Working with difficult doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the thoughtful advice. I actually received a great PM from someone outlining many causes of chest pain that I was unaware of. Good to know!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. It takes time to know when a study in PubMed is junk or to know how to properly interpreate the finding (you need background knoweldge and training to really understand the significance of a study).

I work with the medical literature for one of my jobs. I read all sorts of medcial journal articles.....some of them are very hard to understand without a background as an MD).
Sometimes it is not a question of time, but more a question of logical and mathematical/statistical prowess. Many professors didn't graduate in maths, physics, but took subjects like history and philosophy instead. And some just don't have the skills, even though they have risen in rank.

Don't fall for logical fallacies of appeal to authority.

And I guess since I haven't started my PA program yet, you could call me pre-PA-S.

Classic. After all this time of having PA-S in your signature, stating you were PA-S, you are not?

"B" traits anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Classic. After all this time of having PA-S in your signature, stating you were PA-S, you are not?

"B" traits anyone?

What are "B" traits?

Not that it's really any of your business, bradt, but I was accepted close to a year ago and start in a few weeks. That constitutes PA-S to me. Will you feel better after my first day of class, should I come back and post as a PA-S then :laugh: In case you don't understand the system, let me explain. "Pre-PA" refers to people who are still in the process of finishing up their studies and requirements, and who are usually prior to application/interview. "PA-S" applies to students who are accepted as currently active members of a student body. I hope that helps?

Last edited:
What are "B" traits?

Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I'm guessing he's referring to Cluster B personality traits. Refer to your aforementioned abnormal psych book for more info.

Thanks Sparkleflower, I just looked. I see vague references to "clusters", but no specific such indexing is listed in this book. I was familiar with Axis categorization, but not clusters.

No, bradt9881, I've never been found of having any psychological disorders that I'm aware of, although I'm sure we all showcase "traits" from time to time. Please refrain from any more personal attacks.

I'm astounded every day when my interpretation of an article in Pubmed is trash because I dont have sufficient clinical background to take the information in context.

Not only the interpretation, but also being able to know enough of the clinical side to realize when a study is not apples to apples.

During the beginning of my clinical psych training I realized quickly that while I knew more than the vast majority of people out there about a particular area, I knew far less than my mentors and people who have been working/teaching/researching in the area. It wasn't so much about factual knowledge as it was about integrated knowledge. Being able to take a set of data, analyze it, and then synthesize a solution was where the gap was apparent. I may have known WHAT to do and HOW to do it based on book knowledge, I did not know as much about the WHY because that took more experience and "trench" work than I had at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.