Worried Freshman Pre-Dental Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bio2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm sorry for the lengthy post!
I am currently a freshman Biology major at the university in which I hope to attend dental school (reason why I am here). I moved to a city from a rural area this August where I was your average high school student. I am a hispanic first generation high school and college student, so I am especially curious about details, tips, and especially experiences from university pre-dental or dental students. I am currently in Pre-dental society, so we have had our last two meetings at the dental school!! I love the atmosphere in PDS and in the dental school! We actually have had symposium where we were able to suture and attend mock interviews. Each time I am there I feel so motivated, but intimidated. I see all of my competition, each one of the freshman I have met there have had A.P. chem, bio, english, physics, or calc, etc. Our school only offered A.P. english and bio which I stupidly did not join. I now have biology, chemistry,with labs and 3 gen eds. I am aiming for the Reserved Admissions program offered for dental school in which requires a 3.6 math and science gpa, and a recommended 100 hour shadowing. I would apply after my sophomore year.
Anyways, my main reason I am writing this is because I had my 2nd Biology exam today. I got a 70 on my first bio exam, which was above the 64% average. And heres more: I failed my first chem exam, too. I thought I remembered everything for H.S. chemistry so I didn't study beyond the assigned homework, my next test is in 13 days. I know that was my biggest mistake.
Back to my 2nd bio exam. I re-listened to lectures and did the study guide, when I walked into the exam room I think anxiety got the best of me. I couldn't concentrate on what was being asked and my arm started to feel numb. I know I got below a passing grade. I understand I might have extreme test anxiety since attending college because I only have 4 test to prove myself, I went to speak with a counselor on campus. Honestly, it could be due to the lack of studying, that i didn't do as compared to people who think they did well.
The good news is that our worst exam is dropped from both our chem and bio grade (in bio on the final i think i have to get over a 75 or 85% to be dropped). Least to say I still am overwhelmed, anxious, and worried. I know a test grade doesn't define me, but do these test scores foreshadow the worst to come?
Thanks!​

Members don't see this ad.

The first two years of college are generally more difficult than the last two years. These sciences often hit freshman like a freight train and you're not alone with the anxiety, overwhelmed, and struggling experience. If you can swing A's and B's you'll be in a decent position for getting into dental school. Especially if you remain focused the last two years and get mostly A's. There is a reason why many students have upward trends on their transcripts: easier classes and improved study habits.

Fortunately for you, you still have time to turn yourself around and avoid putting yourself in a huge GPA hole. The bio, g-chem, o-chem, and courses are soooo critical and getting A's will help you tremendously in all your science courses and really help when you have to eventually take the DAT.

The intimidation factor is just a part of life but you really need to start believing in yourself. You can do it. You are definitely at a disadvantage without taking the AP sciences while in high school, yet you fell for the classic mistake:
I thought I remembered everything for H.S. chemistry so I didn't study beyond the assigned homework

If you do all the homework, use outside resources like Khan academy or youtube, study hard for exams and quizzes, and make it a point to meet with your instructors during office hours to ask them questions and even feel out what their expectations are then I guarantee you'll start really improving. These are instructors you want to write you strong letters or reqs down the road -- make some good connections.

It's not easy and you're competing with every student at every university. Fortunately, a very hard work ethic will get you to where you want to be.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response! Did you come in college with a good work ethic or have you created that work ethic over the years in college? If so, how did you improve your work ethic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Start looking into a special masters program ASAP.

Thank you for your response! Did you come in college with a good work ethic or have you created that work ethic over the years in college? If so, how did you improve your work ethic?

My college experience is different than most. I went to a community college... then got distracted with part-time jobs, family tragedy, and a bad group of friends. After one year of college I had a C in a 5 unit calculus class, a B in my first Bio class, and a B in my first G-chem class, and a W on my transcript. The C was killing my GPA... I honestly felt like my back was against the ropes. I buckled down and took school super seriously -- I tried to imagine school as a full time job where I needed to put all my effort into. Once I buckled down I earned a 4.0GPA all the way up to transferring to UCLA where I was still able to keep a strong GPA.

