Will I ever make it through medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckyStar1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need your insight because I'm too depressed to think straight...

I'm a second year med student and I wanted to be a doctor since when i was young because doctors gave me hope when i had my asthma attacks...

Thing is I'm still sick with asthma, migraines, and panic attacks. My asthma is controlled now BUT my migraine isn't because I have asthma and low blood pressure so the migraine meds aren't for me.

I'm wondering if medical students are supposed to be perfect healthy people since that's all I see around my school. I just want some hope that I can do it too...do med students have migraines? panic attacks...I feel like such a wimpy person :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi LuckyStar1

Sorry to hear you're feeling down.

There are a number of medical students and indeed doctors that I know who have chronic medical conditions of one sort of another. My medical school is very accommodating and for the most part will try to do everything possible to help out students including taking time out from the course. The main thing is to speak to the right person within your medical school as soon as possible so you are not alone and together you can work out a strategy for dealing with your migraines and panic attacks while continuing your career.

Hope it all works out for you

Jonathan

I'm a second year med student and I wanted to be a doctor since when i was young because doctors gave me hope when i had my asthma attacks...

Thing is I'm still sick with asthma, migraines, and panic attacks. My asthma is controlled now BUT my migraine isn't because I have asthma and low blood pressure so the migraine meds aren't for me.

I'm wondering if medical students are supposed to be perfect healthy people since that's all I see around my school. I just want some hope that I can do it too...do med students have migraines? panic attacks...I feel like such a wimpy person :(

There are people who have made it through med school and training with asthma, migraines, and even psychiatric issues such as panic attacks. However many US med schools are not always going to be as accommodating as the prior poster describes of UK schools, and many even require you to sign a form affirming that you will be able to handle the physical requirements and endurance aspects of med school up front, to ensure that they don't have to deal with these issues. By law they are required to make reasonable accommodations for various medical limitations, but what is reasonable in terms of medical education is by no means standardized, and often will be very minimal or no accommodation. While I suggest you talk to whomever your school provides for anonymous guidance/counseling, you should bear in mind that US residencies will be even less forgiving than med schools, and so if you are having difficulty making it through now, it's not really going to get easier down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear you're having such a tough time! As I'm sure you know, panic attacks often respond extremely well to therapy, so I wonder if seeking treatment for your panic might make you feel better overall, and give you the sense that you can handle the rest of med school and residency?

Thank you for replying to my message...I greatly appreciate your insights and thoughts.

Last edited:

I too have migraines, really unusually severe and frequent ones in fact. I have never even really thought about not being able to carry on or anything, I just suck it up and get on with things really. I am on a lot of meds which my neurologist is constantly changing and they make me sleepy and feel weird etc but you just have to get on with it. There are plenty of meds out there that you can take if you have asthma, the majority of migraine meds in fact. As for the low bp, mine is also crazily low and it restricts the dose I can tolerate of some things but I can still take them.

I have Tourette and have been on haldol for 19 years. And I'm still "living long and prosper." There's always hope :)

I too have migraines, really unusually severe and frequent ones in fact. I have never even really thought about not being able to carry on or anything, I just suck it up and get on with things really. I am on a lot of meds which my neurologist is constantly changing and they make me sleepy and feel weird etc but you just have to get on with it. There are plenty of meds out there that you can take if you have asthma, the majority of migraine meds in fact. As for the low bp, mine is also crazily low and it restricts the dose I can tolerate of some things but I can still take them.

thx for sharing ur strong spirit!!! my asthma and low bp is controlled but it just makes migraine meds that i can take rarer. ur right about sucking it up and keep on going. I used to do that but just grew tired after a year of still not finding the right meds w/ my neurologist. thx for ur insights :luck:

I have Tourette and have been on haldol for 19 years. And I'm still "living long and prosper." There's always hope :)

THANK YOU for sharing ur positive attitude...ur right there's always hope!!!. I have learned about tourettes today and there are so many brilliant people who have tourettes such as Dr. samuel Johnson who wrote the english dictionary and mozart. :)

I have a friend whose migraines were so severe he took a year off between second and third years of med school. He did research that year while he figured out the right meds. He then resumed m3, and is in the residency of his choice. Maybe you will need a break, but you can succeed.

Gregory House has all sorts of problems, but he is very successful. Just don't let it get you down.

Gregory House has all sorts of problems, but he is very successful. Just don't let it get you down.
What an insulting comment. This might be the most idiotic comment I've ever seen on sdn. How dare you compare a fictional tv character to a real person's trials with their illness.

I do hope you are joking.:rolleyes:

In relation to the "should medical students all be in perfect health" question I think that medical students should at least be free from health risks they cause themselves. (so don't be morbidly obese, don't smoke, don't abuse alcohol, don't take recreational drugs, etc) As for stuff like asthma and migraines as long as you can manage it so it doesn't affect your work you should be fine. It is all about risk management. You just need to realize that your migraines etc. might require a more of your free time than someone without them. Budget your time accordingly.

You can make it. At my school they are very understanding of problems that students have to deal with. There is nothing wrong with taking time off, or maybe taking a reduced load if it is allowed. Who knows, taking a breather might positively effect your health problems. you shouldn't feel weak, if anything you should feel strong for getting through first year in spite of your problems.

What an insulting comment. This might be the most idiotic comment I've ever seen on sdn. How dare you compare a fictional tv character to a real person's trials with their illness.

wow take it easy jerky. i was not trying to be insulting and yes it was a joke. i do understand the problems that med students go through and it was just to lighten the mood up a little bit.

thx for sharing ur strong spirit!!! my asthma and low bp is controlled but it just makes migraine meds that i can take rarer. ur right about sucking it up and keep on going. I used to do that but just grew tired after a year of still not finding the right meds w/ my neurologist. thx for ur insights :luck:

You grew tired after a year? 5 years down the line mine are no where near controlled! I don't know what you have tried drug-wise, probably not much if it has only been a year but like I said most migraine meds are fine with asthma.

Just keep trucking through man. I know what you mean, how it can be hard. I once last year hurt my knee and had to limp for like 3 days....not too much fun at all. So I feel your pain.:luck:

people should never be so hard on themselves. you can do it man just concentrate and leave the thought of not able to make it.