Withdrew but I am regretting my decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted642188

Hello Everyone,

I recently Withdrew my application for the army's hpsp. While I was really interested in the offer, I initially felt that the commitment would be too long for me. Hence, I decided to withdraw a few days before my recruiter could finalize my application for review.

I pro'ed and conned the hpsp for my reasons:

Pro:
Good money
I am impressed with the residency I know army has good ortho and trauma residencies. The navy has good general and ortho.
The opportunity to serve my country

Con:
I am aware of the length of commitment
I believe that I will be spending my last two years of clinical rotations at military bases.
No personal life
Most likely Greater commitment time because I am strongly interested in surgical residencies and fellowships

Honestly, I am contemplating on reapplying to another branch or starting anew with the another army recruiter for a three year scholarship because Tuition for my school was due within a week. I would like your thoughts on this subjects.

I would add that I have ugpa 3.84 and a 31 (11/9/11) on my MCAT. Would I be a guaranteed acceptance for the navy and air force? Also would I have to do meps again?

Thoughts would be best appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be OK. The 3yr scholarship is all the obligation with 25% less money, so if money is the #1 pro, I'd pass.

#2 and #3 on your pro list are true of the civilian world too.

As for #4, if you decide later that you want to join, direct accession and FAP are other paths in. The Army will still be there.

It's not like the army won't take you later.....make sure you are certain

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is just that my biggest qualm about the scholarship is that if I were to do this the length of time of would significant.

At least 8 years of residency and payback time is what concerns me the most, because it is there prime of my life too.

My other concern is that if I do this, would I HAve to spend more time with fellowships to find a job at where I would like to settle down.

You have too many concerns, and your primary Pro is the money during school and residency. Don't do it. Military surgical training isn't all that amazing, even/particularly trauma.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree that money isn't a good reason, you' can get great ortho, trauma, or general surgery experience outside of the military. Better, frankly. It's not that the military has the best of anything. Some of their residencies are competitively good, but they're not the best. If you want to serve your country vote. Or do some pro bono work. Or volunteer at the USO. Or run for office. There are a lot of ways to serve your country that are more effective and more efficient than being a military physician. If you really, really, really want to be a military officer and also kind of a doctor, then maybe the military is the best option for you.

I think you have a rational list of cons, and not many pros.

I made the exact same decision you did (2+ years ago) for similar reasons and I'm glad I did. If you're not 100% sold on the military route right now it's ok, they're always looking for good doctors wanting to serve our country and you can always join later or in residency...I'm a MS3 right now and I still have no idea what I want to do and going the civilian route leaves more options open and more opportunities for better residency training (in case you don't land one of the major military hospitals with solid residency training)...focus on medical school first and if you still want to do military medicine later it'll still be there for you and DO NOT let a major determining factor be the scholarship money right now...keep your options open and focus first on being the type of MD you want to be THEN if you still want to do military medicine you can join...that's my opinion

Life can quickly change in 8-10 years. I went from not even pondering the thought of a family entering med school, to bring married with two children by the end of internship.

Options are nice to have...the military limits your options. If you aren't 100% sold on the military...don't do it. If money if your biggest pro for joining...don't do it. This isn't something you decide by making a pro-con list. Your 100% in or your 100% out.

Life can quickly change in 8-10 years. I went from not even pondering the thought of a family entering med school, to bring married with two children by the end of internship.

Options are nice to have...the military limits your options. If you aren't 100% sold on the military...don't do it. If money if your biggest pro for joining...don't do it. This isn't something you decide by making a pro-con list. Your 100% in or your 100% out.
Like the mafia, but with fewer benefits.

Like the mafia, but with fewer benefits.

I'd image that being a mafia doc could be very lucrative with great benefits in some parts of the country. Some may even have scholarship programs...though I'd imagine that the family wouldn't appreciate you going into Derm, Radiology, or Pathology.

Well I read through everyone's advice and it its clear that I shouldn't do ut. I feel bad because I wish I could serve, but I realize that at the end of the day the hpsp is a privilege and to not be 100% in means that I will be doing a disservice to the armed forces. It is... as... it is... thank all y'all kindly for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd image that being a mafia doc could be very lucrative with great benefits in some parts of the country. Some may even have scholarship programs...though I'd imagine that the family wouldn't appreciate you going into Derm, Radiology, or Pathology.

Mafia... Pathology....
I see what you did there....

Well I read through everyone's advice and it its clear that I shouldn't do ut. I feel bad because I wish I could serve, but I realize that at the end of the day the hpsp is a privilege and to not be 100% in means that I will be doing a disservice to the armed forces. It is... as... it is... thank all y'all kindly for the advice.

If you regret not doing it...go FAP.

Does anyone else think of this when FAP is discussed....
upload_2016-7-25_14-55-5.png

Reactions: 4 users
It is just that my biggest qualm about the scholarship is that if I were to do this the length of time of would significant.

At least 8 years of residency and payback time is what concerns me the most, because it is there prime of my life too.
Once Hillary sends us into some godforsaken quagmire that lasts eight years, you'll be thrilled to have some debt rather than being irregularly forced to play in a sweltering, dangerous sandbox for months on end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
One Hillary sends us into some godforsaken quagmire that lasts eight years, you'll be thrilled to have some debt rather than being irregularly forced to play in a sweltering, dangerous sandbox for months on end.
God I hope Crooked Hillary doesn't win.

But yeah no matter who wins, these are tenuous times. ISIS/radical muslims are crazy. I think it's more likely than not that we have a full scale war with ISIS/radical Islam within the next 10 years.

Reactions: 3 users