Would I be a good candidate for postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gibson777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am going into my junior year at a UC school. I am a non science major, which I intend to finish. I had hoped to try and fit in the pre med requirements during my time there, but it doesn't seem like I can fit it all, but I could maybe finish a single series of Chem, or the physics series etc. I had tried to take them at my CC during my time there, but had a hard time getting into the classes. I could always go back and finish them there, but I know that is looked down upon.

My questions are:

Would I have a chance of getting into a post bacc directly out of undergrad? This is of course dependent on how things go and how I feel once I graduate, but it seems like this is a good option. Also, if you don't have any research experience or the ability to get letters of recommendation from science professors, would a postbacc cover all this?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To answer your question: yes. I finished my undergraduate in 2014, and am now enrolled in a formal post bacc program. I surprisingly found myself in good company, as many of my classmates have just graduated and are in the same boat. The amount of those who enter straight from undergraduate degrees is increasing.

As for the whole "looked down upon thing," as far as post bacc goes-- don't take ALL your pre-reqs at a CC, but start off at a CC (just to gauge how well you could do, and get an A) and then take the remaining classes at a 4 year. As for a post-bacc, honestly it depends on what you're looking for. I'd say research experience as a post-bacc is limited. Many of my classmates are worried about the opportunities for research, but since many of us came from a variety of career paths and are career-changers-- by the time we'd be qualified for any real research... we're going to be applying to medical school. I wouldn't worry too much about research, worry about shadowing and volunteering. (Though if you're lucky and you can snatch a connection at a local hospital, you may be able to get on a research team.) LOR's are easy to come by, provided that you make yourself known to the professors and do well in class. Some programs have a committee letter, though the program I am in does not (because it's smaller.)

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
To answer your question: yes. I finished my undergraduate in 2014, and am now enrolled in a formal post bacc program. I surprisingly found myself in good company, as many of my classmates have just graduated and are in the same boat. The amount of those who enter straight from undergraduate degrees is increasing.

As for the whole "looked down upon thing," as far as post bacc goes-- don't take ALL your pre-reqs at a CC, but start off at a CC (just to gauge how well you could do, and get an A) and then take the remaining classes at a 4 year. As for a post-bacc, honestly it depends on what you're looking for. I'd say research experience as a post-bacc is limited. Many of my classmates are worried about the opportunities for research, but since many of us came from a variety of career paths and are career-changers-- by the time we'd be qualified for any real research... we're going to be applying to medical school. I wouldn't worry too much about research, worry about shadowing and volunteering. (Though if you're lucky and you can snatch a connection at a local hospital, you may be able to get on a research team.) LOR's are easy to come by, provided that you make yourself known to the professors and do well in class. Some programs have a committee letter, though the program I am in does not (because it's smaller.)

Best of luck to you.
Awesome! I am trying to figure out how to fit in requirements at my school right now, and then I might try and finish the rest once I graduate. But I'm not really sure where I'll stand with ECs (I am an Econ/Math major) since I was at community college. I know some postbacc programs don't want you to have taken any prereqs, but it'd be a lot cheaper if I can spread them out at my school and CC. I know some are similar to if you never have taken any prereqs, and some act as a GPA enhancer. I have a 3.8 right now so hopefully I can keep it up.