Women's Suit Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhoisJohnGalt

NYC Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have one plain black suit, but I'm scheduling interviews so close together that I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to have a second one as well in case I spill something on the first one or some other similar disaster and don't have time to take care of it before the next interview. I'm looking at this one, and wondering if it's too "different" for an interview.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=417001&CategoryID=40425

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I already have one plain black suit, but I'm scheduling interviews so close together that I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to have a second one as well in case I spill something on the first one or some other similar disaster and don't have time to take care of it before the next interview. I'm looking at this one, and wondering if it's too "different" for an interview.

Thoughts?

It's fine.

Thoughts?

I think you're right about needing another suit. I did the same thing, I've got 2 actually and a back up pair of slacks with a dress shirt that I can match with either coat.

I like the suit you pointed out and I think it's fine. But, since you asked, I personally don't wear skirts b/c my legs always get cold which then makes me want to pee more frequently...But, I know plenty of women colleagues that pull of the skirt just fine...talent, I say!

G'luck girl,
A :)

P.S. The length of your skirt is the right length as well, not too short and not too long.

i think that suit is fine. macy's is actually having a suit sale this weekend -- not sure if the price reflects that or if you were planning on ordering it online or going to the store.

Do you guys think its okay to wear a non-black suit? I have a black suit as my primary suit for interviews but I also have a tan/beige suit as a backup..

Do you guys think its okay to wear a non-black suit? I have a black suit as my primary suit for interviews but I also have a tan/beige suit as a backup..

Yep, I think tan/beige is totally OK, especially in the South Atlantic where it's not so cold and the suit won't stain up. Also consider mother nature, I'm totally parnoid and avoid that color around those times. My back up suit color is light grey and my primary is a navy blue. So doesn't have to be black...I don't think, although I'm no fashionista...

:luck::luck::luck:,
A

P.S. Make sure it's not see-through though, those colors can be a little revealing of the underwear, especially if the undies are a darker color...

I have a skirt suit and I was wondering if it was acceptable to wear black boots with it when interviewing in the winter?

I'm not talking stiletto, thigh highs stripper boots here, but low heel mid calf type. Is it still too call-girl for interviews??

I have a skirt suit and I was wondering if it was acceptable to wear black boots with it when interviewing in the winter?

I'm not talking stiletto, thigh highs stripper boots here, but low heel mid calf type. Is it still too call-girl for interviews??

Not too call girl, but too casual.

Boots simply aren't dressy enough for the interview especially with a skirt.

Be careful when wearing a black suit (with skirt or pants), you don't want to look like you're attending a funeral.

You can't please everyone...:p Some people will hold it against you for wearing a black suit, then some might think non-black is not conservative/formal enough.

Personally, I try to avoid plain black suits because they are rather boring.
I have a brown suit with subtle multicolored stripes which I like a lot... (and it was on sale!). However, I knew I needed another suit because 1 suit is NOT enough if you're doing one interview after another... (despite what some guys have said that they just keep wearing 1 suit for 30 interviews straight but just change the button down shirt underneath --- gross! :eek:)
I had another suit from med school interviews but it's way too big now. :(

So... because of the time crunch, I bought an Express suit. Theirs are always really really cheap compared to most other stores... (plus a more flattering fit... although some might think their suits are not formal enough).
All Express had was black though. :-( Boring... I know. I looked at Ann Taylor and Banana but not only were they like $400 but also they only had really big sizes and not a good color selection either.
Oh actually Express had a gray suit but the fabric was really itchy.
OK enough ranting about suits.

Oh and in reference to the OP's link... I think the suit looks really nice and tasteful. More power to you if you can pull off a skirt. I don't look very good in skirts because I have short legs and the skirt seems to make that more noticeable. :(

Be careful when wearing a black suit (with skirt or pants), you don't want to look like you're attending a funeral.

I recommend checking out J.Crew for suiting...it's not cheap, but the fit on their Super 120s suiting is amazing! I also tried wearing the skirt for a whole day at the hospital and the fabric does not wrinkle. Color choices include standard black and a nice dark charcoal, and each suit is available with pants/pencil skirt/fluted skirt option...so I have 2 suits with 2 bottoms because a lot of my interviews are back-to-back and because I'm accident-prone.
On the black suit looking like funeral wear - I disagree. It's certainly in how you put the outfit together, but I'm avoiding too boring/too funeral by wearing a slightly more interesting shirt. It's all in the details.

i have worn dressy boots with a pant suit when it is snowing. i don't think boots would be appropriate with a skirt suit, though. some people wouldn't care, but it is probably best to be more conservative so that you don't get people judging you based on what you wear rather than your qualifications.

arr...so what kind of shoes should I wear when it is like -20 outside? :confused:

and I guess I cannot wear anything from Dansko??

Suggestions of where to find those comfortable yet professional shoes with heels? I got so comfortable with dansko clogs that all my previous heels just don't feel right....:-(

arr...so what kind of shoes should I wear when it is like -20 outside? :confused:

and I guess I cannot wear anything from Dansko??

Suggestions of where to find those comfortable yet professional shoes with heels? I got so comfortable with dansko clogs that all my previous heels just don't feel right....:-(

I just got a pair of Soffts that I've been really happy with... word to the wise: they need to be broken in, so I'd wear them around the house/out for a few hours for about a week before your first interview in them. Once they're broken in they're really nice and comfy. And they come in big and wide sizes too, which is a plus for me since I have giantesse feet.

Thanks for the shoe brand recommendation WIJG. I grew up never wearing shoes, so my feet are super wide, hard to fit, and now addicted to clogs!