Working in rural areas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homo sapien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 1st year podiatry resident and I have a question. I'm from a heavily underserved/rural area and I was thinking about possibly going back to those types of areas post residency (not necessarily the same exact place but similar).

How exactly would one start hunting for contacts in those areas? Do you think it would be better to try to join on with some group or maybe try to start one's own practice, if the need was clearly there? I know that right now I'm just starting out and it's not close yet but I've been thinking about it in the back of my head

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a 1st year podiatry resident and I have a question. I'm from a heavily underserved/rural area and I was thinking about possibly going back to those types of areas post residency (not necessarily the same exact place but similar).

How exactly would one start hunting for contacts in those areas? Do you think it would be better to try to join on with some group or maybe try to start one's own practice, if the need was clearly there? I know that right now I'm just starting out and it's not close yet but I've been thinking about it in the back of my head

Start contacting hospitals in the underserved areas and inquire if they are willing to hire you. I would do everything possible to join as a hospital employee or as a podiatrist in an affiliated multi specialty group rather than join the local podiatry group.

Reactions: 3 users
I work in a smaller underserved area and it is great. Although it does take some time to change the perception of what a podiatrist can do (more than chip/clip). You may be a little early to be contacting hospitals as the landscape could change greatly in the 6 years prior to you entering the market. Below is some information I have provided people via DM about small rural hospitals:

In general the experience you will have approaching groups/hospitals will vary greatly depending on the area that you are attempting to get a job. I would suggest looking at small hospitals or small suburban multi specialty groups and contact their recruiters (they usually have a physician recruiter in house) and explain that you are looking to practice in their area. This can be done by phone or e-mail. Most will politely take you cv and say they will keep it on file. Politely follow up every so often and you may be surprised on opportunities that arise.

I would think of some attributes/services that you can provide to better their group/hospital. This should be ready just incase they inquire.

Small critical access hospitals love podiatry because we do mostly outpatient surgery and keep the OR busy. The critical access hospitals get paid well for surgery from Medicare and thus podiatry can be a cash cow for them.

The process will not be quick and the trick is getting your name out there as most jobs that I know of are typically filled before they post. The people with cv’s on file get calls well before the position is even posted.

Edit: I misread thinking that you are a first your student. Now that you are coming to the end of your first year of residency start contacting as noted above.

Reactions: 1 users