would a liberal arts minor increase range of schools I could apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chadori

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm consider a liberal arts minor during my gap year because I believe it would increase my breadth as an applicant. Would this increase the variety of schools I could realistically apply for?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think about a liberal arts minor........now ask yourself with a straight face why anyone would be impressed with a liberal arts minor.

Now laugh off the silliness of that and just major/minor in what you want and get good grades

Reactions: 2 users
What even is a liberal arts minor?

Reactions: 1 user
@JustAPhD I'm currently a liberal arts minor enrolled in Email Security 101, Coping with Betrayal, and Parkinson's Dz Management.

Reactions: 1 users
Why isnt there a conservative arts minor? Is this another liberal, progressive conspiracy?
How do we even know if certificates are even accurate? It says from America, but I'm sensing something of Kenyan origin.

I asked because a minor in philosophy, which is within the liberal arts college at my school, would provide an avenue towards medical ethics in med school.

I'm consider a liberal arts minor during my gap year because I believe it would increase my breadth as an applicant. Would this increase the variety of schools I could realistically apply for?
No

Only do it if you're really interested. My understanding is that schools want to know what you did in your gap year and why you chose to do that thing. If you have a genuine interest in learning about something outside your field and can speak easily and well on the subject, this works in your favor. If you're doing it because you think they will look good, you'd better have a very believable "interview reason" why you chose to pursue your extra studies.

the biggest/only way I can see this having a substantial effect on your application is being able to get a good non-science letter of recommendation out of it, if you don't already have one.

the biggest/only way I can see this having a substantial effect on your application is being able to get a good non-science letter of recommendation out of it, if you don't already have one.

I can get an MD letter for non-science, but I've just recently found out that may not be the best thing to do, which puts me down a letter unless I can do 3 science letters.

I will say that it may open the number of schools you can apply to IF you will not get 4 semesters of humanities. I used AP credit to cover some of my humanities requirements and I eliminated some schools based on the number of humanities prerequisites they require. If you are a biology major in the college of Arts and Sci, for example, you will probably get those humanities anyway.

I can get an MD letter for non-science, but I've just recently found out that may not be the best thing to do, which puts me down a letter unless I can do 3 science letters.
fyi, some schools require a non-science letter from a professor/lecturer that you had a class with