With my numbers can I get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CIDMD11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*****Posted this in another section but I would like to know my chances of getting into either DO or MD and where I should be applying?*********

Hello everyone. I am a non-traditional applicant who would appreciate some advice. My goal is to become a doctor and I am willing to do whatever it takes to achieve this goal.

Honestly, I would love to go to the best school possible and one day have my choice of specialities. Realistically, I am not sure if I have the numbers for this.

My stats are below and I am wondering is if with my current numbers do I stand a shot at MD or DO? And if so what schools should I be applying to? I plan on applying to all of the Florida schools but I am aware that I will have to apply all over the place to get one acceptance.

State of residency: Florida
Bachelors Degree: Engineering 07
Bachelors GPA: 3.0
Masters: Medical Sciences 09
Masters GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 28 - wish it was higher but it is what it is
Current Profession: I work in the business side of the medical field
EC's: Lots of shadowing and volunteering

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

You're GPA is too low for MD programs (unless you retook the MCAT for a mid 30's but even then who knows) but I think you have a shot at DO programs. Apply early and broadly, play up your experience in the medical field and how that offers a unique perspective and I think you have a solid chance. Good luck! I am a non-trad myself who comes from a similar background (engineering/physics) so it's certainly worth a shot.

*****Posted this in another section but I would like to know my chances of getting into either DO or MD and where I should be applying?*********

Hello everyone. I am a non-traditional applicant who would appreciate some advice. My goal is to become a doctor and I am willing to do whatever it takes to achieve this goal.

Honestly, I would love to go to the best school possible and one day have my choice of specialities. Realistically, I am not sure if I have the numbers for this.

My stats are below and I am wondering is if with my current numbers do I stand a shot at MD or DO? And if so what schools should I be applying to? I plan on applying to all of the Florida schools but I am aware that I will have to apply all over the place to get one acceptance.

State of residency: Florida
Bachelors Degree: Engineering 07
Bachelors GPA: 3.0
Masters: Medical Sciences 09
Masters GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 28 - wish it was higher but it is what it is
Current Profession: I work in the business side of the medical field
EC's: Lots of shadowing and volunteering

Thanks for your help.

Was the masters a post-bac program? Or was it basic research?

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a masters designed to help students get into medical school. It was 33hrs and only 3 hrs were research.

I think ou have a good chance of admissions with doing a post bac/masters. The strong GPA for the MS shows that you can take rigorous science courses and deal with them well. The MCAT is decent but won't get you into top and some mid level allopathic schools. Thoughts on retaking for a higher score?

Im open to retaking it. Honestly I doubt that I can get into MD but I was hoping that I have a shot at DO

The master's GPA seems a bit low for MD, and the low MCAT makes MD even harder. Q's MCAT thread speaks to how adcoms view these numbers pretty well. You might have a good shot at DO programs, though!

What were your scores on AAMC practice tests? Retaking the MCAT and breaking into the 30s would do wonders.

Just noticed your master's was in 2009. Being out of academia for 4 years may be concerning, especially since your undergrad GPA is a bit of a hurdle. Have you taken any classes recently?

Last edited:
No recently I have been working on the business side of the medical field. My position requires management of several key components of the company I work for, lots of travel, and it has also given me plenty of exposure to the clinical setting.

My practice test were mostly around a 28 but I had a few break the 30's.