Women urologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pugsly

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why are there so few women in this field??? is it not a good idea for a female to pursue this field??? do women urologists not get as many patients as a male urologist???? do women have a tough time getting through this residency????

Members don't see this ad.

Men would generally like to be treated by men, especially in relation to issues involving incontinence and impotence. This is not to mention prostate-related examinations and consultations.

Women would probably have an easier time in gaining interviews and possibly a residency, because of the illogical need for "equality" in every field.

It takes a certain personality to enter this field and as long as women fit the mold, it should not be an issue.

I ran into a surprisingly large number of women on the interview trail this year. I think it must be getting more popular with them. Hey, many women would prefer a female OBGYN, but often when they end up going to a male they have no complaints. Same way with the urologist I'm sure. Just change your name to something gender neutral to get them through the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a male and I disagree. If I had to, for example, get circumcised I would would much prefer a woman urologist to circumcise me than some male doc.

Impotence might be another issue

Some women would rather deal with men than women for any number of reasons :) There is some psychiatric overlay with OB/Gyn that turns some women off from that field.

At the risk of getting flamed, I will say that there are similarities to the GYN aspect and uro --- both deal with the respective sexes and cancer issues that can arise (prostate CA for men, cervix/endometrial for women). Both have a clinical and a surgical side. Some women like these aspects, but would rather work with a male population for the above reasons I've mentioned. Plus in Urology, men can't have babies ---- yet another reason for some women to choose this field over OB/Gyn.

In my limited experience, roughly a quarter of patients who go to see a Urologist are women. Women get incontinence, kidney stones, kidney cancer, etc. just like men so there is certainly a role for women in the field if you assume that people like to go to Doctors of the same gender.

In terms of interest in Urology, the last statistic I heard was that roughly 4% of practicing Urologists are women and 15% of Urology residents are women. This year there were 70 women who matched in Urology and 176 men who matched. The match rate for both sexes was about 60%. Clearly it is becoming a more appealing specialty for women and it is unclear whether or how that will change the field.