Medical Worth taking Physiology before applying to Med/DO school?

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I'm tracking for the MCAT and admissions this upcoming year and need to fill out one class for purposes of receiving housing benefits (using GI Bill). My options are narrowed down to Intro to Physiology or Intro to Geology; does taking Physiology provide me real benefit going in to applications? I know it will be help for the MCAT, but the idea behind Geology is it'll probably be pretty mellow to go play with rocks and help me de-stress my overall situation (de-stress being a relative term here). Would that be a bust versus getting after Physiology in this situation? Any feedback appreciated!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Any type of Intro to Physio class is not going to help for the MCAT or medical school. You will cover the entire into class in basically a week in medical school. IMO, if you do not need the course, take the easier course.

Do whatever help your GPA. Nobody looks at the specific courses you take, they just look at the bottom line numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to see your syllabus to see if an Intro to Physiology class really helps you with your MCAT preparation; and I'd want to see what else you are taking/have already taken with biomedical science courses. Otherwise, if it's just to maintain your GI Bill benefits, whatever helps you. There are no bonus points given for being a martyr with your schedule.