Withdrew during MS1. Reapplication questions/concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LO281OK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I withdrew, in good standing, from a top 50 med school during MS1 to work on problems with our marriage. It's over now and I'm ready to get back to school.

1st App Cycle: I got into 3 schools and withdrew other apps to Columbia, Emory, WashU (dreaming) & USUHS. I chose the school at which I matriculated in consideration of my former spouse. I would have rather gone to any of 3 of the other schools to which I applied (am considering again) that were in preferred settings.

1st Question: Should I apply Early Decision to one of my top choices if it is one of the schools I was accepted to the first time around? I would be 99.9% happy with going there.

2nd Question: Would it be a mistake to not apply to the school I left? Could there be a chance that they are the only school that would accept me again.

Can't think of anything else right now. Thanks for any insight you might have.

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew, in good standing, from a top 50 med school during MS1 to work on problems with our marriage. It's over now and I'm ready to get back to school.

1st App Cycle: I got into 3 schools and withdrew other apps to Columbia, Emory, WashU (dreaming) & USUHS. I chose the school at which I matriculated in consideration of my former spouse. I would have rather gone to any of 3 of the other schools to which I applied (am considering again) that were in preferred settings.

1st Question: Should I apply Early Decision to one of my top choices if it is one of the schools I was accepted to the first time around? I would be 99.9% happy with going there.

2nd Question: Would it be a mistake to not apply to the school I left? Could there be a chance that they are the only school that would accept me again.

Can't think of anything else right now. Thanks for any insight you might have.

Why didn't you apply for leave!? For a problem as serious as yours, you would have probably been granted it. This would have saved you all of this trouble. It's over now though, so here we go.

1. If you want, but be prepared to get rejected quickly because they already accepted you once and you told them no.

2. You might as well. The chance is slim-->none that you will get accepted after matriculating and leaving, but if you are able to explain it, why not.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I wish you luck!

I withdrew, in good standing, from a top 50 med school during MS1 to work on problems with our marriage. It's over now and I'm ready to get back to school...
I would first talk to your original school. They may be able to do some sort of "retrospective leave" arrangement or take you again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would first talk to your original school. They may be able to do some sort of "retrospective leave" arrangement or take you again.
Agree.

OP, you withdrew in good standing, so your first move should definitely be to talk to your original school about returning before you try starting all over from scratch. This is especially true if you will get credit for the semesters/blocks of med school that you've already completed. If your former school will let you back in, my advice is to go back there. Don't worry too much about the "setting," because you'll be busy enough after first year that about the only place you'll ever see during your waking hours is the hospital and/or the library anyway. ;) Best of :luck: to you. :)

That's the rub. They said I could either withdraw and have to apply again "from scratch" or have the school remove me from their books when the limited leave time passed (which sounded worse to me knowing that everything would not be settled by then).

My state schools (SC) are less vindictive than bcat85 would purport them to be. I doubt that they have put me on some sort of blacklist because I chose another school after being accepted by them. I think if I talk to them and explain the reasons for withdrawal, support it with evidence of my good standing at the time, reveal the factors that led me to choose the other school (which have now changed), then they will be receptive toward my reapplication.

First and foremost I intend to, in essence, get the admissions directors' "permission" to apply in the upcoming cycle. This way I have someone already on my side when the process starts. It will also help to get an idea of exactly what they will need to hear from me (what they need me to discuss in my per stmt, supporting documentation they might want, etc.) to help cover all the bases and avoid any hole in the application. I also have two strong recommendations from instructors during the time I spent as an MS1.

Please don't read this as if I am only looking for support without constructive assistance. I mentioned everything above because I think it is relevant to helping you understand the full scope of the issue, not to counter anyone's arguments. There was no way for me to write every detail in the first post (like the fact I was told I have to reapply to the original school). I will surely reapply to my first school, but knowing that I have to go through the full process again I think you would agree that it is only prudent to try to gain admission to other schools at which I have a good chance of doing so.

Thanks for the thoughts. Keep 'em coming. :thumbup:

How long ago did you WD?

I would agree that your best shot is to contact your old school first.
Some other schools will probably hold it against you that you had to WD.

How long ago did you WD?

I withdrew officially in October '07, while on leave. I would have been required to start again with the new MS1s in February '08 and that was not possible. I also did not know if I would be able to start this coming summer, so I chose not to initiate the re-application process when I withdrew last fall. I started work on an MBA in January to fill the time and make progress toward something useful. I will graduate in May 2009.

BTW - by setting earlier I meant more than the local surroundings. I was mostly talking about the character & community of the med schools. Sorry, I should have been more specific, but I was trying to avoid revealing specifics. Just fyi.

When were you in school, Fall 2006?
I would guess places would hold it against you more the longer you were out.
I'd also find it strange that you were pursuing another degree instead of reapplying to med school.

Anyway, talk to your old school first and then take it from there.
Good luck.

When were you in school, Fall 2006?
I would guess places would hold it against you more the longer you were out.
I'd also find it strange that you were pursuing another degree instead of reapplying to med school.

Anyway, talk to your old school first and then take it from there.
Good luck.

I was in Fall 06 and most of spring 07. As for the degree I thought it better to pursue it than to get a go-nowhere job that would have me treading while waiting to start med school again. I was interested in the MD/MBA route, as well. Thanks for the well wishes.

I would go talk to your old school. Specifically, make an appointment with the Dean. If you can even get a letter stating your circumstances for withdrawal from the Dean and that you were absolutely not in poor standing and the withdrawal was for personal issues which required more time than the standard leave policy allowed (even better if the letter states that you would absolutely be considered for admission again upon reapplication), such a letter could go far.

Make an appointment with the schools you are most interested in and talk to the admissions dean there. It would be pointless to apply if they absolutely won't consider you.

They may require copies of your transcript for the courses you had completed just to prove you didn't fail out. Be ready for this.

Your situation is rather unique and I think out of the scope of most folks' experiences here. You would be far better off calling some admissions deans and getting some really solid information straight from them.

Thanks for the advice ShyRem. The letter from the dean will help. You're right I just need to start calling the deans of admisison.