Will i get into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will i get in

• yes

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • no

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

Dagrimsta1

Current Representation of PGY-3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am currently a student at York college which is a CUNY, (City University of New York) school. My school is not very fancy and well known and isn't located in the nicest of areas but it is an accredited 4 year university. I am currently a bio major with these grades. I really just want some opinions and advice.

Bio 1: B- Bio 2: B-
Chem 1: B- Chem 2: B+
Orgo 1: A- Orgo 2: looking at an A to A- (at least)
Physics 1: Probably a C+ to at most a B Physics 2: Hopefully B or A but doubtful
Calculus 1: B+

These are my only science courses for now. I am currently a lower junior turning upper in the spring. I am planning to take biochem and physics 2 in the spring while studying for my mcats for 2015. I have done one year of research in a neurobiology lab as well as worked, valet, pharmacy as a delivery boy and in a medical office doing clerical work. I am going into organic chemistry research now which is ongoing to add to my research. Any advice tips or and opinions please?

BTW my gpa is 3.3 overall at the moment and around 3.1 science. I have never gotten a C in college yet... Also I dont know if its important but my gpa has risen every semester i was in college starting at a 3.0 to a 3.3 now, and hopefully that wont change. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is pretty low for MD schools, but DO schools will give you a shot if you do reasonably well on your MCAT. That is speaking strictly from a numbers perspective

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll just repeat what I said on the other thread.

It would be pretty tough to make it with a 3.3 unless you are planning on doing something amazing. I would be careful taking on too much extra curriculars with your grades. It is probly better to make sure you get your GPA in order, particularly your science. You can always take a year off after undergrad and do research. I had friends who got in with a 3.4, but they had a lot of volunteer work and medical experience. I would also try and study for the MCAT during the summer when you may have less going on. I think it will wind up hurting both your class grades and your MCAT score to try and study both at the same time.

There is still so much uncertainty in your future application but strictly going off your current GPA....too low for MD, cutting it close for DO

Hi everyone, I am currently a student at York college which is a CUNY, (City University of New York) school. My school is not very fancy and well known and isn't located in the nicest of areas but it is an accredited 4 year university. I am currently a bio major with these grades. I really just want some opinions and advice.

Bio 1: B- Bio 2: B-
Chem 1: B- Chem 2: B+
Orgo 1: A- Orgo 2: looking at an A to A- (at least)
Physics 1: Probably a C+ to at most a B Physics 2: Hopefully B or A but doubtful
Calculus 1: B+

These are my only science courses for now. I am currently a lower junior turning upper in the spring. I am planning to take biochem and physics 2 in the spring while studying for my mcats for 2015. I have done one year of research in a neurobiology lab as well as worked, valet, pharmacy as a delivery boy and in a medical office doing clerical work. I am going into organic chemistry research now which is ongoing to add to my research. Any advice tips or and opinions please?

BTW my gpa is 3.3 overall at the moment and around 3.1 science. I have never gotten a C in college yet... Also I dont know if its important but my gpa has risen every semester i was in college starting at a 3.0 to a 3.3 now, and hopefully that wont change. Thanks in advance.

Is this CUNY honors or CUNY? If it's regular CUNY, i will have to say No. If Honors, then slight shot (still low). One reason is because regular CUNY is easy... and really if you can't pull off all As or near all As then even if you get into med school, it will be difficult. Class average gpa is a 3.8 and most ppl went to schools much more difficult than CUNYs. There are only a few from regular CUNY... I'm sure they had very high GPAs or high mcats.

Is this CUNY honors or CUNY? If it's regular CUNY, i will have to say No. If Honors, then slight shot (still low). One reason is because regular CUNY is easy... and really if you can't pull off all As or near all As then even if you get into med school, it will be difficult. Class average gpa is a 3.8 and most ppl went to schools much more difficult than CUNYs. There are only a few from regular CUNY... I'm sure they had very high GPAs or high mcats.
I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Blatantly stating that all CUNY schools are easy is just nonsense really. Have you been to all CUNY schools? Have you taken every course with every teacher and compared them? I don't think so.
To the OP, def need to get your GPA up and get a really good score on the MCAT to be competitive for MD programs.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Blatantly stating that all CUNY schools are easy is just nonsense really. Have you been to all CUNY schools? Have you taken every course with every teacher and compared them? I don't think so.
To the OP, def need to get your GPA up and get a really good score on the MCAT to be competitive for MD programs.

