Worried about my institutional action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akon01

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was notified that there was evidence of me violating the student honor code. It's been 7 months of me fighting it since I did not cheat on my exam (we had a group phase and all my answers were the ones I discussed with my group, and I provided proof of this) but the main reason why I am being told I violated the code was because I looked at an online source that I didn't know we weren't allowed to look at. This website I looked at was one that I was allowed to use at my previous institution before I transferred to this school, so I thought it was okay for me to look at.

You may be wondering why I looked at this website? I was basically confused about a few concepts that we were being tested on so I was doing background research to help me understand while also using my notes to help me understand the concept. It ended up being that me accessing this website, despite not using anything I saw in my exam's answers (I provided proof that my answers were unchanged from what my group and I discussed) they are saying that I still violated the honor code. I got notification today that I will be getting a one-semester suspension for the summer, and I am appealing this because I think this punishment is disproportionate to what was done (me accessing a website I didn't know I wasn't allowed to access).

Regardless of what the end result of my appeal is (hopefully they'll lower this punishment), I know this counted as an IA from the day I got a notification from my school. I'm not applying to medical school yet, but I know this is something I will have to report. I will report it because I've always been someone that values honesty in everything I do. I'm the type of student that values hard work and honesty, so much so that I've told my Professors when they've entered in a grade higher on my online grade book than what they wrote down on my assignment.

Knowing all the information I've given you thus far, how bad do you think this harms my chances of getting accepted into a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Was your exam open-note/open-book or specifically open-any resource?
As far as I remember, it was open resource but we were not allowed to use that specific website. I sadly didn't know this, especially because I was allowed to use this website at the school I was at before this one (this incident also occurred during my first class ever at this school, so I had no experience)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused what kind of website is this? Are other websites allowed in the exam?

From the way you posted this, what I'm reading is you accessed this website during the group phase with the intent to look for more background on the concept? I don't see how ignorance of not knowing you couldn't use a website or not using what was on the website in the answer absolves you of guilt. At my school, even the attempt (ie viewing the website) is treated the same as actually committing the cheating.

I am confused what kind of website is this? Are other websites allowed in the exam?

From the way you posted this, what I'm reading is you accessed this website during the group phase with the intent to look for more background on the concept? I don't see how ignorance of not knowing you couldn't use a website or not using what was on the website in the answer absolves you of guilt. At my school, even the attempt (ie viewing the website) is treated the same as actually committing the cheating.
It was pretty much open resource, which is why I was confused. I understand how what I did was wrong, though it is unfortunate that in this moment of being anxious and confused I made a mistake like this. I'm just now stressed about how ADCOMS are going to look at this situation

If it truly were open-anything, your professor would have no recourse. I don't think that's the case, however. No one can really determine how badly this will hurt your application if we don't know what specifically the policy for the exam was

Reactions: 1 user
If it truly were open-anything, your professor would have no recourse. I don't think that's the case, however. No one can really determine how badly this will hurt your application if we don't know what specifically the policy for the exam was
Basically, the exam policy was open resource and discussing with your group mates. There were specific websites that were prohibited to use, one of which I went on unknowingly, and they saw my information having accessed the site

Nobody can tell you how this is going to work out for you. Just simply explain it and do a better job than you've done here) and more importantly own it.
This.
And you need to explain it way better than you did here. I’m not really sure what happened. And it’s time to deal with it and own what you did. I have to say ,your excuse that the source could be used at your former school so you assumed it could be used at your new school, isn’t convincing. You made a mistake, you got caught and now you have to own it and deal with the consequences.

Reactions: 2 users
I know people with DUIs and drug related legal history who were still able to get in med school, but not anyone with an academic integrity violation. I would appeal appeal appeal, and if thats rejected just own up to it and don't deflect responsibility. Also some schools have a policy where they will remove these IAs from your transcript if the appropriate amount of time has passed (~7 years), and you completed everything they asked you like write a paper about it, community service etc.

Nobody can tell you how this is going to work out for you. Just simply explain it and do a better job than you've done here) and more importantly own it.
Yes of course. I've made the mistake and acknowledge it and have taken steps to avoid ever being put in a situation like this again. More importantly, something I remember I felt in that moment was a sense of imposter syndrome and anxiety (there is a lot more to the story than I put in the post) that also contributed, and I've taken steps to resolve this as well. I'm not sure of how I'd explain it though because I feel like with these types of things, the wording can be really tricky

This.
And you need to explain it way better than you did here. I’m not really sure what happened. And it’s time to deal with it and own what you did. I have to say ,your excuse that the source could be used at your former school so you assumed it could be used at your new school, isn’t convincing. You made a mistake, you got caught and now you have to own it and deal with the consequences.
It isn't an excuse, it is just a piece of what contributed to that moment. I was confused about a few concepts, I emailed my group members questions, they didn't answer, and I started my research in an attempt to understand the things I was confused about. I unknowingly went on an unauthorized source thinking it was approved to use. Nothing on my assignment was altered (I provided documents of proof) but am being sanctioned because I looked at an unauthorized source.

I realize how I could have done better by double-checking my syllabus or asking my peers what sources we were allowed to use, but in that moment I felt I was short on time and I made a horrible mistake.

Also yes, my school has the policy for IA removal after a certain amount of time but even when it does get removed, I will still have to put it down. I don't want to be dishonest in my application, especially as someone who values integrity and is going into a field built on the basis of morals and honesty.

I don't know how ADCOMS will look at this, but I also don't know how to explain it for when I do apply.

Here is my 2cents from the other post you made
Just because you didn't know it was cheating does not make it not cheating. My opinion at this point is to accept the punishment and show in the next year of schooling you have changed and how you learned from it. I do not think it is a deal breaker if you have no other red flags but it will make it harder. You might also have to delay applying to show you have changed and matured

Reactions: 1 users
Here is my 2cents from the other post you made
Just because you didn't know it was cheating does not make it not cheating. My opinion at this point is to accept the punishment and show in the next year of schooling you have changed and how you learned from it. I do not think it is a deal breaker if you have no other red flags but it will make it harder. You might also have to delay applying to show you have changed and matured
This incident occurred in Fall of 2020 but the resolution is in July/August of 2021. How long do you recommend waiting to apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.