Wish list / Suggestions for VMCAS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovinchance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN community,

I'm fairly new to this place but I've found some great info on here and I wanted to return the favor. I'm currently testing out the VMCAS application for 2013 that has not come out yet and they want feedback on functional issues, problems with the application, and any suggestions or "wish list" items.

For those of you who have applied before, were there any functions you wish the website had? Basically, if you could make a wish list of things you'd like to see on the website, what would they be?

I don't believe I'm breaking any rules by opening this question out to the public so I thought I'd ask and get the maximum amount of feedback from the people who know the application the best = SDNers! :D
Of course, if I am, or anyone feels I am, I will promptly stop.

Reply with your issues/suggestions and I'll forward them on so we can have all the benefits of an easier website for applications!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The ability to send your transcripts to have them verified once would be awesome. I think I spent a bucketload of money sending 4 transcripts to 15 schools (I can't imagine the cost for people having more transcripts). The med school application does this, and I think it would be a huge plus. Basically, you send one copy of your transcripts to the application service (VMCAS), they verify that the grades you put in the application are correct, and then you don't have to send any more transcripts to the individual schools.

I got that too... haven't filled it out yet though :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also doing this! I haven't found any function issues, but one thing I thought would be on the app was cumulative GPA instead of primary GPA. Do you just put cum GPA in explanation section (if you want)?

Hey Guys,

Well, well,we're back again for another season of VMCAS. First and foremost, no one is breaking any rules by having this discussion, we here at VMCAS encourage such discussions.

So, the testing is now open (if you want to sign up.. just email [email protected], and we'll be sure to send you the instructions) and going very well so far. Keep in mind the testing only lasts until Friday, April 27th at 5:00pm.

Thanks for your comments, which I'd like to address:

TRANSCRIPTS: We are looking into having transcripts sent to VMCAS in the very near future, regretfully, not this cycle, but possibly VMCAS 2014!

GPA: YES! You can certainly put your CUM GPA in the explanation statement!

Keep the feedback flowing!! We look forward to working with all of you this cycle!

Your VMCAS Staff

We've been talking about this one for years - are they EVER going to save our coursework/grades so I don't have to re-enter it every freaking cycle?

Hey Guys,

Well, well,we're back again for another season of VMCAS. First and foremost, no one is breaking any rules by having this discussion, we here at VMCAS encourage such discussions.

So, the testing is now open (if you want to sign up.. just email [email protected], and we'll be sure to send you the instructions) and going very well so far. Keep in mind the testing only lasts until Friday, April 27th at 5:00pm.

Thanks for your comments, which I'd like to address:

TRANSCRIPTS: We are looking into having transcripts sent to VMCAS in the very near future, regretfully, not this cycle, but possibly VMCAS 2014!

GPA: YES! You can certainly put your CUM GPA in the explanation statement!

Keep the feedback flowing!! We look forward to working with all of you this cycle!

Your VMCAS Staff

Thanks for the information! Glad to see that VMCAS is open to feedback.

I'm also participating! I filled out a little of the test VMCAS, but the rest will have to wait until this weekend or sometime next week (before Friday of course!). It's a bad time for me with finals approaching!

The transcript thing would be nice, but some schools require fall transcripts, so we would probably still have to mail out some. I would also like to see the VMCAS save information from previous applications such as grades and experiences.

I personally would like to see research experience in a separate category from veterinary experience.

Here's my favorite line from the e-mail: ".Put on your creative hat---during the testing process, aim to “BREAK” the system." .I was going to take the test VMCAS seriously as practice, but it would be fun to try to "break" it instead. I have my VMCAS from last year saved for entering stuff this year. My boyfriend is a computer science major, so I may just have him help me think of ways to try and break the system. Anyone have any ideas of their own? I'm sure there are very few bugs in the system if any.

Here's my favorite line from the e-mail: ".Put on your creative hat---during the testing process, aim to “BREAK” the system." .I was going to take the test VMCAS seriously as practice, but it would be fun to try to "break" it instead. I have my VMCAS from last year saved for entering stuff this year. My boyfriend is a computer science major, so I may just have him help me think of ways to try and break the system. Anyone have any ideas of their own? I'm sure there are very few bugs in the system if any.

This plan is so deliciously evil. I love it.

I'm sure there are very few bugs in the system if any.

Heh. I worked in systems engineering for about 15 years. I'm sure that there are a multitude of bugs in it. The question isn't whether they exist, it's whether they matter.

I'll be curious to hear if VMCAS finally got around to letting people save their coursework from year to year. It's one of the common requests year after year, and yet they keep not doing it.

Why can't we input classes in units? Credit hours are weird... how does that work with a lab?

Like any system, VMCAS does have its bugs, and you're right.. the question really is whether these bugs actually matter. But I definitely do encourage you to "break" the system! Bring it on!! :)

To answer the age old question about coursework being rolled over. Yes, VMCAS will be bringing repeat applicant data to save you from having to re-enter your coursework year after year. The HUGE question is, "When?" ! The VMCAS platform as it is doesn't allow us to include this feature right now. All I can say is that it's a function of the system that we want as much as you do, and it is on the top of our list for the new platform when we roll it out! I'm just not sure when we're actually going to do it yet. :)

If you are on the Dean's List/Honor Roll several semesters, do you list each semester separate under Honors/Awards?

If you are on the Dean's List/Honor Roll several semesters, do you list each semester separate under Honors/Awards?

With almost every single one of those types of questions, there's a technically correct answer that you can get if you dig hard enough, or you can just use your best judgment and fill it out in the way that you think makes the most sense. People get really bent out shape trying to make sure they don't accidentally put something in the "wrong" category, when in reality as long as it's a reasonable choice, the school(s) will just put it in the right place and move on with life and not hold it against you if they feel like it ought to be in a different spot.

If it were me, I'd put them all into one entry just to keep it neat and avoid the impression that you're trying to puff out your app with lots of entries. I just went to see what I did on my app, and it looks like I actually forgot to include dean's list and whatnot. Oops.

If you're going to lose sleep wondering if you did it right, then the best thing to do is call VMCAS. At least a few years ago when I was applying the people they had answering their phones were extremely polite, and had solid answers for my questions. For all my grousing about how absurdly slow they are to move forward with the one single feature request people make year after year; their phone support is absolutely top notch.

To answer the age old question about coursework being rolled over. Yes, VMCAS will be bringing repeat applicant data to save you from having to re-enter your coursework year after year.

This would be huge. It would be even MORE amazing if it would save your entire application (and then allow you to edit it and add new things, of course). Most applicants have to apply more than once and the majority of someone's application stays the same year to year, so that would save tons of time and frustration! I am very glad that I got in this year (2nd attempt) for a number of reasons, but one of those reasons is definitely because I won't have to fill out a VMCAS app ever again!! :laugh: