Work in Turkey post anesthesia residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McPoyle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm an American citizen finishing up med school at an American allopathic school, and just matched into an anesthesia program here. I'm involved with a Turkish girl who's family still lives in Istanbul and so, I am now looking to see what it would take to get licensed and hired as either an anesthesiologist or intensivist in Turkey.

Can anyone provide any insight into how this can be accomplished?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

The new law says foreigner doctors are allowed to practice if their diploma is accredited.Before the law doctors of foreign citizenship could not legally work in public or private hospitals. Now they can work in private hospitals and clinics.

www.yok.gov.tr that is the website of the official organization that gives accreditation to the diplomas.

i havent met anyone in your case, but for Turkish doctors who has completed the residency abroad, it works like that; they hand in their documents to the organization and make their application. if their institution of residency is listed on equivalent institutions (usually universities of America and western Europe are) their degree is accredited. (The length of the residency program is important too.) If it's not they are placed in a public university or hospital clinic to work with a chief doctor and spend 6 months, and later they pass an oral exam. Foreigners pass a Turkish exam too, which i assume the level of language is expected at least intermediate.

good luck!