Worry Low Score on VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at a selective private university with major in Biology and minor in economics. I took the MCAT test last summer and got 33 with PS = 14, BS = 11, and VR = 8. My cGPA and sGPA are about the same (3.6). I believe I have sufficient volunteering hours (including volunteering at hospital) and research (no publication, though). I will go to UT Suothwestern Medical Center SURF program this summer and plan to apply to the followiing schools (tentative) for the 2014 - 2015 cycle:
University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Case Western
University Wisconsin
University of Maryland
Albert Einstein
NYU
Penn State
Thomas Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
I am a PA resident and worry about the low VR score. What is my chance to get to the top 5 med schools in my list? I will add some less competitve schools to my list later.
Thanks for your advices.

Members don't see this ad.

That is a rough spot. Your overall score is great but I know you never want below an 8 on a category. Definitely not good enough for your reach schools.

MSAR Online is your friend.

I'd rule out Pitt, UVA, Case, and U MD. OOS public schools favor the home team, so one has to be > avg for them. Aim for other mid-tiers and more low-tiers.

I am a junior at a selective private university with major in Biology and minor in economics. I took the MCAT test last summer and got 33 with PS = 14, BS = 11, and VR = 8. My cGPA and sGPA are about the same (3.6). I believe I have sufficient volunteering hours (including volunteering at hospital) and research (no publication, though). I will go to UT Suothwestern Medical Center SURF program this summer and plan to apply to the followiing schools (tentative) for the 2014 - 2015 cycle:
University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Case Western
University Wisconsin
University of Maryland
Albert Einstein
NYU
Penn State
Thomas Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
I am a PA resident and worry about the low VR score. What is my chance to get to the top 5 med schools in my list? I will add some less competitve schools to my list later.
Thanks for your advices.