I always had a great work ethic but I didn't always have best school work ethic. Once I tried to imagine school as a sport or job then I was able to really excel. To be honest, at a certain point my competitive side came out and I really wanted to be the best student I could be. Don't sell yourself short by knowing you could have tried harder.

Start looking into a special masters program ASAP.

Or not... Keep your eyes on dental school.

Reactions: 3 users
The more exposure you have in your science courses, the better you will perform later on in your higher levels. At my University the professors made the entry level courses very difficult to weed out the weak and to see who would succeed. I think its great that you are involved in the pre-dental society, but do not worry about the competition you currently see, when you are a senior you will be in a completely different place with more experiences that will make you stand out. Just study hard, ask older students in your club for advice in your classes and how to do well (and what professors to take) and have some fun as well!!

On the outside every seems intimidating, and on the inside (most) we feel insecure. Always put your best foot forwards and you have nothing to worry about. Play your own game, and don't worry about the others.

...that being said - get involved in your predental club, and those that you think really shine, learn from them! Take similar classes, share notes etc. Its really beneficial - just make sure you contribute back to the ecosystem as well

Well, the first thing you need to do is to stop thinking about yourself in relation to your "competition." The only person you should be competition with is yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
make it a point to meet with your instructors during office hours to ask them questions and even feel out what their expectations are then I guarantee you'll start really improving.

Thanks for the advice!!! Your story is very admirable!!! My biology professor was actually in our mandatory biology lab (we basically just sit in a computer lab for 1 hour a week for points) and I told him how I am sure I didn't do well on the test. He suggested I make an appointment once the test grades were in! In the end he actually just made the appointment right in front of me. The cool thing was that he remembered what my name was out of his 300ish students from the day I introduced myself when school started!!! It made my day! Though I wonder what kind of information or advice he can give me other than studying more and earlier. Maybe he'll go through the test and look through what and how to focus on a subject.

He seems like a nice teacher and seems eager to help his students when they ask! Definitely intimidating at first sight. I hope I can form a good student professor relationship so maybe next year he can write a letter of rec (if my grade improves) or for my undergraduate research later. Do you think he would be a good letter of rec for my application after sophomore year if my grade improves since he is a professor of a lower level science class? He's also a biology advisor.

Do you think he would be a good letter of rec for my application after sophomore year if my grade improves since he is a professor of a lower level science class? He's also a biology advisor.

If you get an A or end up doing research with him then yup, definitely! Even if you get a B you should still get one.. doesn't mean you'll end up using it if you can get even better ones...

I'd recommend using a 3rd party LOR website -- this gives you the most control over your LOR's. Interfolio is a popular LOR website. The only thing you have to remember though, having old LORs isn't all that great but not horrible. It's best to have LOR's dated within about a year of your dental application.

He may be able to give you some more specific advice, such as how to study rather than how hard to. You can study incredibly hard and not do well; so much of success comes from becoming an effective learner. For me that meant doing lots of practice problems. I could know the material very well but find myself unable to put it together on the test if I had not practiced answering questions before hand.

I'm only a Junior currently, but I definitely remember feeling like that. Don't worry, a few tests your freshman year won't make it or break it for you. Learn from your mistakes, get to know your professors if you can and don't be afraid to ask for help. Fake it till ya make it. I wasn't sure how I would get through all of the harder parts of gchem, but now i'm doing well and in biochem now. if you are motivated enough, you can do it! just believe in yourself and don't give up. i know it sounds cliche and silly.. but just believe in yourself and work hard. you'll get there.

Thanks! Are late nights necessary for all college students to get atleast As and Bs? or do these people have poor time management skills. Im taking calc with chem 2 and bio 2 (15 or 16 credits total) with an easy class. and I'm scared about late nights since I'm definitely not a math person.

No, they don't have to be. You will have late nights for sure, but try to take care of yourself the best you can by getting enough sleep as consistently as you can and you will be much better off that way! Don't run yourself to the ground. :)