Will there be a need for humans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brisbrain2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Please forgive me, I'm a pre-medical student but I'm heavily invested in the speciality of neurosurgery.

I was wondering if, in the 14 years it will take me to complete my education and training, neurosurgery would still be performed by humans? Even so, I'd assume it would be gradually taken over by intelligent machines until gradually there is no need for a human being in the mix.

Maybe I'm being incredibly naive, but I'd hate to have accrued huge debts financially only to have no job at the end (or, after several years, being made redundant).

I understand I 'will likely go into something else' but I'd still like to hear thoughts regarding going into neurosurgery as technology and artificial intelligence really starts to become more evolved.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Please forgive me, I'm a pre-medical student but I'm heavily invested in the speciality of neurosurgery.

I was wondering if, in the 14 years it will take me to complete my education and training, neurosurgery would still be performed by humans? Even so, I'd assume it would be gradually taken over by intelligent machines until gradually there is no need for a human being in the mix.

Maybe I'm being incredibly naive, but I'd hate to have accrued huge debts financially only to have no job at the end (or, after several years, being made redundant).

I understand I 'will likely go into something else' but I'd still like to hear thoughts regarding going into neurosurgery as technology and artificial intelligence really starts to become more evolved.

Thanks

As well all know, neurosurgeons, by practicing surgery on the nervous system, have mastered the ability to predict the future.

We also know that medical students, by practicing biochemistry ad nauseam, have mastered the ability to give sarcastic answers to stupid questions.

And a person like you? Neurosurgery is far below your prestige and pay grade. You need to get into Retrodermoneuroendoscopic minimally invasive plastic surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
As well all know, neurosurgeons, by practicing surgery on the nervous system, have mastered the ability to predict the future.

We also know that medical students, by practicing biochemistry ad nauseam, have mastered the ability to give sarcastic answers to stupid questions.

And a person like you? Neurosurgery is far below your prestige and pay grade. You need to get into Retrodermoneuroendoscopic minimally invasive plastic surgery.
Wow. That first reply was surprisingly obnoxious.

I'm asking a neurosurgeon, buddy. Someone who is aware of the ins and outs of the neurosurgical field and could perhaps extrapolate given current trends in technology and surgery.

I wasn't asking for a totally unnecessary post reeking of extreme arrogance and condescension from a medical student (i.e not someone I was begging the question to).

Please, kindly, **** off.

We haven't even gotten to the point where automated driving is pushed out to the masses. What makes you think surgery of any type will be replaced by robots soon?

In regards to the responses above, you get what you give.... Stupid questions get stupid answers.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Thanks
I would worry about getting into medical school first. Then asking dumb questions. Then getting mad at dumb answers. Natural progression of things. Yes technology is advancing. Robotic surgery is still controlled by humans at a control station. In the next two decades, SkyNet may go online, but chances are human will still be doing surgeries, including retrodermoneuroendoscopic plastic surgery.

I think it's a legitimate question.

Technology is advancing at a pretty incredible rate, and obviously at some point surgeons *will* be replaced by robots, but you'd probably be better off asking a programmer this kind of question because it's hard to say, exactly.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. By the time surgeons are replaced by robots, many other jobs will also be replaced, and the problem of machine vs. human will be not endemic to medicine--it will be a societal problem.

Hi,

Thanks

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question. Let me just say, this was a higly entertaining question. Firstly, because you are a premed (14 years of training makes you...a sophomore in college?) who thinks he is already "heavily invested" in neurosurgery. You're not, I'm sorry. Secondly, because I wonder what you are smoking.

As a neurosurgical resident, I can assure you that robots will NOT replace human surgeons in the next 14 years. There are NO neurosurgical procedures for which robots are indicated, making our replacement by terminatorsurgeons highly unlikely--even over the next century.

As others have said, focus on getting into med school, passing, getting into residency, and finishing residency. And stop smoking whatever it is you are smoking.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. That first reply was surprisingly obnoxious.

I'm asking a neurosurgeon, buddy. Someone who is aware of the ins and outs of the neurosurgical field and could perhaps extrapolate given current trends in technology and surgery.

I wasn't asking for a totally unnecessary post reeking of extreme arrogance and condescension from a medical student (i.e not someone I was begging the question to).

Please, kindly, **** off.

Easy on the attitude yourself.

You actually learn a lot about the practice of medicine in medical school, and can answer questions like this. Sure, the specifics of patient management are often beyond a medical students' knowledge base, but medical students certainly know more about this than you do, and it isn't below you to hear from someone who isn't a neurosurgeon. If you make it seem like they are, it may come across as arrogance and condescension from a premedical student.

You guys are all extremely rude for no reason. Hiding behind a computer screen. Low lives.

The OP is asking a question, whether you think it's stupid or not, it's a question that doesn't deserve rude answers.

Your whole response to him was of arrogance.

You guys are all extremely rude for no reason. Hiding behind a computer screen. Low lives.

The OP is asking a question, whether you think it's stupid or not, it's a question that doesn't deserve rude answers.

Aren't you just the role model for us all.

What is the minimum Step I score for this specialty? I'm just starting high school, so I thought i should start studying lol

There's no minimum, but you have to have a 230 be stand a reasonable chance. A 240 gives you a good chance.... of matching somewhere.

And you have to factor that a step score isn't the only thing looked at in Neurosurgery... they will look at you as a complete applicant... and see what you'll offer as a person. Do you have research experience, have you shown a desire, how are your letter of recommendation? and how did you perform during sub-internships.... so it's a lot more than just a step 1 cut-off.

And by the way, go study for your high school courses.... by the time you have to worry about step, it may not even exist anymore.

Last edited:
Brisbrain, I think it's cool that you have aspired to such a specific goal this early on in your life.

I've been told by some of my non-medical friends that my job could easily be replaced by a computer (I'm training to be a radiation oncologist which obviously is a lot more replaceable than a neurosurgeon- why I'm reading and posting on this thread therefore is not clear).

My response is always this: there has to be a human face who understands the disease and the treatment to talk with the patient and come to a conclusion about what they want done. A computer will never be able to adequately replace the human proxy for such an emotionally troubling time in a patient's life. So even 50 years from now when computers have mastered the art of medicine, patients will still want to talk to a person, who will probably be a doctor.

Keep working hard; sometimes imagining yourself where you want to be in a decade will help keep you motivated.

While silly I think think this a interesting question, even if it has more to do with robotics then medicine. Look, doctors, especially surgeons will be among the last professions to be replaced by robots. (This is assuming you are not including robot aided surgery like the divinchi system) A robot simply can not have the bedside manner and reassuring qualities of a surgeon and would not be able to adapt to problems that may come up.