Would it be a waste of my time to apply now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aussie204

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a biochem major at UW Madison and graduated with a 3.4 gpa. I kind of let the social scene get the best of me. I did my masters in public health after also at Wisconsin and finished with a 3.9 which included 3 As on graduate level science courses (tox and immunology courses).

I have decent extracurriculars. I was a D1 athlete for 2 years (quit due to the time commitment and missed classes). I then played club which I was president of and captain. I volunteered at the boys and girls club. I was a part of MEDLIFE and went on a 2 week mission trip. I was also fundraising chair for that club. I had about 2 years of research experience in a medical physics/cancer research lab that resulted in 2 publications (one co-first author). I also have a 3rd publication from my masters field work, but it's not in a science intensive field (more statistics). During my masters I worked at a clinic for developmental disabilities for about a year and thats what my research was in for my 3rd publication. I also spent 2 years working as a pharmacy tech during school and worked for a semester at a pharmaceutical company as a chemist between undergrad and grad school since I graduated in winter. I have about a year of volunteer experience in the ER and a small amount of shadowing experience. However, I did work with MDs on my masters project and sat in a lot of meetings with them discussing patients. I have two really strong letters of rec from the PIs I worked with and a third good one from an MD.

Also I got a 512 on the MCAT. Would retaking that help? I'm not positive I would be able to do better though. Is there anything else could I do to help my chances other than retake classes?

Members don't see this ad.

I say go for it. People here will try to scare you but I mean, why wait another year? I feel like you have a shot at getting in. You could probably at least get into Cal Northstate. I know that's a school people warn against, but an MD is an MD in my book.

Your MCAT is the strength of your application. A re-take would be foolish.
WI has a 28% IS matriculation but your research and MCAT are good for plenty of schools (equivalent to a 32).
You really need professor letters for MD, though...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's too late to apply now.

It's also stupid to retake a 512. Hold very still while I give you a dope slap.

You will improve your chances by increasing your GPA, joining the military, or have an exceptional EC like TFA, Americorps, Peace Corps, or work in a hospice. Hint: service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Your MPH will not add anything to your app....neither will the mission trip.

I was a biochem major at UW Madison and graduated with a 3.4 gpa. I kind of let the social scene get the best of me. I did my masters in public health after also at Wisconsin and finished with a 3.9 which included 3 As on graduate level science courses (tox and immunology courses).

I have decent extracurriculars. I was a D1 athlete for 2 years (quit due to the time commitment and missed classes). I then played club which I was president of and captain. I volunteered at the boys and girls club. I was a part of MEDLIFE and went on a 2 week mission trip. I was also fundraising chair for that club. I had about 2 years of research experience in a medical physics/cancer research lab that resulted in 2 publications (one co-first author). I also have a 3rd publication from my masters field work, but it's not in a science intensive field (more statistics). During my masters I worked at a clinic for developmental disabilities for about a year and thats what my research was in for my 3rd publication. I also spent 2 years working as a pharmacy tech during school and worked for a semester at a pharmaceutical company as a chemist between undergrad and grad school since I graduated in winter. I have about a year of volunteer experience in the ER and a small amount of shadowing experience. However, I did work with MDs on my masters project and sat in a lot of meetings with them discussing patients. I have two really strong letters of rec from the PIs I worked with and a third good one from an MD.

Also I got a 512 on the MCAT. Would retaking that help? I'm not positive I would be able to do better though. Is there anything else could I do to help my chances other than retake classes?