Will NPs Replace GPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My experience is that only 5-20% of people are keyed into who the person walking into the room is and what their training is.

The other thing to keep in mind is how much they care. Are they going to walk out of the office or hospital. I'm not always ecstatic with the service of the guy who makes my pizza but its good enough for 2 slices/5$.

So this isn't pizza. But neither is the bill. Navigating who can pay for what with what insurance is a nightmare. So generally you just take the slop being served and keep it moving.

This is why I'm thinking on going into private practice. Those people have already voted their feet and their resources. And I'm sorry...but an NP will not be able to compete with me in that market. Those people demand skills and value.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To come at it from a different angle: Its not us competing for patients in most scenarios it us competing for jobs. No one is saying you won't have a job. But if you think competition for jobs won't effect us, you're sadly mistaken.

Coming from an RN, I do not like this approach at all. Yes, I believe NP are sufficient practitioners, but they are mid-level providers at BEST and should not replace GP. My philosophy goes, if you want to be considered a real competent practitioner, go to medical school and understand the "Medical" model.

Reactions: 1 user
Coming from a patient viewpoint only - I don't usually ask my GP to do much (besides prescribe me antibiotics, etc). so I wouldn't mind if an NP did the same. Where I live now, a lot of GPs are hard to get in touch with (outside of urgent care centers), so I'll gladly take any PA or NP who has time for me. Also, when I was in the emergency room, a PA helped me and did a perfectly good job.

I'd be far more particular with someone who is performing a specialized procedure/surgery/etc. Obviously NPs/PAs won't replace surgeons any time soon, but you get my point.