Working as pediatric DENTAL assistant - good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorIn10Years

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I want to be a pediatrician. Currently I work at a pediatric dental office as an assistant. Would experience as a dental assistant count as medical clinical experience? Or Would you recommend I quit and find a more "medical" related job?

Members don't see this ad.

It's pretty relevant. You can learn a lot about anesthetics and sedation as well. Just make sure it's not your only exposure.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
I want to be a pediatrician. Currently I work at a pediatric dental office as an assistant. Would experience as a dental assistant count as medical clinical experience? Or Would you recommend I quit and find a more "medical" related job?
I would count it, but I suggest you would benefit from exposure to acutely ill and injured people with a variety of ages, perhaps through a volunteer position, in addition, ideally somewhere where physicians work. A variety of physician shadowing might accomplish the same thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If they're consistently paying you a decent wage for agreeable work, don't quit.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

Relevant! Anything that deals with talking to those in the healthcare field is relevant. In my humble opinion, anything that involves communicating with patients is clinical experience. Now you will want some medicine exposure which you can get through shadowing. I also recommend perhaps doing a little bit of hospital volunteering, but don't underestimate the value of a job. I'd imagine it shows maturity.