Will my WEAK ECs outweigh my 3.6 GPA and 39 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznchiknz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ORM male applying this summer.
cGPA: 3.59 sGPA: ~3.5 from a top 5 USNWR university
MCAT: 39 (12VR 14PS 13 BS).
IN resident

Extra-curriculars
Shadowing ~ 100 hours within several different specialties
Research ~ 1.5 years in primary lab at school (1 publication in Nature, not primary author)
1 quarter as a TA in a biology course
Several years volunteering through an organization mentoring underprivileged youths

!!!!!!
I have no leadership or clinical experience which are the primary reasons I am concerned about my application.
!!!!!!

Schools that I am currently applying are:

Indiana (Resident)
Oregon Health and Science University
Rochester
Boston
Northwestern
NYU
Albert Einstein
Rush
USC

Where else should I be considering? I know my ECs leave me in a tough spot, but what are some schools I can feel confident about getting interviews at?

P.S. My University usually writes a committee letter but I am not getting one in time for this cycle. Will this have any effect on my application?

Members don't see this ad.

At least you have shadowing, but a lack of clinical experience is bad. Maybe apply to schools that focus more on stats/research? As for the committee letter, some schools heavily prefer it and some won't care, but be prepared to explain why you don't have one.

This will hurt your chances at Northwestern and NYU, at the very least, and your high MCAT might get you screened at Rush and maybe OHSU. But having a pub in Nature is also quite nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Solid research! They may ask you why you want to be a physician > PhD though...especially since your ECs seem tailored to the PhD route besides the shadowing.

Congrats on the awesome numbers though!

If you consider taking a year off and raking in a lot of clinical hours/some leadership roles...you'll definitely increase your chances a LOT.

Good luck OP!

Your lack of clinical experience will get you rejected! I've seen posts here, and have interviewed people like you (my school doesn't pre-screen) from people with stats even better than yours, who got rejected because they haven't demonstrated that you know what you're getting into, and that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

ORM male applying this summer.
cGPA: 3.59 sGPA: ~3.5 from a top 5 USNWR university
MCAT: 39 (12VR 14PS 13 BS).
IN resident

Extra-curriculars
Shadowing ~ 100 hours within several different specialties
Research ~ 1.5 years in primary lab at school (1 publication in Nature, not primary author)
1 quarter as a TA in a biology course
Several years volunteering through an organization mentoring underprivileged youths

!!!!!!
I have no leadership or clinical experience which are the primary reasons I am concerned about my application.
!!!!!!

Schools that I am currently applying are:

Indiana (Resident)
Oregon Health and Science University
Rochester
Boston
Northwestern
NYU
Albert Einstein
Rush
USC

Where else should I be considering? I know my ECs leave me in a tough spot, but what are some schools I can feel confident about getting interviews at?

P.S. My University usually writes a committee letter but I am not getting one in time for this cycle. Will this have any effect on my application?

Reactions: 3 users
MCAT is great, GPA is good enough. Get some clinical experience and cast a broader net.

Just join a wet lab and do basic bench research for a couple months. That will literally get you past the "research requirement" at top schools.

Just join a wet lab and do basic bench research for a couple months. That will literally get you past the "research requirement" at top schools.
I think you misread OP's post. Their research is fine. Their lack of clinical experience is near lethal. OP, do you mean you are applying right now? If so I would suggest you hold off and get that clinical experience and then apply next cycle with much better odds.