This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

predental.Em

Reaction score
Hi! I want to apply to dental school next cycle but I dropped out of nursing school and I have 10 w’s. I’m getting worried that my first year won’t allow me to be looked at further by dental schools. In that time I went to dental assisting school and realized how much I love it and want to continue in my dental career. I know I messed up (my mom and brother in law past away in that time). I don’t want to make excuses so I’ve been determined from here on out i will exceed in my classes and do well on the DAT. Is there a chance I should even still be pursuing dentistry with that many W’s? My Stats are GPA 3.5 DAT 20 plus I’m currently working with an Oral surgeon who has written a strong LOR and my hours are unbeatable. What will help me get in? Should I do a post bacc masters to help me or just go for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know if schools have cutoffs for how many withdrawals you can have have or if that is a major factor for automatic rejections, but I’d imagine they’d at least want to see/hear why you had so many. I think they would just be concerned you wouldn’t be able to handle the rigors of dental school when put under a stressful situation. But if you can show them you’ve done well, either in the last years of your undergrad courses or do a masters/smp and have done well there then you most likely have a chance. Hopefully others can give better input. Goodluck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,
I have a lot of W's on my transcript. I had no passions or motivations right after high school so dropped out after my first two college semesters, worked for a bit before discovering my passion for dentistry (coincidentally, also in a dental assisting cert program!). Finishing out my undergrad now and it's been going great.
I have had three interview invites so far.
Just be prepared to explain your situation (you don't need to go into excruciating detail), have experiences that show your newfound dedication to the field and prove that you aren't going to just drop dental. Tell them how you've grown and learned from this experience.
Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.