Wondering if I went a little too top heavy/should I add more low tier MD/should I apply DO also? 3.8/516 half URM, music major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the middle of wrapping up secondaries, but I'm wondering if I went a little too top-heavy with my list. I really want to be starting medical school next fall. I REALLY do not want to be a reapplicant so I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot.

Here's some info:

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS: 3.8 cGPA, 3.74 sGPA
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 516 (128/127/130/131)
State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): I'm originally from Vermont, but I've lived in Colorado for the past two years.
Ethnicity and/or race: Half black/half white (but I'm light-skinned/racially ambiguous)
Undergraduate institution or category: University of Vermont (music theory and composition major)

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
1250 Hours of scribing for a surgical sub-specialty
900 Hours of ski patrolling for a major western resort. Led the entire patrol in most medical calls responded to for the 2019-2020 season (75). Atypical premed experience, but it was fantastic and I marked it as most meaningful.

Volunteer: no clinical volunteering. Was never scheduled for the hospital volunteering I signed up for.

Non-clinical volunteering:
250 hours + 100 future hours volunteering for a sexual assault hotline (talking to survivors in distress, going to SANE exams etc.)
30 hours + 200 future hours as a crisis text line volunteer (just started this in May. Have completed 30 hours of training, done about 25 hours and have committed to 200 hours in total over this upcoming year)
5 hours tutoring an inner-city high school kid who lived in government housing (hours are low due to frequent cancellations/conflicts).

Shadowing: 20 hours split between family medicine and emergency medicine.

Research experience and productivity: zip/nada. I was a music major and at this point, I won't be able to get any.

Anything else not listed you think might be important: Not sure if this all matters but I'll be the first person in my family to go into medicine. Both of my parents only graduated high school and I'm an only child. Also, my parents had significant health issues while I was growing up. Both of them have been disabled since I was 13. Mom had two strokes during brain surgery and my dad is a disabled veteran.

Here are the schools I've applied to and I'm about to finish secondaries on (I have less than 10 left):
UVM
Colorado
Utah
BU
Rosalind
Columbia
Hofstra
Drexel
Emory
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Harvard
Mt Sinai
Indiana
Kaiser
USC
Mayo
NYMC
NYU
Northwestern
Ohio State
Stony Brook
Rush
St Louis
Jefferson
Downstate
Tufts
Tulane
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UChicago
Pitt
Rochester
UVirginia
Vanderbilt
Weill Cornell

So yeah. Wondering if I went too top-heavy or if I should add some additional schools? Also not sure if I should apply DO or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Rosalind
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Georgetown
Indiana (not OOS friendly)
NYMC
Stony Brook (not OOS friendly)
Downstate (not OOS friendly)
Tufts

You don't need DO

The above schools might be donations as they're likely to think that you'll go elsewhere.
Consider adding all NYC Titans, Vandy, Baylor, Duke

Rosalind
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Georgetown
Indiana (not OOS friendly)
NYMC
Stony Brook (not OOS friendly)
Downstate (not OOS friendly)
Tufts

You don't need DO

The above schools might be donations as they're likely to think that you'll go elsewhere.
Consider adding all NYC Titans, Vandy, Baylor, Duke

Thank you for the reply! Looking back I realize some schools might not have been good choices.

Interesting that you suggested adding more top-tier schools to my list. I was concerned that I may have been too top heavy, but maybe not? I realize I'm in the 20-25th percentile with the top schools, but I've been worried about my 0 hours of research since they are usually pretty research heavy institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)