Word is out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted947887

Word is out. I feel good.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
RIP rad onc. The canaries spoke, nobody heard them, now we all dying of black lung. Crickets from “leaders”

RIP rad onc. The canaries spoke, nobody heard them, now we all dying of black lung. Crickets from “leaders”

You know when you get a toasted bagel with peanut butter and a glass of FRESH whole milk next to it?

This the opposite

• Haha
You know when you get a toasted bagel with peanut butter and a glass of FRESH whole milk next to it?

This the opposite

the funny thing about Zeitman’s “canary” analogy is 1)that he clearly didn’t mean it when he said it because he has been totally mute on the subject. 2) he used an anology from a dying fossil fuel industry (coal), knowingly or not ended up being perfectly apropos to us.

i agree the food in coal mines ain’t gonna be very good. At least you got a job tho?

This the opposite

So you're saying rad onc is the most delicious thing ever?
WTF All of that sounds awful. Seriously you took all the worst most basic foods ever and lumped them together.
That's good eating where the only jobs are these days tho (rural WI, MN, IA, ND).

• Haha
WTF All of that sounds awful. Seriously you took all the worst most basic foods ever and lumped them together.
That's good eating where the only jobs are these days tho (rural WI, MN, IA, ND).

Trying to soeak your language brotha!

breakfast dosa may be where its at in some places, then biriyani for lunch AND Dinner

Reactions: 1 users
If rad onc ever got Belle of the Ball status, she was gonna hold on to it tenuously. At the dance, the lights are low and many who look pretty aren't. Oh you got $150 million dollar proton centers? Oh you work 8-4 M-F? Oh you make $700K a year? Get them into light of day and eww butter face. Can't find a job. APM gonna AMF us? Now if you do get a job it's gonna be in the boonies with the coyotes. Rad onc's gone full coyote arm?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Some of those unmatched to surgical subspecialty have stats better than any of the rad onc MS4 candidates we interviewed this year. Happy that our field has sloppy seconds to rely on! A toast to the surgery subspecialties.

Reactions: 6 users
Some of those unmatched to surgical subspecialty have stats better than any of the rad onc MS4 candidates we interviewed this year. Happy that our field has sloppy seconds to rely on! A toast to the surgery subspecialties.
yeah didn't ASCO sort of predict this

3yhvam.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I grew up in Michigan. We had a saying there ‘what’s good for the surgeon is good for the rad onc’

No longer true :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my old program took an ophthalmology applicant. Never did a day in rad onc or had an interest in oncology.

I really resent them to an extreme degree.

• Angry
  • Okay...
Reactions: 11 users
I must say that I don’t get the appeal of trying to outdo each other insulting our field -I guess it is cathartic or something? Do you regret going into rad onc?... I know I don’t.

• Haha
I must say that I don’t get the appeal of trying to outdo each other insulting our field -I guess it is cathartic or something? Do you regret going into rad onc?... I know I don’t.

I love radonc and don't regret going into it. Sixteen years ago.

Reactions: 4 users
Nope, just glad i got over the bridge before it caught on fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Nope, just glad i got over the bridge before it caught on fire.

William Tecumseh sherman said burn all bridges.David Russel used to ponder regarding which bridges to cross and which to burn, hard decision in life he said. For today’s rad onc, this decision is easy, there’s no bridges, are all on fire. Rad onc “leaders” say to us “Frankly my dear, i don’t give a damn”.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
William Tecumseh sherman said burn all bridges.David Russel used to ponder regarding which bridges to cross and which to burn, hard decision in life he said. For today’s rad onc, this decision is easy, there’s no bridges, are all on fire. Rad onc “leaders” say to us “Frankly my dear, i don’t give a damn”.

As Lincoln said to Robert E Lee after Sherman’s reign of terror : ‘if you don’t know, now you know, trucka’

• Haha
I must say that I don’t get the appeal of trying to outdo each other insulting our field.

Welcome to America. It is possible to love your country without loving the decisions of leadership and their consequences.

Yeah my old program took an ophthalmology applicant. Never did a day in rad onc or had an interest in oncology.

I really resent them to an extreme degree.

I'll bet that if your program's chief residents asked for a real job, they'd be out of luck. There's not enough business need to justify hiring an attending, but there's always need for residents. It's the nature of the machine.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Welcome to America. It is possible to love your country without loving the decisions of leadership and their consequences.

Appreciate the warm welcome. I am new to this strange land... what is this “sloppy seconds” of which you speak? lol.

see scarb, he/she is serious

• Haha

I regret it. Not 'wake up in the kick my dog in the stomach' angry/bitter regret it, but I fully regret it. I do not see a future here. The more I work and the more "successful" I become, the more I appreciate how low the ceiling is relative to the previous generations. Ceiling defined as finances, academic time/opportunities, autonomy in practice, you name it. Don't care or endorse the snark posts, for what I put in this was a bad choice and due to the timesink of so many years of training and the outrageous debt, I can't undo my choice without hurting me more. The field is also setup that once you are in, you have to be really, really bad to be out. Generation of docs grandfathered in, the current maintenance of certification is about as hard as coloring within the lines (and even gives you enough time to look up the answers while you are doing it!). Great in terms of stress if you are in practice, bad in terms of refreshing a labor force and providing opportunity to new physicians, because the previous has no pressure to leave. Ever. Which is fine unless you dramatically increase training slots without adjusting for retirement age.... oh wait.

Here's my broken record
Old news, since then APM (reimbursement decline), CMS advisory changes (don't have to have body at Linac, we can even have academic leaders brag about doing academics while they are 'tele'supervising some poor soul at the machine), provide only downward pressure. Even here we are arguing about doing 5 fx breast because '3 weeks is too long', even though 1 Gy difference and cosmetic outcomes are worse when cosmetic.

Also feel a lot of my cohort, not all, feel the same
Have to read the article, and they did a great job burying the findings, but 50% of field was concerned about oversupply. Gives some credence to 'I know people who feel the same' statements.

Residencies keep expanding, fellowships keep expanding, payments and supervision keeps shrinking, fractions keep shrinking, and the APM aka "global reimbursement cut" is still law. It was bad before the APM.

I do my best not to post this over and over, really it has been a while, but every now and again I can't resist. I regret my choice in this field, based on the above, and regret that my 'leadership' does not seem to hear the concerns of the younger cohort of practicing rad oncs. And the worst part is, I'm not even that bad at my job! It would be much easier then. Ah well, maybe next career.

• Angry
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users