Lets not get crazy over here. he didn't take extremely difficult classes. he took classes that other pre meds would have to take. CUNY is CUNY, it's a system. They are all in one city, their difficulty will reflect that. even if you dont agree, med school admissioners will assume so.

Btw, Average SAT score for York college for 2014 is 900 out of 1600. Why do they have to make their classes easier than top 25 schools? B/c if they don't too few ppl will pass... as a city college they aren't going to go around failing most of the class.. (otherwise orgo will have like 2 ppl in it)

If you want a decent chance at a MD school, your sGPA should be at least a 3.3 or above. Ideally, you want a sGPA in the 3.5+ range.

A 3.1 sGPA will make MD acceptance VERY difficult. So do whatever it takes to raise your sGPA above the 3.3 threshold, even if it means cutting back on other activities and/or taking post-bacc classes.

Also, you'll want a strong MCAT score in order to compensate for a low sGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want a decent chance at a MD school, your sGPA should be at least a 3.3 or above. Ideally, you want a sGPA in the 3.5+ range.

A 3.1 sGPA will make MD acceptance VERY difficult. So do whatever it takes to raise your sGPA above the 3.3 threshold, even if it means cutting back on other activities and/or taking post-bacc classes.

Also, you'll want a strong MCAT score in order to compensate for a low sGPA.

Agreed. You have three semesters left, you need to ace your other sciences classes and nail the mcat. Consider doing a gap year to become more competitive.

But won't medical schools only see my gpa when I submit my application in the summer of 2015? I'm positive that by the time I graduate my gpa is going to go up, but I only have one semester until I submit my application...

I'm a fan of deeds, not words, and so I concur with the other advice that as of right now, your chances for MD schools are poor, but fine for DO programs.

But won't medical schools only see my gpa when I submit my application in the summer of 2015? I'm positive that by the time I graduate my gpa is going to go up, but I only have one semester until I submit my application...

I was in a very similar situation to OP (in CUNY but the honors program). However I pretty much aced all my upper level sciences (was a bio major) and got in the 99th %ile on the MCAT. That combined with almost 1000 clinical volunteer hrs + other extracurriculars got me a few interviews. I definitely think a mediocre GPA from a < mediocre school hurt me a lot.

Last edited:
I was in a very similar situation to OP (in CUNY but the honors program). However I pretty much aced all my upper level sciences (was a bio major) and got in the 99th %ile on the MCAT. That combined with almost 1000 clinical volunteer hrs + other extracurriculars got me a few interviews. I definitely think a mediocre GPA from a < mediocre score hurt me a lot.

Did you mean a "< mediocre school"? A 99th percentile MCAT is not mediocre.

And the reason I ask is that unfortunately, if your GPA is on the low side, the name/rigor of your undergrad does come into play. If you have a 3.3 from Harvard/MIT/Johns Hopkins, it might be overlooked/forgiven. But a 3.3 from a school like CUNY may not be given as much leeway.

Did you mean a "< mediocre school"? A 99th percentile MCAT is not mediocre.

And the reason I ask is that unfortunately, if your GPA is on the low side, the name/rigor of your undergrad does come into play. If you have a 3.3 from Harvard/MIT/Johns Hopkins, it might be overlooked/forgiven. But a 3.3 from a school like CUNY may not be given as much leeway.
Ha yea I fixed it thanks. It ended up being a little higher than a 3.3 but I definitely got grilled about it on a couple of interview. Especially Downstate, the interviewer was a real prick about it.

Ha yea I fixed it thanks. It ended up being a little higher than a 3.3 but I definitely got grilled about it on a couple of interview. Especially Downstate, the interviewer was a real prick about it.

Well, good news is that you got in! That's all it matters.

Are you currently a MS1?

That is assuming you apply the following cycle. I honestly think if you are set on MD you need to apply the following cycle. Your GPA after next semester is barely going to improve even if you ace everything. Maybe consider a gap year.