Women Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alaskan _Polarbear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the outfit below is appropriate for interviews. I really love the floral skirt and think it's appropriate as long as i keep everything else simple (hence black shirt and shoes and matching navy blazer). Please feel free to tell me I'm completely wrong and that the skirt is a terrible choice or that it's fine as long as everything else is simple.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 10.11.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 10.11.52 PM.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 10.11.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 10.11.47 PM.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 10.11.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 10.11.42 PM.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 10.10.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 10.10.53 PM.png
    172.6 KB · Views: 98
I feel like it'll be okay? A little difficult to say without seeing the entire outfit put together. Personally, I always felt more comfortable "showing my personality" through a patterned blouse that went underneath a blazer. The skirt covers a bit more area and could be seen as distracting, but at the end of the day, it's down to your own personal judgement. If you think it looks appropriate and you're comfortable in it, then go for it.

I personally would do a white or light colored blouse so everything doesn't seem too dark, but that's just my opinion!

Members don't see this ad :)
This reminds me of a question posted here a few years ago where someone asked what was appropriate to wear to an interview and I suggested a two piece swim suit.

I was totally joking but I got roasted and almost banned for it.

Your selection seems appropriate.

This reminds me of a question posted here a few years ago where someone asked what was appropriate to wear to an interview and I suggested a two piece swim suit.

I was totally joking but I got roasted and almost banned for it.

Your selection seems appropriate.

I love it. A predictable response from the male species. Interestingly. I wonder if the original post is directed at women's opinions? I would find it hard to believe that a man could offer fashion advice, but I'm sure some could.
But to get back to the OP. Should a person in an interview dress in a fashion that is different, shows their personality and is sure to leave an impression. Possibly risky, but high rewards. Or dress in a fashion that will be accepted by the vast majority (in other words .... bland, fit in with everyone else, but professional)?
Other variables. Where is the interview? New York City or Hawaii? Probably going to dress a little differently for the different areas. How is the weather? Cold. Hot. Humid. Raining.
Sorry OP. Not an answer. Just food for thought.
Good luck on your interviews.

Not nice!
Are you going to the beach with that skirt?

I think that’ll be totally fine but I agree with someone above that a light shirt would be better! I wouldn’t wear black with navy

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

sleeveless is typically seen as less professional. I'm not making a judgement either way, just stating a fact.

Also, last weekend at an interview, 20 women all had flats and 1 wore heels. I don't think anyone cared, but considering we were walking all over on tours, it seemed pretty inconvenient.

I love the outfit but I personally would go for matching suit pieces (so that they are the same shade and same material) and go for a floral shirt instead. This way you will stand out but will still be dressed professionally. The flats are perfect. I wore a 1-inch box heel with a pointed toe in my interviews and my feet didn't hurt.

Reactions: 1 users
If kim kardashian wears it, don’t wear it to interview.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user