Would appreciate input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meedp1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Wanted to get some input on how I'd fare for top MD/PhD programs.
Research- 4 years (including summers) + gap year of research while I apply (all in one lab, famous PI, great rec letter). 2 years spent on other people's projects. 2 years on thesis; hopefully a first author publication out of it.
Cumulative GPA- 3.78
Sci GPA- 3.68
MCAT- taking in June, practice tests in 518-520 range.
Undergrad- Ivy
Other extracurriculars: great overall (diverse, tons of leadership, shadowing, and volunteering)

Schools I was shooting for (these are just on the top end, will obviously expand list to include a range): WashU, UPenn, Michigan, Emory, Case Western, Mt Sinai, Cornell Tri, UChicago.

I guess my main concern is my science GPA. Will this prevent me from getting my foot in the door? If so, is it a better idea to just apply MD (I'd prefer not to do this, but if I have to.....)?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on what you have accomplished! Good luck on your MCAT, but despite everything, you must apply to 15-20 MSTP programs and perhaps a couple of safety programs. If you get too many interview offers, you can start triaging. However, the picture changes if you get, for example, a 515. In that case, you must open your mindset and apply, 5-10 dream MSTP, 5 strong match (mixed of fully funded MD/PhD programs and less competitive MSTPs), and 5 safety MD/PhD programs (still fully funded).

Every Admissions Committee reacts differently to GPAs. You are still competitive but for the very top MSTPs. If you ace the MCAT, you might have a chance... but know, top MSTPs have hundredths of applicants with similar or better academic numbers for their sixty MD/PhD interview slots.

Thanks, Fencer. Appreciate the advice :)