never studied so much in my life but....I got A's in both classes!!!!!! Just thought I'd share, I'm pretty proud of myself right now lol :D Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!

Another question though, would it be worth it to take a 5th year as an undergrad even though I should be graduating on time? I know it wouldnt raise my 3.1 university GPA that much, but would vet school (CSU specifically) look at good grades in upper level sciences as a 5th year as a positive thing? Or should I go for a masters degree instead?

Yes! Congrats. :) Knew you could do it!:D

I took 12 hours post graduation just to take a few animal science courses in preparation for application to vet school. I went from a 3.4 to a 3.5 just by taking those few classes and getting As in them. So it's totally worth it in my book. It may not raise your GPA a lot, but even if it were raised to a 3.2 or 3.3, it could improve your chances.

And if your last 45 hours is a 4.0, that would speak volumes for your determination after graduating with a somewhat low GPA. :)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

So many people say they're going to get better grades and don't follow through - you are exceptional to actually do it! Keep it up!

I think vet schools do look very positively on good grades in higher levels, and a very high last 45 credit hours. Either a fifth year or grad program would probably work well - you may want to talk to your advisor to discuss how each option would impact your financial aid availability and course selection.