Will I still get into medical school with 4 C's on my transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younme012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am having major grade issues here.. First off, I went to a very competitive undergraduate college (grade deflation issues.) and my grade trend fluctuates a lot. I would have good-ok semesters and then really one bad semester my sophomore year second semester where I would not get a single A. Then good-ok semesters, and then a really bad semester my last semester of senior year.

I have had 3 C's while I was in undergrad. 1C+ from a General Biology Lab course of 2 units when I was a sophomore. And 1 C in a Paleontology class and 1 C+ in Paleontology lab my last semester of Senior year. I was planning on applying to medical school after my senior year but after I got those two C's (I was being dumb and took 19 units that semester and overloaded myself. I also have a W from my sophomore year summer because I was getting a B in the class and I was SOOO SO dumb and withdrew. I really shouldn't have because it was a pre req and I had to retake it my last semester and I received a B-.. That's going to look really bad when I apply to med school)

Anyway, my GPA went down to a 3.4xx after that last semester. So that same summer, (I still had a chance to take classes before fully graduating) I took 11 units of summer classes, and received all A's and 1 A-, and raised it to a 3.501. My science GPA at a 3.4xx. (I use xx's because I'm not sure what the exact numbers are)

Now, I have been taking Extension classes to boost my science GPA and I have taken two classes so far. I got a B+ in one of them, and I am pretty sure I just bombed one of the other ones and will receive another C-, if lucky.

I calculated my GPA and if I take 2-3 Extension online classes (won't be indicated on transcript as an online course which is the good part,) it is possible that I can raise my GPA back to the 3.5 and my Science GPA to a 3.4 where I started at. But I will have to apply in July (I won't get my grades until then..) Also, this was an immunology course. I don't want med schools to think that I can't handle hard science.. So I am thinking about taking another immunology-related course but I won't be able to take it until this summer comes around. The only thing that I can do, is just by the time of interviews, update them with the grade that I got in this class.

The biggest problem here, is that I am not too sure if it is worth taking 2-3 Extension classes online that while I am studying for my MCAT scheduled to take in May. (with my stats... I believe I should shoot for at least a 35+)

Honestly, I am really discouraged at this point and am not even sure if I will get in with these stats. I have worked so hard and have already requested all my letter of recs to apply this Summer. I have great EC's--did research for 2 years, but no publication , I've had shadowing and volunteering for a surgical/leadership internship program for 2 years (still involved), worked as a medical assistant for 5 months (over 1000+ hours) lots of patient interaction, was an RA in dorms for 2.5 years while in undergrad, Editor in Chief of a campus journal and was involved for 4 years, did tutoring for 4 years (paid 2 years, volunteered 2 years).

I am SO discouraged right now. Honestly, I do not know what I would do if I don't get into any medical schools for this application cycle starting this summer ,2012.

Has anyone been in my shoes? Can anyone give me some good advice? I should be really worried about getting this C in my immunology course at an EXTENSION class, right? I want to go bang my head against the wall, I feel like all that I have worked for has gone to nothing now.

Please help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

BCPM GPA and overall GPA matter most. Individual course grades can be explained away especially if they are clustered in one bad semester or one bad year. The first thing you need to do is maximize your BCPM GPA by classifying gray-area classes that you didn't do well on like Paleontology as non-BCPM and classify gray-area classes you did do well on as BCPM. Put the burden on AMCAS to change it....they often won't (see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=829188). You won't get away with that for your Bio class though since it's not gray area.

Unfortunately, a downward trend does hurt so you really need to have an explanation as to why you regressed towards the end. Did you have personal issues or an illness or a bad breakup? Don't be afraid to milk something as the "reason" you didn't do well rather than just say you "were dumb for taking 19 credits." Adcoms are more forgiving of bad grades earned earlier rather than later so your downward trend is a potential red flag...you need a good alibi IMO.

FYI I got 3 C's in college and got accepted this year (first time applicant, took a year off after graduating). However my C's were in freshman and sophomore year and I had a good upward trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Short answer: yes you can. I have gotten accepted this cycle with a F, 1 D, 5 c's and 1 W. I had a to fight an uphill battle and i did an smp. Its not gonna be easy but it is definitely doable.

Reactions: 1 user
1) The biggest problem here, is that I am not too sure if it is worth taking 2-3 Extension classes online that while I am studying for my MCAT scheduled to take in May. (with my stats... I believe I should shoot for at least a 35+)

2) Can anyone give me some good advice? I should be really worried about getting this C in my immunology course at an EXTENSION class, right?
1) If you try to do both at the same time, you have the potential to sabotage your redemption efforts once again, by getting grades below an A- or by getting a lower score on the MCAT than you need.

2) Either add some DO med schools to your application list, or consider another year of GPA repair, getting straight As to establish a consistent upward grade trend, especially if you don't get a magnificent MCAT score.

BCPM GPA and overall GPA matter most. Individual course grades can be explained away especially if they are clustered in one bad semester or one bad year. The first thing you need to do is maximize your BCPM GPA by classifying gray-area classes that you didn't do well on like Paleontology as non-BCPM and classify gray-area classes you did do well on as BCPM. Put the burden on AMCAS to change it....they often won't (see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=829188). You won't get away with that for your Bio class though since it's not gray area.

Unfortunately, a downward trend does hurt so you really need to have an explanation as to why you regressed towards the end. Did you have personal issues or an illness or a bad breakup? Don't be afraid to milk something as the "reason" you didn't do well rather than just say you "were dumb for taking 19 credits." Adcoms are more forgiving of bad grades earned earlier rather than later so your downward trend is a potential red flag...you need a good alibi IMO.

FYI I got 3 C's in college and got accepted this year (first time applicant, took a year off after graduating). However my C's were in freshman and sophomore year and I had a good upward trend.
Unfortunately, I believe the paleontology class is recorded on my transcript as "Evolution of Vertebrates" or something of that sort, which I believe to be is a BCPM (Evolution, right? )

My sophomore year second semester was my first semester being an RA (19hours/week of work on top of all my classes+ EC's) and I did go through a really bad break up, but I thought "going through bad break up" excuse only sounds like an excuse? Also, I did have an embarrassing illness that semester that prevented me from going to classes but noone knows about it (I have presented to my letter writers about how I just couldn't time manage.. Is that bad?)

Also, my last semester, I really don't have any other excuse than the fact that I overloaded myself. I was going through some problems with my boyfriend, whom I am planning on getting married to, because his family wanted me to convert to their religion. But this was a relatively minor problem. (although it did keep me up for days and nights) I presented to my letter writers that I just simply overloaded myself.

So it's better to have an illness/private life excuse? Do you think I should just "milk" these excuses then?

Last edited:
Short answer: yes you can. I have gotten accepted this cycle with a F, 1 D, 5 c's and 1 W. I had a to fight an uphill battle and i did an smp. Its not gonna be easy but it is definitely doable.
Were these grades your fresh/soph year? Also, if I may ask, Which medical school did you get into?

btw, THANKS for that awesome thread. I just recalculated my sGPA without Evolutionary Medicine (which I got a B) in, Toxicology classes (B, and B+) and without the Evolution of Vertebrate Lec+Lab (C and C+) And my sGPA went from a 3.3xx -> 3.54. I mean,,, this is all under the assumption that AMCAS wouldn't change my options.. But who knows.