Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about being accepted to dental school, and how withdrawing from a Master's degree program would affect this. I know it may vary by school, but I am just looking for a general answer. In the event I am accepted to dental school this year, is it bad if I then decide I do not want to continue with the Master's program, especially if the coursework is totally unrelated in every way to dentistry or medical science?

The work I do as a TA has been very good for my personal development, but reading two full novels a week and having a comprehensive exam to graduate is weighing down on me hard. I don't make much money in this work, and I don't particularly enjoy reading this number of books on such a variety of topics. The thing is, on my application I talked about the working role and how good it has been for me. I truly do enjoy the teaching, but at this point, I want to do anything other than be a student before the next 4 years in dental school.

Any advice? Should I email schools, and if so, should I use a burner email? I don't want to email admissions and have them throw away my application because they'll believe I'll burn out of dental school.

You answered your own question—it’ll vary by school, and if they care about your masters they will mention something in their acceptance letter that it is “contingent on xyz.” Regardless if you’re accepted I would ask them directly that it’s ok before you actually withdraw

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about being accepted to dental school, and how withdrawing from a Master's degree program would affect this. I know it may vary by school, but I am just looking for a general answer. In the event I am accepted to dental school this year, is it bad if I then decide I do not want to continue with the Master's program, especially if the coursework is totally unrelated in every way to dentistry or medical science?

The work I do as a TA has been very good for my personal development, but reading two full novels a week and having a comprehensive exam to graduate is weighing down on me hard. I don't make much money in this work, and I don't particularly enjoy reading this number of books on such a variety of topics. The thing is, on my application I talked about the working role and how good it has been for me. I truly do enjoy the teaching, but at this point, I want to do anything other than be a student before the next 4 years in dental school.

Any advice? Should I email schools, and if so, should I use a burner email? I don't want to email admissions and have them throw away my application because they'll believe I'll burn out of dental school.

Most dental schools don't care very much if you withdraw post-acceptance. Of course, you may want to check with the specific school.

Status
Not open for further replies.