Will Only Non-Regionally Accredited MFT Program Be a Bad Idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In my case (please skim bkgrnd info), would a non-regionally accredited MFT program be a bad idea?

• Total voters
Well, unlicensed individuals can do anything they want as long they aren't "practicing psychology." How do you think Dr. Phil does what he does? And, "practicing psychology" without a license is only a punishable crime in some states and not others. So, with no license and no direct harm, what can you do? This is how life coaching exists.

I read an article in NY times magazine last year about some yuppies in manhattan, one a 22 or 23 year old struggling actresses with interest in "harnessing energy" who was "life coaching" Wall Street traders and other upscale professionals. She was charging $250/hour. I mean, how do you counter that kind of lack of practice ethics in people? It's sickening that people would take that amount of money from people for a proverbial sugar pill at best, and at worst, and more likely, a service that is harmful/creates dependency and is served under false pretenses. I think that takes a certain lack of conscience on the part of the providers.

Yeah, that was essentially my point. I find the entire concept of life coaching to be absurd and dangerous. Except it's more frustrating that the OP may be doing this under a license, which I think is misleading to her future clients because it gives her credibility (for clients looking for someone who is not a life coach, for example). However, her working under a license will make it more likely she faces punishment if there is a violation. So I can live with that.

Members don't see this ad.