Working after internship year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrbrown2bsu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating/playing with the idea of working immediately after internship part-time in a quick-care clinic. I have a business venture that I'm also working on for income. I'm not sure about the details and was hoping somebody could help answer some of my questions.

I will be completing an AOA approved (osteopathic) internship year. I was wondering how long it takes to obtain a license after completion of internship? Also, how long can you work with just an internship under your belt? Will I have to go back and complete a residency eventually? I'm thinking about moving to California to work too.

Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your state. Some states take a long time, some are quick. Also, some states will require more than just an internship year to get licensed, especially as a DO. Check the Federation of State Medical Boards website for the details, they have a pretty easy to use chart with each state's requirements.

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

All FSMB licensure requirements for MD or DO are either identical, or require *less* time for the DO to gain licensure. This only happens in states with dual MD and DO Board(s) of Medicine. Maine, Michigan and New Mexico come to mind. In those states you can gain licensure before MDs, though as mentioned, getting hospital priviledges without board certification will probably not happen.

I've heard it takes about 3 months in CA

Members don't see this ad :)
You may find it is a lot harder to find work without completing a residency than you think it will be. I would only stop residency if you truly have a plan about what to do. It's going to get harder and harder for docs with no residency completed to practice. It's a function of the gov't, insurance companies and increasing regulation. Be careful.

So if one is not doing a residency after the first year, it is harder to find work compared to someone moonlighting?

Yes, because somebody with 1 year of residency is not really considered qualified to practice independently in this day and age, at least not by most people who would be doing the hiring. It's a little different if you are a resident moonlighting, b/c there are often internal moonlighting opportunities (at least in IM) where you at least have some backup/supervision and/or the attendings would be seeing all the admitted patients promptly the next a.m., or even sometimes giving you input over the phone at night as you are doing the admissions. Many/most teaching hospitals wouldn't have a need to hire outsiders to do this type of moonlighting, and taking on somebody they don't know to do this type of work is a liability for them. Likewise, it would be as much or more of a liability for private medical groups or hospitals. There might be some places that are desperate that would take you, but those doing the hiring at most institutions really, really want people to have completed a residency - your training isn't really considered complete without one.

The old school "gp" with only 1 or 2 years of residency is going, going, gone in many areas of the country. Even if one did manage to find a full time job, which I dobut, I would say long term prospects for a stable clinical job would be grim. You'd always be looking over your shoulder wondering if they are going to can you in favor of a doc who has finished residency, and probably board certified as well.